The Cure for NASCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Return to truly stock cars with a minimum build homologation rule. Imagine Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs racing at Daytona. Here are the simple rules:

1. No engine rules. If it's sold in the dealer's showroom, you can use it. No displacement limit, no horsepower limit. Must use street 93 gas w/10% ethanol. Leave the gas tanks stock size. Let the teams decide how much fuel (weight) they want to add.
2. No modifications to the stock body allowed. Run it like they built it.
3. Suspension changes are limited to pieces of like design. If it has shocks and springs, you can change the ride height and rates.
4. You can remove any interior item to reduce weight. No weight mins or maxs.
5. Typical safety mods required-roll cage, racing seat, fuel cell Etc. Leave the air bags in!
6. Tires are limited only by stock wheels and width of rubber. Skinny ‘em up!

In summary, high drag bodies with high hp and relatively skinny tires will create a true driver's car where talent is exercised putting power to the ground while making tires last.

Its been discussed ad nauseum on the radio. If you favor drivers dying in crashes then this is the model for that. While I dont always agree with or understand NASCAR's direction, it is a billion dollar enterprise that is run by talented, intelligent people. I think it has more to due with modern society as a whole than it does with NASCAR's decisions.

Originally Posted by 64bawagon
Its been discussed ad nauseum on the radio. If you favor drivers dying in crashes then this is the model for that. While I dont always agree with or understand NASCAR's direction, it is a billion dollar enterprise that is run by talented, intelligent people. I think it has more to due with modern society as a whole than it does with NASCAR's decisions.

I agree with you. Look at Indy car. Not the same as it used to be in the 90s. Many sports aren't as popular in 2019. Maybe it's a sign that the reducing Babyboomer generation is reflecting on viewership.

Originally Posted by 64bawagon
.....While I dont always agree with or understand NASCAR's direction, it is a billion dollar enterprise that is run by talented, intelligent people.

Not even close. NASCAR used to be run by intelligent people. (Read Bill France Sr.). But it is no longer. It's run by a bunch of third generation kids, born with silver spoons in their mouths. And who inherited every penny they've got.

All of them put together couldn't manage a shoe store at a profit. Which is why NASCAR is dying on the vine. They took a good, solvent business enterprise, that for the most part drew more fans than any other spectator sport, and basically train wrecked it by making one stupid decision after another. Just look at the stands on race day if you need proof. And the television audience is nothing to write home about either, compared to what it once was.

It's taking them a long time to kill it off, because it was worth a fortune when they started. But they are managing. Like most 3rd generation millionaires who are born into it, they can only make a small fortune by starting out with a large one.

Anytime there is competition, people will cheat. They call it bending the rules but its still cheating.

Ford, chevy and dodge will make a special (limited edition, they make 20 or so) cars that are specifically designed for the Nascar race and barely street legal.

Originally Posted by Rat407
I think there should be a NASCAR-E Just like Formula E

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/discover/history

that may happen sooner than folks think it will... or at least a mild hybrid system...

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Anytime there is competition, people will cheat. They call it bending the rules but its still cheating.

Ford, chevy and dodge will make a special (limited edition, they make 20 or so) cars that are specifically designed for the NASCAR race and barely street legal.

remember that it used to be in the rules that they had to build like 500 in a particular configuration to be eligible for NASCAR competition. that's why the superbird/charger daytona/etc. existed in showrooms in the first place.
They HAD to make X number of cars for the public to be able to use it in NASCAR.

Last edited:
billt460,

I agree with everything you wrote.

Some of the current France family don't even attend NASCAR races.

The older demographics of NASCAR fans stopped going to the races, very expensive and it's too boring to watch with so many silly rule changes. The younger generation like import racing / drifting and F1 .

Nah......simply go back to the 1969 rule book, big blocks and all! Retain the soft walls and reinforce the catch fences for they will be needed! A driver would need a qualifying speed of 250 to win the pole at Talladega. Not an empty seat in the house! Edit: forget what I just typed. We would have to bring back the Pettys, Allison's, Bakers, Yarboroughs, Earnhardt's, Pearson's etc for this to happen because the little 5' 6" corporate robots posing as drivers would scream like little girls if this scenario were to happen!

I've had several ideas for spicing things like the allstar race up... non-points events where they're just there for the $$ and excitement...

put them in the base model econoboxes from their respective manufacturers, straight off the lot....so current manf. line up....fiesta, spark, yaris?

give each team a budget of 15k to buy and modify a used car?

let them keep the current bodies etc for safety sake, but make them run an OE drivetrain from whatever model they're pretending to be.(no manual option? sorry. only CVTs available? suck it up)

wanna make it really fun? pair 'em up in double decker cars like top gear did a couple times(cars built by edd china), bottom car has the brakes/trans/accelerator, top car has the steering... probably wouldn't work with high banking....guess they could do the same thing in one car...put in a passenger seat and relocate either the pedals or the steering box....

I don't watch NASCAR, never have, but my family was crazy for it. According to my dad "the races were never the same after Dale Earnhardt died."

I might watch if they were driving cars straight off the dealership lot. I would love to see a Fiesta and a Yaris during it out in the corners. Only changes allowed would be mandatory roll cages and fuel bladders.

I wish the cars were more similar to their street versions, but at least now you can tell them apart- unlike the days of the awful "Car of Tomorrow."

NASCAR is drawing about as much interest as the NFL. Why because they aren't listening their to good for that and beside what do you know?

Originally Posted by Indydriver
Return to truly stock cars with a minimum build homologation rule. Imagine Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs racing at Daytona. Here are the simple rules:

1. No engine rules. If it's sold in the dealer's showroom, you can use it. No displacement limit, no horsepower limit. Must use street 93 gas w/10% ethanol. Leave the gas tanks stock size. Let the teams decide how much fuel (weight) they want to add.
3. Suspension changes are limited to pieces of like design. If it has shocks and springs, you can change the ride height and rates.
5. Typical safety mods required-roll cage, racing seat, fuel cell Etc. Leave the air bags in!

In summary, high drag bodies with high hp and relatively skinny tires will create a true driver's car where talent is exercised putting power to the ground while making tires last.

And each car gets 8 tires for the race…

Originally Posted by Elkins45
According to my dad "the races were never the same after Dale Earnhardt died."

I've also said that on this site. NASCAR died the day Dale did. He would have NEVER let NASCAR morph into what it has become if he wouldn't have died.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by Indydriver

And each car gets 8 tires for the race…

The races(???) would be boring as heck. Those things on the track are race machines. Made and built purely to race.
No engine rules? Pffft......you'd only have maybe 1/2 the field. The little teams wouldn't have the unlimited money to develop their engines. Remember in the 90's when engines were spinning to 10K RPM and living??? Money honey, and only a few had it then, or would have it now.

Stock bodies with cages? Pfffft, They wouldn't last because of all the forces these race machines endure.

Skinny tires? No thank you, cars need traction. No traction = no speed = Boring racing............I thought that was the problem????

Go back to the 1950's / 1960's when good ol'boy racing started. Winner's winning by 5-10- 15 laps. Drivers being killed all the time. But back then the paying public had nothing better to do or spend their money on so they went to the races. They didn't have their $700/$1000 phones that can get you anything in a split second and entertain you all day.

Nope I'll keep what's on now. The paying public wants excitement from lap one now and that's not how it works. Am I an expert? No. But I know enough to know that 250MPH WON'T work. Or the other side of watching a bunch of "cars driving" around a racetrack at 140MPH will be BORING and that won't work either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back