Who makes a good carpet shampooer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 30 feet in my house between people and pets. I need a carpet shampooer as I use it almost daily. The Bissill ones work well but just don't last. I have had several in the last couple of years and the gears that spin the rollers always strip.

Any other brands any good?

It really depends on what you want to spend and how well you want it to work. I used to review floor care products, when you get to use machines side by side, you quickly see just how bad the bad is and how good the good is. IMHO, it is a complete waste of money to buy consumer level products, such as Bissell or Hoover or Shark, when for the same money you can get professional quality and performance in the likes of Rug Doctor.

If you want cheap, speed, and the appearance of clean, then you'll be more than happy whatever consumer grade machine you choose. If you want something that actually cleans, that actually does what you bought the machine for, then you need to step into the class of machine capable of delivering that level of performance.

Topically, the "cheap" machines are operated like a vacuum cleaner, they're lightweight and low on suction, which makes them extremely easy to use, but not so effective at cleaning, deep cleaning, or extraction of the cleaning agents or rinse water. More capable machines tend to be dragged backwards, this is because their suction is strong enough and the machine is heavy enough that it couldn't be used any other way. It is the extreme suction and the weight pushing the head into the carpet fibers that removes the water.

Now on to pricing. Both Bissell and Hoover have machines that start at about $100 and increase by $100 as you "step up" in machine, unfortunately, their $100 machine works just as poorly as their $300 machine, or visa versa, however you want to look at it. Bissell's $400 Big Green machine supposedly rivals a Rug Doctor Pro, which is currently only $321 on Amazon. I'm going to be honest here, I've not used the Bissell Big Green, but I have used a number of their "lesser" models and am completely unimpressed, and find it hard to believe that once you step up to the $400 mark that they suddenly have something that works.

I have extensively used a Rug Doctor Pro and it hands down, out cleans any Bissell or Hoover product. Bissell and Hoover are great at cleaning carpets that aren't dirty or stained. They will remove light soiling, maybe lighten stains a little bit, that's about it. If you have serious dirt and stains, or worn carpet, then you need a machine that has the ability to work the fiber and, more importantly, extract the cleaning materials. My money is on a Rug Doctor.

Back when I was doing reviews, the RD Pro, that was the "base" model that RD was producing at the time. They have since come out with a Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner, which is a smaller model designed to directly compete with the consumer brands. I've not had the opportunity to try one out . . . yet . . . but would expect it to still run circles around the competition.

Stepping away from the conversation of carpet cleaners for a moment, I am someone who wants to use well designed tools, that are built to last, and have a look and feel of quality. Using tools like this is a complete joy, making the "work" not seem so much like work, never worrying if I'll be able to do what I set out to do, or suffer the frustrations and hazards of using inferior tools. it doesn't matter if we're talking about automotive tools, construction tools, vehicles, you name it, the quality of the tool defines the experience. The more a tool gets used, the more important that that tool be beyond capable of the job. So, why would I buy a Walmart or Harbor Freight special, when Mac, Snap-On, DeWalt, or Milwaukee is better suited to the job and give me the experience I'm looking for? Taking this same mindset to carpet cleaners, I'll take a Rug Doctor over anything else for the price.

I'd be happy to provide links to the carpet cleaner reviews I've done upon request. I'm not posting them here and now because self promotion was not the point of this post.
cool.gif

I've used both the Rug Doctor, as well as the Big Green. They work and operate about the same. You have to go over high traffic areas like hallways several times. If you do they will do a reasonably good job. The biggest PITA is constantly having to fill and dump the liquids. But this is with ANY of them, so they're all the same in that regard.

I wouldn't buy one myself. Instead it's much cheaper to rent. Unless you intend to use it all the time, it's just not worth it to buy. And it's one less thing you have to find a place to store when you're not using it. Which is about 99% of the time.

I think what matters more with these things, is the type of shampoo cleaning agent you use. They vary in price greatly. As with most things, the more you pay, the better they work.

The last one I rented, (Big Green), I got from Lowe's. I bought their most expensive shampoo. (I forget what the brand was). The girl told me not to even bother with the cheap soaps and cleaners. I was glad I listened to her, because it's never the cost in doing this that matters, but rather the amount of labor that is involved.

In the end I made the best investment in carpet cleaning I possibly could.... We bought a home that doesn't contain a single stitch of carpet in it. Only hardwood and tile. I'm at the age where I no longer want to be bothered with it, or hiring it out and dealing with the hassle..... Only to have it get dirty in a few months. Then the whole process repeats itself. Carpet cleaning ranks right up there with lawn mowing in that regard. Your reward is having to do it over and over. And regardless of how good of a job you do, it only looks good for a short time after you're done.

I got an ALDI one, when we bought this house with ageing carpet.

After the family moved out, using the rug doctor shampoos, and have really appreciated how good a job it does...maybe two tries, and it didn't get the dried red slushie out of my son's room, nor the hair dye out of my daughter's but really quite happy with it.

Honestly, I think any one is better than none.

Had owned several different makes over the years. Gave my last one to a relative and bought a Big Green. Hands down the best cleaner I've owned and easiest to empty and refill.

No shoes in the house and a carpet or vinyl runner would help.

But No shoes! Japanese style.

I don't recall the one I had years ago but Most new stuff is just junk.

Maybe wood floor and a mop and bucket?

w-w Carpet is so 1970's

I own the Rug Doctor and the associated upholstery tool. I also own 2 commercial spot/upholstery/carpet cleaners.

The professional machines are stainless steel.

The Rug Doctor and tools are plastic. Otherwise, the performance is identical. Both spray water and have very powerful vacuum suction.

I am very happy with the Rug Doctor. It's held up well for many years. Never any problems.

Last edited:
Owned a Hoover and found it was very cheaply made. Plastic that easily breaks. Have to be careful with the bucket and attachments. It cleaned OK, but had to go over spots several times.

Originally Posted by Inked
... and bought a Big Green. Hands down the best cleaner I've owned and easiest to empty and refill.

I will attest to this. I was so impressed I found a used one for sale and jumped on it.

We have an inexpensive Hoover. It does an OK job. We don't walk on the carpet with shoes, and I try to put on socks if I have dirty feet. That goes a long way.

I've got a 5yr old Bissell with the spinning brush roll to agitate the carpet. The thing still keeps going...

I did find Zep carpet cleaner works better than the OE stuff and it's pretty reasonably priced. I don't have to spot treat as much with the Zep. Fwiw, I've got 2 teens, 3 cats and a dog so the carpet can get pretty dingy especially in the winter months.

Last edited:
The best cleaners I've found are the Rug Doctor brand. I also pre-treat with an oxy-clean solution, work that into the carpet, let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then shampoo with RD solutions and equipment. It's even more important to rinse the carpet until the rinse water is clean. Now, you'll never actually get "clean" water out, but there's a huge difference between the mud you get with a first rinse and the milky/cloudy water out of a 3rd or 4th rinse.

You don't want to saturate the carpet too much, as this will break down the backing, dissintegrating seams and causing fibers to detach. You also don't want moisture getting below the carpet, where it can cause mold and mildew under the carpet and in the pad.

That said, you still need to be thorough in your rinsing because residual cleaning solution will only attract dirt more quickly. All cleaners tell you to make one application pass and several dry passes to suck the moisture back out of the fiber. It is the multiple "dry" passes that are going to get out the embedded dirt and excess moisture. A machine with really strong suction will do it in the fewest passes. My standard method is to clean the entire area, then go back and rinse it at least twice, and base further rinses on the color of the rinse water. With each wet pass I increase the number of dry passes, for example, the shampoo pass will get 3 dry passes, the 1st rinse pass - 4 or 5 dry passes, and so on. On machines with clear plastic floor heads, you can watch the water droplets passing through the head, when they cease to exist, you've pulled as much moisture as that machine is capable of pulling. The RD has a clear dome on top of the tank where you can watch this going on. Yes, it's a lot of work, but the results are a clean and reasonably dry carpet. When I'm done I also set up fans to help dry the carpet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back