MOTORCRAFT FL-500S CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon folks
smile.gif

Interesting and very troubling story with this filter and oil combo. Off my co workers 2019 Ford F-150 XLT truck with 5.0 and plastic oil pan.

So, he had local dealership 20 miles from our work do oil change, etc, warranty stuff like new seat recline recall (which is a total joke I think and so do my 2 other co workers/mechanics) Truck had last oil change at 12k and dealership noted there was like 1.5qts in sump. Friend has been adding oil a LOT and unhappy. Local dealership decided to throw 10w40 in sump with new MC FL500S filter. I did not see any leaks anywhere and I find a nasty bulletin on rocker arms and other bulletins. Co worker was watching me change oil and about 6qt came out. Capacity per owner manual is 7.7 quarts 5w20. I installed MC 5w20 blend he supplied and MC FL500S filter. Told him I would seriously push the "oil consumption issue" with Ford. That is NOT acceptable IMO. Truck now has 17,554 miles on it and does 98%highway driving.

Enjoy the pics and I have saw/looked at over 10 F-150 trucks using or..... oil issues at work. Not a laughing matter as it's disgusting some dealerships go to a God awful thick 10w40 oil
frown.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

53'Stude
Did you notice any leaking around the oil pan mounting flange. I know there have been some problems with sealing on those things.

Originally Posted by MParr
53'Stude
Did you notice any leaking around the oil pan mounting flange. I know there have been some problems with sealing on those things.

I did not. Dealer he has been using decided thicker is better. He is seriously thinking of trading it on a new Explorer.

Its bone dry underneath so......

That's a smooth move, then it a serious cold snap hits & the 10W40 won't flow, Ford bounces his warranty. We've had 3.7 Transit engine issues ourselves, Ford does all they can to get out of fixing them.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
That's a smooth move, then it a serious cold snap hits & the 10W40 won't flow, Ford bounces his warranty. We've had 3.7 Transit engine issues ourselves, Ford does all they can to get out of fixing them.

Yeah, he is not happy with the dealership I will say that. Good ole' Ford engineering at its finest

Originally Posted by Jason_Michaels
That stinks. Its like the problems are engineered into production. I love Ford but would never trade my tacoma for a ranger.

AMEN! I wont touch a Ford unless it is a Taurus or Explorer

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Yeah, he is not happy with the dealership I will say that. Good ole' Ford engineering at its finest

LOL another great idea from Ford.

Note for you: these new 5.0's actually hold 8.8 quarts for the 18+ coyotes in the trucks. A 40 grade won't hurt them but I wouldn't recommend a 10 winter rating unless it's in a hot climate. A 0 or 5 winter rating is much better in my opinion. They should be doing the consumption test and he may end up with a new engine. Though I have 3 of them and they all used oil when new. And as the miles racked on it subsided and no top up oil is needed per interval.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Isn't there a TSB on the 2.7 for oil consumption?

Perhaps there is... but the truck in question is a 5.0 Coyote engine

Originally Posted by Linctex

Ford TSB on 2018 F-150 with the 5.0L V8 oil consumption. See attached PDF file.

TSB only addresses 2018s, but not sure if it's been updated to include 2019s ... might be possible. Ford dealers should know.

MAJOR work for the repair ... long block replacement.
eek.gif

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 89
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

TSB only addresses 2018s, but not sure if it's been updated to include 2019s ... might be possible. Ford dealers should know.

eek.gif

This applies to the 2019 models as well. Using over a quart every 3,000 miles gets you a new engine.. Your Ford dealership will work with you. Make sure you have the TSB in hand when you go in.

eek.gif

This applies to the 2019 models as well. Using over a quart every 3,000 miles gets you a new engine.. Your Ford dealership will work with you. Make sure you have the TSB in hand when you go in.

I'm really surprised that Ford replaces these engines if they use a quart of oil in 3000 miles. Most manufacturers say an engine using a quart in 1000 miles is still acceptable (probably to get out of warranty work).

Zee0Six
It's right there in the TSB. Over one quart per 3,000 miles. But, each step in the TSB must be followed to get that engine. If it were my truck, I would certainly be trying to get a new engine.

Zee0Six
It's right there in the TSB. Over one quart per 3,000 miles. But, each step in the TSB must be followed to get that engine. If it were my truck, I would certainly be trying to get a new engine.

Yep, I know the 1 qt in 3000 miles is in the TSB, that's why I made the comment. It's hard to believe from the standpoint that most automakers say up to 1 qt in 1000 miles is acceptable. Knowing how Ford tries to get out of warranty work, it's surprising knowing how other makers spec oil useage.

eek.gif

Sorry, don't know where i got 2.7 from...
confused2.gif
crazy2.gif

The replacement long block that the dealers are installing in the trucks that are oil burners .... what's different about that engine that's gona solve the problem or is it crap shoot and just hope it's a better engine. If it's the fix for the problem why isn't that replacement engine being used on the production line.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
The replacement long block that the dealers are installing in the trucks that are oil burners .... what's different about that engine that's gona solve the problem or is it crap shoot and just hope it's a better engine. If it's the fix for the problem why isn't that replacement engine being used on the production line.

Darn good question. When I heard they were going to plastic oil pans; I almost threw up in my mouth. Another world champion engineer there

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by kstanf150

Darn good question. When I heard they were going to plastic oil pans; I almost threw up in my mouth. Another world champion engineer there

And the twist in oil plug ...³...³...³...³

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back