Castrol Edge 5w30 A5/B5 - Influenced by Buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally I ordered some PP Euro 0w40 SN+ from Walmart.com

When I went to pick it up it was the old SN formula so I didn't accept it. Lines were long at normal checkouts so I bailed on Wally World.

Grabbed some lunch and read some BITOG. Ended up down a rabbit hole of M1 an Edge threads as they are both ACEA A5 rated (new Tucson specs A5). I ran across like 70 Castrol threads created by buster in the last month (barely exaggerating)
lol.gif
Ended up sold after reading all that marketing material!

Grabbed a jug of Edge 5w30 SN PLUS at the Home Depot on the way home.

Thanks Buster
thumbsup2.gif

Anyone have a link to the latest Castrol PDS for the SN PLUS Version?

Any info on Edges base oil specs in the U.S?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
The 2016 Tucson specs A5 SN+?

It does not spec SN+ I just want LSPI protection as it's a 1.6TGDI engine.

Technically it specs 5w30 ACEA A5 as the "preferred" oil. Many other grades allowed. I was looking for an SN+ 0w40 to run in it but was unable to source without paying $10-12 a quart.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
LOL yeah I went a bit nuts with EDGE lately.

What got me on this Castrol kick was Magnatec. I do a lot of severe service/short commutes now so Magnatec's performance claims for this type of driving was appealing. That then lead to the Ti additive. Let me be clear though and say that I don't necessarily think Castrol EDGE is better than any other full synthetic. Being like many on this forum, I like to try other oils out once in a while. My last car only had a diet of Mobil 1 for 60k miles. I like to stay with one brand if possible. I'm not 100% sure I'll stay with EDGE but it's in there now.

They do make some interesting claims though as I posted in the other threads.

Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.856
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm2/s 10.7
Viscosity, CCS -30C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5700
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -39
Viscosity, MRV / Yield Stress -35C (5W) ASTM D4684 mPa.s (cP) 35000
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm2/s 62.64
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 159
Noack Volatility ASTM D5800 % Loss 10.0
Viscosity, HTHS 150C ASTM D4683 cP 3.04
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 220

You left the best oil on the shelf IMO. Castrol only has one really good oil in the US market the 0w40, the rest are nothing special.

You left the best oil on the shelf IMO. Castrol only has one really good oil in the US market the 0w40, the rest are nothing special.

I may give that a run next! This is my 1st small displacement TGDI engine so I chose an SN+ oil based upon reading about LSPI that can sometimes affect TGDI engines.

Your input?

Last edited:

You may be right. It's impossible to really know. 10x better on SEQIIIH and their claim of 43% less metal contact compared to leading competitor is interesting. 3x better shear stability than Mobil 1 5w30 as well per Kurt Orbahn test. However, Castrol is known for their dubious marketing claims though.

The days when Europe had the better Castrol oils are over IMO. EDGE line is their top tier, which includes EDGE and EDGE EP.

Originally Posted by buster
LOL yeah I went a bit nuts with EDGE lately.

What got me on this Castrol kick was Magnatec. I do a lot of severe service/short commutes now so Magnatec's performance claims for this type of driving was appealing. That then lead to the Ti additive. Let me be clear though and say that I don't necessarily think Castrol EDGE is better than any other full synthetic. Being like many on this forum, I like to try other oils out once in a while. My last car only had a diet of Mobil 1 for 60k miles. I like to stay with one brand if possible. I'm not 100% sure I'll stay with EDGE but it's in there now.

They do make some interesting claims though as I posted in the other threads.

Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.856
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm2/s 10.7
Viscosity, CCS -30C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5700
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -39
Viscosity, MRV / Yield Stress -35C (5W) ASTM D4684 mPa.s (cP) 35000
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm2/s 62.64
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 159
Noack Volatility ASTM D5800 % Loss 10.0
Viscosity, HTHS 150C ASTM D4683 cP 3.04
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 220

Thanks for the details buster!

Thought I'd have a little fun
lol.gif

Not sure I'll stick with the a Edge either, it just meets the spec Hyundai calls for (A5) as well as D1Gen2 so I figured wth I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
I recently changed oil and found it to be a little under-filled - 4l v 4.5l @ max line. As I got a thickie, Total Quartz 9000ART 5W-40, I added half a litre of Magnatec Professional E 5W-20 to reach the max mark.
Instantly noticed easier revving, smoother engine. Yes, I know how it sounds
crazy2.gif

As a Mobil, Total and Elf user for long time, this one thing got me sold on trying Castrol next fill.

Thanks buster.

donny, let us know what you think of the oil when you get a chance.

Originally Posted by buster

You may be right. It's impossible to really know. 10x better on SEQIIIH and their claim of 43% less metal contact compared to leading competitor is interesting. 3x better shear stability than Mobil 1 5w30 as well per Kurt Orbahn test. However, Castrol is known for their dubious marketing claims though.

The days when Europe had the better Castrol oils are over IMO. EDGE line is their top tier, which includes EDGE and EDGE EP.

Look at Castrol Edge 0w30, 0w40, 5w30 C3, 5w30LL and others German spec. It is still a grp 4/5 synthetic unlike variants sold in the UK and the Benelux for example. The A5/B5 even there is a grp III HC Synthetic and a less expensive oil (Germans would say a lower quality oil also).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Y_K
I hear influencers make good living on the Internet... use your own head

I did, post was for fun....Car specs 5w30 ACEA A5. Castrol Edge is one of a handful of oils meeting A5/B5 that is readily available.

I CHOSE to use an oil meeting the Manufacturers recommendation.

Last edited:
As with many things "BITOG" we stay (and with apologies to Lady Gaga) on the Edge of Worry...
lol.gif
lol.gif

No doubt!

most people run through quick lubes as we here read product data sheets and worry about the difference between VI and CCS measurements of premium synthetic products.
crackmeup2.gif

God bless BITOG!

Last edited:
I am a bit concerned at the potential of Castrol to have worse wear numbers as compared to Quaker State , Pennzoil or M1 .

You've got quite the range of viscosities to choose from on that 1.6. I like that abt Hyundai/Kia..they don't hem you into one grade. You do 5/30 yr round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back