Will Any Damage Happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a non-wet clutch UTV that is spec'd for 2w-50 synthetic. The previous owner rarely used it and only ran it for short trips. When I bought it, the dipstick had some of the milky looking stuff on it and in fill hole. Oil looked fairly new.

Will I cause any damage if I drain the oil (leave oil filter), fill with 15w-40 (I have a jug on hand), run for a few minutes, drain, and then fill with the spec'd oil and new oil filter?

The goal is to remove any of the milky substance that could be in the engine.

Last edited:
You need to run it for more than a few minutes. The mayonnaise on the dipstick is water mixed with the oil.

I would run it with the existing oil under moderate load for at least 1/2 hour to get it good and hot. Then do your change if you don't know when it was last done.

You'll be fine. I did exactly that when I bought my motorcycle.

But changing the oil won't be enough to get rid of the white stuff.. Get that sucker running hot for a while and you'll give it a proper drying out.

I would let the milk drain over night. Change to a cheap oil filter, new 10W40 oil, start it up and let idle for at least 30 mins to get it up to temp. Drain it hot....again over night. Then go with a good oil filter, the correct oil and run it until you feel it needs changed. I would not let that milky diluted "stuff" in there at all. But this is me........and you are you. Either way Good Luck!!!

that 2w50 spec is another old Polaris Scam to get you to buy their oil. I dont think you can even find that stuff anymore. I have a 2019 RZR Turbo and 5w40 is all you need.

Just ride it around hard for about an hour and get it nice and hot, that will get the moisture out of the oil and clear it up.

But doing what you stated will not hurt anything either.

get it real nice and hot and it will all disappear.. also a good idea to get it really warmed up good even if you are going to change the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back