Do you guys replace your spare tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is mostly tailored for the people who have old cars, but I just realized the full size spare on my 4Runner is the same age as the vehicle now (20 years). Is it still safe to use for brief periods at low speed for emergencies? I keep it on the roof, which has the disadvantage of being exposed to UV and the elements. But I do check the pressure maybe once a year and it's holding fine.

I never have. The last time I looked at the spare on my 20 year old Cavalier, it looked like it always has and I would use it to get to the closest tire store. However, I wouldn't say that the spare shouldn't be replaced. I've never thought about it. Maybe a tire expert will post and let us know of any possible internal damage to be aware of.

My 02 Camry came with full size spare. It still looked brand new last month when I had to use it

Depends on how you define safe. If you are going slow enough that a sudden loss of that tire won't cause a wreck, then it's safe to that extent. If you define safe as being very dependable to get you out of the middle of nowhere, because of non cell service and/or extreme environmental hazards such as temperature or blinding rain or fog (and your being stuck on the side of the road) then it's not safe.

Yours in particular, is not safe for the latter since as you noted it has been exposed to UV all this time, or at least however long it's been on the roof.

I would either remove it and do without a spare or get a new one.

You won't necessarily see the damage done by time to an old tire. There can be ply separation and cracking you'd only notice once bearing weight and especially if low on air.

Then again safety is shades of gray. It's safer not to drive at night, when raining, on icy/snowy roads, or in a 20 year old SUV, and to wear a helmet. It's also safer not to buy a new car with un-ergonomic touch screen et al controls, not to conduct phone calls even if hands free, not to have kids or (other) insane passengers, and not to turn the radio up high, not drive when tired, not drive a small car or especially motorcycle, and so on.

If you're against buying a new tire then that old one could still save you a tow bill.

Last edited:
No but it's a good idea. I had a previous boat trailer and I had taken the wheels and tires to a tire shop and put the spare on in the driveway. The sidewall blew out of it and I wasn't even towing it! I have not had a real flat tire in years and probably wouldn't really worry about it unless are out of reach of help. Everybody's situation is different. If I were to go a long ways from home frequently I would get a new spare tire. I am sure you could trade one in at the junkyard for very little money and upgrade to a newer tire and wheel combination.

Sometimes... I have a utility trailer that really should get a new spare. My truck, it's 10 years old and the spare is held out of the sun, so eh... My 20 year old Camry, ok that got a new spare, even though the tire felt fine (I had more trust in a 2 year tire with 4/32's left than the 20 year old unused tire).

Wife's Camry though has a space saver tire. I checked and a full size spare won't fit. So... that won't get replaced. In the event of a flat I just accept it'll likely be costly, as I'll have to get a tire ASAP.

The only thing I'd worry about is the fact that you said that you keep it on the roof, I'd worry about dry rot...how much would I worry? Not that much if you're just using it to drive home, but I probably wouldn't trust it for much more than that.

No spare in the Cruze diesel. The 2002 Silverado still has the original spare and never been removed. Just keep it at 35psi.

I used to get a matching wheel and simply rotate 5, replacing 5 tires when required.

Now with TPMS, it is a little more difficult. Haven't had the 4Runner long enough yet.

At 20 years I would get a cheap tire for about 100 and not worry about it for another 20 years.

Imaging the PITA factor if you put the spare on and it went flat or disintegrated shortly after. Murphy says you'll be in a hurry to get somewhere when this happens or on a long trip.

One's in the trunk will probably last the life of the vehicle as long as its aired up periodically and not run low/flat. No sunlight UV or water spray/ dirt to dry rot them.

Yup. My Jeep's spare was 10 years old in 2017, so I replaced it then. Now I didn't put on an expensive BFGoodrich All Terrain to match the tires, it got a cheaper Goodyear. But if I'm hundreds of miles away in the desert and get a punctured tire, I don't have to worry about a blowout of the spare.

I've replaced the Camry's spare twice. I bought the car in 2015 and it had the original full sized spare. So I put the spare on and took it to Discount Tire when I needed a new set and they replaced the 4 on the car. So the "new spare" wasn't too old. Then earlier this year it got a nail in the sidewall, so I decided to replace them as a pair. On went the spare again and the good tire went in the trunk. Now I have no worries if it's on a road trip. This is the hottest city in the United States. Driving 75+ mph on the interstate at 115 degrees with an old tire? No thanks.

No I don't, but I try to lower the tire once a year from under the van and spray the fluid film on it and the metal wire that holds it up. It will be time to do that soon.

I haven't replaced the full size spare on my 2000 BMW. It looks really good and was a quality tire. It holds air, and it's not exposed to ozone or sunlight so it should be okay.

What I used to do (and would do again if I was going to replace a full size spare) is save the best "old" tire when I replace a set.

It'll be OK from where your tire went flat to the nearest tire shop, don't worry, but it's not a replacement for the the flat tire.

Originally Posted by JC1
No I don't, but I try to lower the tire once a year from under the van and spray the fluid film on it and the metal wire that holds it up. It will be time to do that soon.
Yep, who cares about the condition of the tire when the mechanism is rusted solid.

When I don't have a full sized spare I get one (rim off ebay) … the Tahoe had a full size but just a huge donut spare - I found a nice Cooper the same size and that's under it now …
Z71 came with a real tire.
For the age part - I keep an eye on them and clean the tire and system as needed

Back in the old days we used to rotate the spare into service during every 5k mile tire rotation. Radial tires did away with that practice because they became "directional" with use, though I believe today's tires would be fine with it.

I would trust a spare for about 10 years, then I'd recommend replacement. Last thing you want is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere because your spare let go. The older the spare, the slower I'd recommend driving on it and keep that trip as short as possible.

Sadly, I see cars going down the road with not just one space saver, but 2 or 3 of them all at the same time. Accidents just waiting to happen!

Tirerack sells new temporary spare tires. However I usually end up throwing a snow tire in as an extra spare. On my truck, it's just a used tire in the right size mounted on a 5th wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back