2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Tow Test

Original thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ith-new-tacoma-v6-manual-4x4#Post5166631

On paper, the 3.5L looks weak. Only 278 HP, and 265 ft-lbs at a rather high RPM. However, when hooked up to the manual gearbox, it became a surprisingly capable machine.

It still felt like an older truck, but in a good way. The 3.5 had more power in the lower RPMs than expected, and it handled a 4500 lb. boat and tandem axle trailer pretty easily, even in the mountains.

Unless you need (or want) the TRD Pro goodies, however, you can just get the TRD Off-Road. You'd still get the V6 and manual gearbox, locking rear diff, and 4WD. Suspension wise, you'd get Bilstein suspension (that's way cheaper to replace when it wears out) and a slightly shorter track versus the FOX shocks and wider stance.

More thoughts for those interested: https://chrisleoonline.com/2019-toyo...rd-pro-review/

Originally Posted by dareo
In before the "gotta have a 3/4 ton to tow anything" posts.

Sure … anytime what is towed outweighs the tow rig - things can happen quickly. But in fairness - most of the debates here have been over long and tall RV's … not 4500 pounds boats with a low CG and good aerodynamics

How many standards vs. Automatics do they sell? A boat doesn't have the wind drag of a trailer and is very streamlined. Do the same test towing a 4500lb camping trailer.

The thing with campers isn't so much the trailered weight as it is the additional gear that you end up bringing with you.

With a 4500 lb. camper, you'd be at the maximum payload of a midsize pretty quickly.

Either way, as long as everything is in spec, I don't think this would have much issue towing one, even at highway speeds.

I pull by 18" fish and ski with my 2007 prerunner automatic. No tow package just added a trailer hitch (Curtis). The brakes are a little weak but not bad you do feel the inertia of the extra weight since the boat weighs almost as much as the truck. On the pulling side, I snatch that boat of any launch I've come across. no problems.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I pull by 18" fish and ski with my 2007 prerunner automatic. No tow package just added a trailer hitch (Curtis). The brakes are a little weak but not bad you do feel the inertia of the extra weight since the boat weighs almost as much as the truck. On the pulling side, I snatch that boat of any launch I've come across. no problems.

Do you have the 4.0? I read a lot of Taco guys preferred the 4.0 to the 3.5 for towing due to the torque that the 4.0 has down low. I found the 3.5 to have more power down low than I thought it would.

Is your trailer braked? Curious what kind of boat you have and what the total weight is. Mine is tandem and has disc brakes on one axle. Even stopping hard from 55 MPH on a hill, I never felt like the brakes were weak at all. It actually seemed to stop better than my Dakota with four wheel discs.

Nice job on the video. I just get a "page not found" when clicking on the link, though.

I know a woman that towed a 24' closed bow boat in the late 80's with a 1st gen 4WD 4Runner 3.0 and 5-speed manual. That boat and trailer was easily 6500 lbs. 3k lbs more than that 1st gen 4Runner was rated for. She used an equalizer hitch, and it did surprisingly well even grossly overloaded, pulling in the mountains over 5k feet in elevation.

I'm sure that Tacoma could tow to it's rated capacity with no trouble.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Nice job on the video. I just get a "page not found" when clicking on the link, though.

I know a woman that towed a 24' closed bow boat in the late 80's with a 1st gen 4WD 4Runner 3.0 and 5-speed manual. That boat and trailer was easily 6500 lbs. 3k lbs more than that 1st gen 4Runner was rated for. She used an equalizer hitch, and it did surprisingly well even grossly overloaded, pulling in the mountains over 5k feet in elevation.

I'm sure that Tacoma could tow to it's rated capacity with no trouble.

Im not sure what happened to the link - the forum doesn't allow edits to original posts, apparently.

Try this: https://chrisleoonline.com/2019-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-review/

That's funny you mention that woman towing over 6k with an 80s 4Runner. My manager has one, and used to tow trailers all over the country with his. He thought I was crazy when I was worried about towing a boat with an 03 Dakota with the 4.7L V8.

I wouldn't ever exceed a vehicle's tow limits, but 6400 pounds would've been no issue for the truck, whether it's a boat, camper, utility trailer, or otherwise.

The best part is when you're not towing, the truck is manageable for all types of conditions. It fits in a standard garage with room to move around it. You can park it anywhere in the city. Dare I say it's even fun to toss around on back roads?

This may be the only truck I would actually consider a manual in due to the poor shifting quality of the AT. I drove the regular TRD Off-Road version and didn't like the AT. I'm not sure if the AT in the Pro is programmed any different.

A lot of the guys at TFL that took the mid size trucks up Ike Gauntlet said it's preferable you stay under 5k lbs. They were also using a very square trailer too.

thumbsup2.gif
Nice review.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Do you have the 4.0? I read a lot of Taco guys preferred the 4.0 to the 3.5 for towing due to the torque that the 4.0 has down low. I found the 3.5 to have more power down low than I thought it would.

I think the Toyota fanboy's just prefer the old engine due to no direct injection, emissions pump, etc. I feel the 4.0 is a DOG compared to the 3.5. It will get going (the 4.0), but you gotta really lay into it. Don't even think about passing anybody quickly with the AC on. Don't get me wrong it'll get moving, but it's not the magical engine everybody claims it is. It's noisy, shaky, and a total PITA to work on in some areas.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda

Is your trailer braked? Curious what kind of boat you have and what the total weight is. Mine is tandem and has disc brakes on one axle. Even stopping hard from 55 MPH on a hill, I never felt like the brakes were weak at all. It actually seemed to stop better than my Dakota with four wheel discs.

Yes 4.0 V6. No TRD turbo or any upgrade. base drivetrain. its a Nitro 185 sport. weight is about 1600 lbs with 150HP engine. no brakes on the trailer.

Originally Posted by Delta

I think the Toyota fanboy's just prefer the old engine due to no direct injection, emissions pump, etc. I feel the 4.0 is a DOG compared to the 3.5. It will get going (the 4.0), but you gotta really lay into it. Don't even think about passing anybody quickly with the AC on. Don't get me wrong it'll get moving, but it's not the magical engine everybody claims it is. It's noisy, shaky, and a total PITA to work on in some areas.

I have to agree on the 4.0 vs 3.5 as I compare my wifes sienna 07 3.5 to my 4.0. Just touch the gas pedal and that big ole van moves. Probably better for my gas mileage for me that I don't have that engine or I would be "in it" much more often that I am now.
smile.gif

I just drove a Colorado Z71 that felt much more refined than the Taco. Also way more powerful. Not sure how good the 8 speed auto will be long term, although I heard GM fixed it with new fluid.

I honestly still prefer the 03 Dakota with the V8 and manual transmission. It has great power, and sounds amazing. Fingers crossed Ram offers a Hemi in the 2021 Dakota.

I just drove a Colorado Z71 that felt much more refined than the Taco. Also way more powerful. Not sure how good the 8 speed auto will be long term, although I heard GM fixed it with new fluid.

I honestly still prefer the 03 Dakota with the V8 and manual transmission. It has great power, and sounds amazing. Fingers crossed Ram offers a Hemi in the 2021 Dakota.

I liked the Z71 better than the Tacoma as well but the transmission was a concern of mine.

Have they determined why the Colorado's and Canyon's are blowing their airbags for no apparent reason, and applied a fix?

Back