Reliance Water Heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with them? They are made by A.O. Smith which seems to be a big water heater manufacturer. They are sold by Walmart, which I get a nice discount from. Link

Its a gift to my Mom since her water heater (GE by Rheem) doesn't get very hot anymore. I love taking very hot showers, and it has gone hill this last year. It was made in 1995 so its probably time to let it go. My room is also in the basement at her house so I would like to preserve it by not getting it flooded with this one finally goes. Also it's cheap rent.

My stepfather won't change it out since he likes to procrastinate on things like this. He won't fix or replace unless its done, or my mom says its time
lol.gif

I bought a 40 gallon gas fired from Ace hardware around 6 years or more ago when they were $299. Still going no issues. Installed it myself. It was the 6 year warranty model if I remember right. Might be more like 10 years old I can't remember.

Originally Posted by Kruse
I guess you've already purchased it, so my recommendation doesn't matter.
However, if you are running an electric water heater, this is the only one that I can recommend. I can pick these up for less than $1K, probably more than you wish to spend.
https://www.rheem.com/innovations/innovation_residential/marathon/

I have purchased it but I'll refuse delivery if I learn they are junk.
Those are very nice, those tanks are going to be the future. Unfortunately I don't have $1200 to give as a gift water heater to my mom/step dad.

seems ok but full electric can be very costly.

Could get a hybrid model and have free basement A/C and dehumidifier.(there are some requirements though)

also usually consumes 1/4 to 1/3 the energy.

My first gen rheem uses about 1/3 the electricity in eco mode as a regular electric, newer ones are even better.

natural Gas is usually the best choice if available and feasible.

Originally Posted by sprite1741
I bought a 40 gallon gas fired from Ace hardware around 6 years or more ago when they were $299. Still going no issues. Installed it myself. It was the 6 year warranty model if I remember right. Might be more like 10 years old I can't remember.

It might not be too late to change the anode rod. My gas water heaters go anywhere from 5-10 years. I've got a couple where I changed anode rods that are going on 10+ years.

If its electric have you checked that both elements are working when needed?

Change the anode, drain the water heater to remove any sediment.

New or old, a water alarm is a good idea.

The quality of the water heater is basically long its guaranteed for which comes from how well the tank is made and lined.

Not sure who made them back in 1991, but we just replaced our 1991 Reliance 30 gallon gas with a 40 gallon Rheem Premium Performance gas. Loving it so far.

have had a reliance electric water heater for 12 years now , had a 6 year warranty ,if memory serves cost me a little under 300...at 10 years one element went out so I changed everything , both elements and thermostats all is well , may just get a few more years out of it

It will be better than what is there, They sell a pan with a drain you can set the tank in to prevent a flood. AO Smith is an old name Today?

The mentality going on I don't think offering a more cost effective water heater matters. The likely case is the current heater has an element out and likely is using too much electricity at the moment so this will improve the situation.

Excellent choice, I presume living at home is temporary.

What is the going price to install a gas hot water heater? I think in my area it's $1,200-$1,500 with some at $2,000, that includes the hot water heater.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
What is the going price to install a gas hot water heater? I think in my area it's $1,200-$1,500 with some at $2,000, that includes the hot water heater.

Water heaters are easy to replace. So should be $0 to install it. Those prices are robbery.

Depends on who you use. If you use sharkbite fittings, they can be in the $100 range. The key is to make sure you get the same height water heater so you don't have to adjust the height of the flue or the pipes, you just cut them and slide in the new one. I usually get them done in the $100-$200 range, but yeah, if you go to Home Depot, they can quote you over $1000 to have one installed but I believe that includes the water heater and permits. The real work is just getting the new tank in and the old one out and draining the old tank. The actual swap itself doesn't take much time.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Depends on who you use. If you use sharkbite fittings, they can be in the $100 range. The key is to make sure you get the same height water heater so you don't have to adjust the height of the flue or the pipes, you just cut them and slide in the new one. I usually get them done in the $100-$200 range, but yeah, if you go to Home Depot, they can quote you over $1000 to have one installed but I believe that includes the water heater and permits. The real work is just getting the new tank in and the old one out and draining the old tank. The actual swap itself doesn't take much time.

That's ridiculous. I'm hoping this is an easy DIY project. The new one is about a couple inches taller, and the old one sits on a couple cinder blocks. So it will easily be do able. I paid $367 for the one linked, and probably a few more dollars for gas and new fittings.
The hardest part is gonna be getting the old one out of the basement.

Maybe I should drop out of college and start my own water heater store.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by madRiver

Excellent choice, I presume living at home is temporary.
Until I get out of college/find a real job. I find living at home is a ton more comfortable, nice, and cheaper then living on campus. Back in 2017 a lot of people questioned how an 18 year old could buy a new car on here. I don't waste money sleeping in a dorm with 5 other dudes. I drive a nice bit now, so the car was worth it. My parents made it clear they don't care if I stay with them as long as i'm moving forward with my life. I also paid the Jetta off in December of 2018. So I can help my parents out here and there.

Last edited:
I paid 900 to $1000 just 2 years ago for a 50 gallon gas water heater. Licensed plumber from our community, he actually took care of it for me on Christmas Eve.

$1,200 to 1,500 isn't unreasonable. It really depends what heater your getting and if its gas or electric. Electric is a little cheaper to purchase.
I think one way to look at it is double the price of the heater to include the cost of having a plumber install it.

$500 water heater = $1000 installed.
Plumber spends half a day on your house from the time he gets up in the morning, to picking up your heater, to installing it, to removing the old one and then dumping it someplace, plus any possible (however unlikely issue he may run into) all in all that turns into a half day of work, plus a helper to pay and a truck to pay and taxes to pay and ... and ... and .. :eek:)

Last edited:
Please state this is an electric you replacing. Gas should be installed by plumber or someone who knows what they are doing and not a newbie.

Please state this is an electric you replacing. Gas should be installed by plumber or someone who knows what they are doing and not a newbie.

Oh yeah, I've probably seen 1000+ houses over the years as a real estate broker. Lots of times you see water heaters improperly installed by newbies. Like the flue pipes need to be connected by screws, the proper angle, furnace cement on the pipe going to the chimney so there's no cracks, vacuum breaker if in the basement, shut offs, drip loop for the gas line, vent tube 6 inches from the ground, etc. Craziest one I ever saw was the vent for the water heating going over two rooms and they were using it to heat a basement bedroom. I guess they were lucky the guy didn't die?

Electric. I know better than trying to screw with a gas one. I don't care to die in my sleep from a water heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back