Garage queen vs driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured the gap between a 400 000 k car vs a 89 000 car would be wider, just goes to show you could be enjoying your toy instead of looking at it. I know general consensus is it hurts re-sale etc, but hopefully people watch this and see they could be enjoying these vehicles a bit more than they actually are. Obviously do not have to go to this extreme, but prospective buyers and sellers should look at examples like this and be less concerned about overall mileage and just make sure you maintain properly and all should be ok, without having to stress about how many K are on your vehicle....buying or selling.

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-409-000-mile-bmw-m5-compares-to-a-garage-queen-m5-1838808621

Last edited:
I figure a big thing is that most people who can afford a car that is a 'garage queen' also has a main car that makes more financial sense to be driving on a daily basis.

Didn't say to daily drive a car like this at all. Not sure how you came away with that conclusion. I'm saying the people who do and are in the position to own cars like this who hold back on driving them, or people buying for that matter, that more K sometimes doesn't mean the car is diminished in its performance. Less looking, more driving.

Originally Posted by Pew
I figure a big thing is that most people who can afford a car that is a 'garage queen' also has a main car that makes more financial sense to be driving on a daily basis.

I know some people who like to keep a nice car and a beater. I figured there wasn't much of a price difference between the two so that's why both my cars are Mercedes. I'm not really sure which one is the beater, I swap between the two. One for local and the other for long distance.

And who knows you could be avoiding some issues buy doing what you are, it's good to stretch your vehicles legs with regularity, vehicles do not like to sit for extended periods.

Both are equally bad. Obviously if you daily drive a car it's going to have a lot of wear and tear.

And if you have a garage queen, then chances are you're going to get hiccups every now and then. Maybe not as much, or at all even, if it's a brand new car, but if you got a used car that is at least a few years old but low mileage, then yeah you're going to get hiccups. And if you have an older car, regardless of miles, and it's a garage queen, definitely.

I have 2 cars, one a weekend car, and the other a daily. I wouldn't call my weekend car a garage queen because i treat it just like my daily, except i drive it on the weekend. I don't pamper the car or dust it off every 5 minutes. It's a car, and i use it, just on the weekend. And my daily i use every single day. When they get old, i just sell and trade them and start over.

I don't get attached to my cars anymore, at least not as much as i used to a decade or 2 ago. So when the warranty expires, even before it happens, i already trade them for the next one.

I no longer drive my Caddy to work...mostly because my company terminal is in a REALLY bad neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Both are equally bad. Obviously if you daily drive a car it's going to have a lot of wear and tear.

And if you have a garage queen, then chances are you're going to get hiccups every now and then. Maybe not as much, or at all even, if it's a brand new car, but if you got a used car that is at least a few years old but low mileage, then yeah you're going to get hiccups. And if you have an older car, regardless of miles, and it's a garage queen, definitely......

My sig line car 1999 Camaro - now at 19K miles. Bought it used 8 yrs ago with 12K miles. 20 yrs old. It sits most of the time in the garage. Goes out for a 15-25 mile run every 2-4 weeks. Still waiting for the first hiccup. Though I did have to replace the AC compressor when I first got it (really the original owner's hiccup that he "dumped" on me along with a failing passenger side power window motor....lol). So in reality, zero hiccups on my ownership.

Last edited:
If you did a good job of picking your car, you will love it and want to drive it all the time.
My '02 Camaro is my favorite car of all time. I have driven it hard, and maintained it hard. 275,000 miles and counting. I still love driving it. Just going through the gears in traffic is satisfying.

Last edited:
The 77 in my sig has 184,000 on it and is now a garage queen since the 454 was built and installed. The 95 GMC will never be a garage queen because it`s the winter beater.

A friend of mine has a 2018 Demon that has a little over 10,000 miles on it. Some people have told him that he's nuts for driving it that much. I agree with his thoughts, why pay for a car that you can't enjoy? Drive it, drive it, drive it.

Drive your dream car! Don't keep it in mint condition for the next owner. Life is short,enjoy your car while you can.

Never understood the desire to own a car only taken out for short rides on a sunny Sunday morning, but to each their own.

My 70 Monte Carlo and my 14 Mustang are pretty much garage queens though the Mustang stays under a carport. I only drive the Monte Carlo probably once a year. It has a big block in it and gets terrible gas mileage plus it's stored at a different location than where I live.

The Mustang only has 31,000 miles on it and I drive it occasionally. Since it's under a carport with vehicles parked behind it, it's a pain in the [censored] to move all the other vehicles to get it out so it usually just sits. Plus it has some type of roaring noise that every place including the dealer says is tire noise so that takes the fun out of driving it. The tires still have a lot of tread and I'm not wanting to sink $1,100 for new tires just to see if that is the problem.

My fiancee has an 07 Mustang GT with only 24,000 miles and it's a carport queen too.

I am of the opinion that cars, especially supercars, should be used regularly as ya never know when that perfect situation shows up. Whether it's a complete break in traffic, an opportunity to sell at a profit, a new business deal or a worthy stoplight foe. I could say something about saving a supermodel wife for the next guy, but I won't.

The Mustang has been rained on seven times. I know a couple of the times I was forced into driving it while my DD had work done. One of the others was a freak rain that wasn't predicted. It's putting maybe 1500 a year on it at this point and that's fine by me. The guy I take it to for mods is amazed by the condition of it.

My dad still has a 1980 F-150. 130k on it. It's a bit sun faded from the CA location, but still runs like a champ. It's pretty amazing to drive a near 40 year old vehicle. We've come a long, long way.

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
A friend of mine has a 2018 Demon that has a little over 10,000 miles on it. Some people have told him that he's nuts for driving it that much. I agree with his thoughts, why pay for a car that you can't enjoy? Drive it, drive it, drive it.

One of the guys I work with has a 2015 Hellcat with almost 60,000 miles on it, drives it everywhere. Says the same thing, why have a car if you don't drive it.
He actually does have a "garage queen", an '87 Jaguar XJ6 with ~35,000 miles, it was his dad's car.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Drive your dream car! Don't keep it in mint condition for the next owner. Life is short,enjoy your car while you can.

I have always thought the same. why get a dream car to just stare at? What are you saving it for?

I sold my 67 GTX because I couldn't drive it enough and space issues. Not that I didn't have the time but it was just not practical. I drive all of my other cars all the time. Rain or shine, but I admit if it is really supposed to storm bad I take my truck.

I also drink my good wine/whiskey and smoke my best cigars.

I get the people who enjoy collect/protect but I like to use my stuff. I would seriously be the guy who would dd a Ferrari 250 gto if I could afford it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back