Help me choose Wix vs Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'll be doing my first oil change on my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with the 5.7 next month. I know that the Fram Ultra has a higher micron rating but it's my understanding that its slightly more restrictive in Gpm vs the standard wix.
I live in NH so over the winter the filter will have to overcome harder starts, leading me to want a higher flow filter (bypass valve not withstanding) but I've always liked the Fram ultra's in my previous vehicles due to the micron rating. Any Insight would be greatly appreciated
Oil will be PUP 5W20

Last edited:
Where are you seeing that the Fram Ultra is flow restrictive as compared to the Wix? For my application a Wix oil filter is far more restrictive compared to a Fram Ultra or even a Tough Guard oil filter.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Just buy a Mopar filter and be done with it.

Nope.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Fram Ultra is the easy winner here.

- Better flow
- Better filtration
- Better price

Yep. . . .unless your filter interval is under 10,000 miles, in which case the FU is wasted.

The Fram Ultra is a good filter with good flow but so is the WIX/NAPA Gold. I would go with the NAPA Gold because the Fram Ultra costs a little more.

Originally Posted by JLTD
. .unless your filter interval is under 10,000 miles, in which case the FU is wasted.

I disagree. Wouldn't it still be beneficial to have the higher filtration for that shorter interval?

Originally Posted by NissanHauler
So I'll be doing my first oil change on my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with the 5.7 next month. I know that the Fram Ultra has a higher micron rating but it's my understanding that its slightly more restrictive in Gpm vs the standard wix.

How do you know? You have flow vs delta-p data for a standard WIX filter?

Here's data for the Ultra: LINK

It's funny how people make conclusions with not test data.

Originally Posted by NissanHauler
I was just looking at the stated gpm rating

Which is a pretty nebulous "spec" since nobody explains exactly what it means. The best data is flow vs dealt-p at a known oil viscosity/temperature. Also, that data is hard to come by.

. .unless your filter interval is under 10,000 miles, in which case the FU is wasted.

I disagree. Wouldn't it still be beneficial to have the higher filtration for that shorter interval?

While I can't disagree with the premise but the answer is, will we ever see the difference during the ownership of the vehicle? Unless the filter fails and ruins the engine something else will cause the sale of the vehicle before the specs of the filter. Or the choice of any of the major oil companies oil choices with the proper specs.

I second that motion
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by CT8

While I can't disagree with the premise but the answer is, will we ever see the difference during the ownership of the vehicle? Unless the filter fails and ruins the engine something else will cause the sale of the vehicle before the specs of the filter. Or the choice of any of the major oil companies oil choices with the proper specs.

I agree CT8 ... A Wix/Napa Gold that is 95 percent at 20 microns and 50 percent at 6 microns is just fine. A Fram Ultra will not make a hills beans worth of difference for any vehicle driven 200,300 or 400 thousand miles or more.

Sure; I was trying to make the point that the Fram Ultras are rated for 20,000 miles.

As stated above by another member, there is no conclusive testing on engines...Wix's 95% at 20 µm vs Fram's 98% isn't huge....but could make a difference.
21.gif

I also went with the BITOG-esque attitude of $aving money, hence the term "wasted". If OP is fine paying a bit more over each interval, then the Ultra will filter 3% better, plus he uses Ultras on his other vehicles. Whether or not 3% better filtration is worth the extra coin is a decision for OP.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use the Wix for a shorter interval, FU for a longer interval or even two shorter intervals.

On my '16 RAM Limited 5.7 4x4 -- I bought a bunch of Mopar filters off Rockauto and have used them up and now am using a mini stash of Wix filters. I think either of these or a Fram UItra are the best choices.

I run Mobil 1 0w/30 because I have not yet "seen the light" to use a 5w/20 lol.

Oh and enjoy the huge mess that the hemi leaves getting the oil filter off! It runs everywhere...brake clean is your friend afterwards!

Originally Posted by Gebo

I second that motion
thumbsup2.gif

Isn't a Mopar filter a Purolator product?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back