PEVs and The Environment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ws6

Why is it that people make this so binary? I often see threads or hear conversations that go like this:

"I want a *insert PEV*"

Then someone will respond "Lithium mining...*picture* *child labor* *link to article about environment* pEVs wont save the planet!"

Well...okay...but instant torque is cool and if your electric company is affordable and or you have solar, saving money on gas, oil changes, etc is kindof "a thing..."

I could care less about strip mining or fossil this or that or greenhouse. Why must people always tie PEV to "green" mindset? For many of us interested in them now and in the future, that has nothing to do with it.

Life is easier for most people when every issue is boiled down to 'them vs us'.

To play devil's advocate here, isn't this a "I want ___" and someone will respond "no you really want ___ because ___ is awful because of ___". Someone will say they want MPFI so as to avoid DI, and then someone will harp on them for being luddites. Someone will say they want a CVT and they'll get told they're buying a grenade. Fast car? what are you wasting money for. AWD? that's for people who don't know how to drive.

On and on and on. Doesn't matter what it is, it'll find its detractors.

Originally Posted by supton
To play devil's advocate here, isn't this a "I want ___" and someone will respond "no you really want ___ because ___ is awful because of ___". Someone will say they want MPFI so as to avoid DI, and then someone will harp on them for being luddites. Someone will say they want a CVT and they'll get told they're buying a grenade. Fast car? what are you wasting money for. AWD? that's for people who don't know how to drive.

Right, but "environmental impact" seems to be a major topic that people harp against with PEVs even when it isnt even a factor for the potential buyer in the least.

Originally Posted by supton

There is always that but then the exchange of ideas even when confrontational helps

Although the environment should always be a major concern, I think e-cars are the future. Too bad Harley's e-bike is so expensive; I really like the idea of it too with lots of torque, lower maintenance, lower cost to operate, etc.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Although the environment should always be a major concern, I think e-cars are the future. Too bad Harley's e-bike is so expensive; I really like the idea of it too with lots of torque, lower maintenance, lower cost to operate, etc.

If a guy rode a Harley E bike to Sturgis, they would give him a weggie.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Life is easier for most people when every issue is boiled down to 'them vs us'.

This is a recent development, it helps keep people in line so they vote correctly

Can't have your own opinion anymore

Working on gas and electric forklifts and now days the electronics are somewhat similar, they can have their advantages. And as my usual comment will there be the electrical grid to support a majority of electric vehicles

People said the same thing about horseless carriages. Most people aren't bright enough to establish a thoughtful opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back