Can I delay this oil change up to say, 8500 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell Helix Ultra 5W40
17138 km (10650 miles) in 2005 Toyota 1.3 K3VE MPI.
50 hr blotter spot.

Absence of centre zone perimeter ring.

20190108 Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 17138 km in K3VE  50 hrs c.JPG

Mobil 1 New Life 0W40
9642 km (6026 miles) in 2005 Toyota 1.3 K3VE MPI.
48 hr blotter spot.

..... and going.

003.JPG

Last edited:
Lots of engines do just fine with 10,000 mile intervals.

I have to go in hiding now, as the BITOGers will be out in force with pitchforks and torches for me after this comment.

Originally Posted by SeaJay

I have to go in hiding now, as the BITOGers will be out in force with pitchforks and torches for me after this comment.

Lol, no pitchforks or torches from me! I've settled on 10k miles as my default OCI. I use conventional and synthetic interchangeably, seems to make no difference. 10,000 is the new 3,000 !!

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
Originally Posted by SeaJay

Lol, no pitchforks or torches from me! I've settled on 10k miles as my default OCI. I use conventional and synthetic interchangeably, seems to make no difference. 10,000 is the new 3,000 !!

Originally Posted by Garak
Looking like it's going easy, too! No problems there.

In spite of local available Euro II 500 ppm sulfur fuels, I believe blotter spot test has inferred most Grp III synthetics is good for 15000 - 20000 km OCI , if not more.

Mobil 1 New Life 0W40
a)13021 km (8138 miles), and
b)14341 km (8963 miles) ..... in 2005 Toyota 1.3 K3VE MPI.
48-72 hr blotter spots.
Oil replaced in conjunction with parts replacements of ori engine and transmission mountings,front crankshaft and oil cooler seals and O2 sensor that caused increased fuel consumption.

Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 13021 km in Toyota Avanza 1.3L MPFI.jpg

201910 M1 NL 0W40 143xx km Blotter.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I must admit...learned a few things on this thread...still not sure exactly what I'm looking at, but did learn something (read through some of the links and found it interesting). Doesn't seem all that hard to do, but I don't have a lot of confidence in really "reading" the results I'm seeing. For instance...if someone didn't tell me what the actual mileage was from the oil readings, I don't think I'd really be able to tell much unless it was really new oil or really worn out oil.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Well, I must admit...learned a few things on this thread...still not sure exactly what I'm looking at, but did learn something (read through some of the links and found it interesting). Doesn't seem all that hard to do, but I don't have a lot of confidence in really "reading" the results I'm seeing. For instance...if someone didn't tell me what the actual mileage was from the oil readings, I don't think I'd really be able to tell much unless it was really new oil or really worn out oil.

Blotter spot test isn't equipped to tell the mileage of an used oils, just as is the case with UOA.

It is qualitative, and takes a certain level of experience to 'read' it indeed, as some allude to reading tea leaves.

Not sure if the following would help in guiding you towards reading a blotter spot:
Source:Machinery lubrication website.

Spots 7 and 9.PNG

Spots 9 image.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by borgward
I let one oci go to over 9,000 miles. TBN was way off from 7000 mile oci. Car seemed peppier after the 9,000+ oci. Mobile 1.

That's interesting 'deviations' ??
Mind sharing the said UOA, as I consider BlackStone assertion that TBN>1 being fit for continuing service as valid though others may disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back