Kia 2.0 GDI Oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 15 Soul 2.0 GDI with approximately 105000 miles. I have notice a pretty high oil consumption of about 2.5 qts in about 2k miles. I have been using super tech 5w-20 full synthetic. I did some research and spme people said to replace the PCV valve. we will see if that makes any difference. Can anyone point me to an oil with a low volatility. Preferably not in the ultra high end category like amsoil etc.
Thanks

I highly doubt changing the oil will make a difference. Super tech went head to head with Redline on Project farms test of evaporation loss. It was a close fight that redline slowly edged out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwqt5vI0o1A

Three main things.

1) Coked piston rings allowing oil to get burned.

2) PCV

3) valve guides leaking.

all of this assuming there was no oil leaking onto the ground.

Forgot to add that underbody was dry. i changed pcv. how would I know of the other 2 main reasons?

Evaporation ain't your problem...

Bump it up to a 5/30 HiMi or maybe even a 10w30. The HiMi may or may not help with oil loose rings and valve seals but at +100k miles that train may have left the station. If you're not doing extended drains you might consider just using a dino since your cars got a drinking problem. An El Cheapo UOA would give some visibility into just how how "bad" things are inside... something to consider.

I have done a few UOA's on this engine it didnt show any issues. I am very good with oil changes with an interval of about 5000. This issue has started recently. I am going to change the oil soon and really keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted by rmcnamara
I have done a few UOA's on this engine it didnt show any issues.

A problems never a problem until it's a problem.... So past UOA's are basically irrelevant at this point.

Sounds like you prolly know what to do already... good luck ðŸ‘

Last edited:
I'd bump up a grade in a HM oil. Or try a Kreen, Rislone, or MMO treatment with a higher viscosity HM oil.

Finding out which is it is a job for a mechanic. They have diagnostic techniques. it might be a wet and dry compression test for the rings and a bor-o-scope check for the valve stems.
I would hit up the KIA forums to see if someone successfully stopped oil consumption after it started.

Many moons ago I use to heat about Maxlife doing that very well. Now with all the high mileage oils on the market, they might be worth a try as well. Give them 2-3 OCI to work though not just one. it takes a while to correct the problem.

I never recommend oil additives but Scotty Kilmer recommends AT-205 reseal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZngmqiVezAY&t=180s

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd bump up a grade in a HM oil. Or try a Kreen, Rislone, or MMO treatment with a higher viscosity HM oil.

Plus 1 for kreen and hiMi 5 w-30 supertech

The really important point is to keep it from running low and potentially damaging the internals.
So checking the oil level at each fuel fill would be good, like pretty much everybody did 50 years ago.

I am going to be keeping a close eye on it. I had seafoam on hand so I added that and in a couple of days i will be changing the oil with some PYB hi mileage 5w30.

This seems to be a common complaint with Kia. I'm on the Sorento forum with 140k on mine checking out what other owners have commented on oil use. It started burning at 120k and I'm watching it diligently. PCV valve has been changed. I noticed on a recent trip up I80 to Reno/Carson City from the Valley, the dipstick registered on the high mark at the start and at some point when I topped off the tank when I was up at Carson City, I checked the dip and it hovered close to the low mark.

Last edited:
I have run about 1100 miles since the change it has burned a little more than a quart. Is that considered excessive?

Originally Posted by rmcnamara
I have run about 1100 miles since the change it has burned a little more than a quart. Is that considered excessive?

Well just sayin my Corolla has just used a 1/2 quart in nearly 6700 miles now. The most oil it has ever used by the way. Of course if your a Stealership anything under two gallons in 1000 miles meet your standard for no warranty work. I'm just wonder if the Corolla has gotten close to that mythical Toyota 140K and now we begin to use oil?

I would just add high mileage oil in a thicker viscosity and send it. Kia/Hyundai are some of the worst vehicles on the road. IMO I would pay the extra $$$ for a premium brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back