hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
kind of off the subject of oil etc. but after 50 or so years of hunting just about everything I could i quit,,,not that I cant do it anymore it's just the word hunting lost its meaning...there is no more hunting so to speak , it's all luring .plant food plots , siting in blinds or tree stands using all sorts of scents , trail cams,washing clothes in something that eliminates human scent and what ever there might be out there.i know of several guys that sit in blinds with heaters and chairs and play games on their phones or text each other while out there "hunting"..to me that's not hunting at all , where's the skill in that ???...hunting should be renamed luring season..i

In my neck of the woods "hunting season" would be replaced by "getting phone calls from your friends (scouts) in cars then trespassing on posted land between more heavily traveled (therefore louder) parcels and wait for flushed deer to scamper by season".

Lying about trespassing and jacking deer knows no season.

One of my co-workers is an older Mennonite in his 50's, has a bunch of acreage and was talking about his 8 trail cams.
Have you ever been in a Cabela's? They have everything but a remote controlled cyborg hunter. And all the "real hunters" have a
side by side.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by FT92
kind of off the subject of oil etc. but after 50 or so years of hunting just about everything I could i quit,,,not that I cant do it anymore it's just the word hunting lost its meaning...there is no more hunting so to speak , it's all luring .plant food plots , siting in blinds or tree stands using all sorts of scents , trail cams,washing clothes in something that eliminates human scent and what ever there might be out there.i know of several guys that sit in blinds with heaters and chairs and play games on their phones or text each other while out there "hunting"..to me that's not hunting at all , where's the skill in that ???...hunting should be renamed luring season..i

Killing a deer puts good meat on my table and in my freezer.

I think he answered it for most they going out to kill a deer or name the animal they take the hunting aspect out of it. Really no different than me saying in my house well I'm going out to the barn and kill a chicken for eating tonight.
I have no problem what so ever with someone with that attitude most DNR agencies like that attitude all they care about is harvested numbers and don't care how it's done.

kind of off the subject of oil etc. but after 50 or so years of hunting just about everything I could i quit,,,not that I cant do it anymore it's just the word hunting lost its meaning...there is no more hunting so to speak , it's all luring .plant food plots , siting in blinds or tree stands using all sorts of scents , trail cams,washing clothes in something that eliminates human scent and what ever there might be out there. i know of several guys that sit in blinds with heaters and chairs and play games on their phones or text each other while out there "hunting"..to me that's not hunting at all , where's the skill in that ???...hunting should be renamed luring season..i

I can understand heaters, along with expensive warm clothing, boots, gloves, good rain gear, and anything else that makes, or else keeps you warm, dry, and more comfortable. There is no rule that say's you need to be cold, damp, and miserable while hunting. But as for everything else, you don't have to use it.

But if someone chooses to in order to increase their success ratio, so be it. It's their money. If they want to spend it, it their choice. Laser rangefinders, drop compensating scopes, night vision, portable GPS is all out there. Again there are no laws that say you have to use it.

As far as phones, texting, and all the rest, that's a major problem throughout society today. People use them in doctors offices when they have signs posted to please turn them off. They put people in danger texting while driving. And in general annoy people with them. So it stands to reason these same individuals will carry on with their misuse while hunting.

You have much the same with fishing today. Advanced fish finders, lures, spray on lure scents, and a ton of other advanced, expensive equipment is available that didn't exist 40 years ago on the water. When I was a kid we caught pan fish with a bobber, split shot sinker, and a hook with a worm on a bamboo pole. A spin cast setup back then was considered, "high tech".

It's called technology. It appeals to a lot of people, and you'll never stop it. But the choice is always yours to use it or not. Regardless, I wouldn't let it bother me.

Why do you let the practices of others influence what you do or not do? You are going to quit hunting the way you enjoy hunting because others don't hunt the way you hunt? That's stupid. I hope you don't apply the same philosophy to personal hygiene.

Do you change your oil even though others change their oil differently?

Upland game. For me it was the loss of local open land (farms becoming developments), resultant crowding and a few too many instances of getting pellets rained on us and finding fresh beer cans at ~10am....

Miss it though....

Last edited:

Absolutely right !!! I used to hunt in my youth, but hunting was also stalking, moving without noise knowing how to handle yourself in the woods and being able to read the ground, grass and bushes. This was the "Skill"
Now it's more like target shooting...call me when it gets to the bait.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Pelican

Absolutely right !!! I used to hunt in my youth, but hunting was also stalking, moving without noise knowing how to handle yourself in the woods and being able to read the ground, grass and bushes. This was the "Skill"
Now it's more like target shooting...call me when it gets to the bait.
mad.gif

. I actually saw this scenario on a hunting show "pig man" while channel surfing one night. Several hunters were in a cabin and a camera alerted their phone that a wild pig was foraging near a baited trail camera and they all grabbed their guns and stalked out of the cabin towards the baited pig. They shot it then started high fixing each other and bragging about what a nice pig they had "harvested".
frown.gif

I am not a hunter, but have a good buddy that hunts. He has his deer processed and I am the recipient of some of the venison sausage he has made. Good stuff. As far as hunting, to each his own. No one else's business really.

I'm not a hunter. However, here in South Florida, we are now having a problem with pythons and other undesirable creatures. Including the very destructive and rapidly reproducing wild hogs. And at my place in PA, wasting disease is a problem as they have too many deer.

I always wanted to go helicopter hog hunting with our Eurocopter.

I sure wish more hunters would take up the challenge of eradicating the pythons and hogs. I'm sorry you don't enjoy hunting anymore. But the work is necessary and I think Florida is paying for each python.

I could not believe it when i saw BLUETOOTH CONTROLLED electric socks. Is that really necessary?

billt460's response says it all "It's called technology. It appeals to a lot of people, and you'll never stop it. But the choice is always yours to use it or not. Regardless, I wouldn't let it bother me."

My cheap-[censored] frugalness leads me towards the more minimalist direction. I set my flip phone to vibrate-only when I go hunting with my re curve bow. It always annoys me when friends show up at my place and shoot better than me with one day of practice on their compound bows vs. my 2 weeks of practice on my re curve. Dang them!

I go out pheasant hunting quite often and enjoy getting out and walking a ditch or public area. It's just the fun of getting out of the house and driving somewhere and enjoying the day. If I wanted the food I would just go to the store and buy a bunch of chicken breasts for $20.00 and be more money ahead. Its all about quality time spent with family, relatives, or friends. I agree things have became more commercialized however it is as much fun as you make it.

Just to add to the dogpile: what does any of this have to do with how YOU choose to hunt? Cabela's isn't forcing you to buy a tree stand. Your post makes no sense whatsoever. You aren't some sort of zombie that is controlled by other people's hunting habits.

Originally Posted by Elkins45

Just to add to the dogpile: what does any of this have to do with how YOU choose to hunt? Cabela's isn't forcing you to buy a tree stand. Your post makes no sense whatsoever. You aren't some sort of zombie that is controlled by other people's hunting habits.

Well said.

I quit going once my dad couldn't go any more. He, my brother and I would deer hunt. I enjoyed it and love venison but the family didn't. Once our father/son bonding ended the hunting stopped.

Ive hunted Moose, Bear, Elk, Deer, Turkey, Pheasant, etc. all over North America. Always public lands, no game farms. I enjoy hunting, but honestly my family isnt a fan of wild game meat. So I dont really hunt much anymore, because if we dont eat what I harvest, Im not going to harvest it.
Though my oldest is getting to that age, and we bought him a bow, so I will be getting back into deer hunting soon. At least we do like sausage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back