Steering racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone I know has a RAV4 that needs a steering rack. The dealer wants $1200 for a rack. Yeah, no. Are the Cardone or Delco rebuilds any good?

Most repairs by independent mechanics are using rebuilt OEM Toyota racks. I would trust a rebuilt Toyota way before I would a new cut rate aftermarket. Or your friend can spring for the new part at the dealership. The AC Delco rebuilts have a two year unlimited miles warranty.

Originally Posted by wdn
Most repairs by independent mechanics are using rebuilt OEM Toyota racks. I would trust a rebuilt Toyota way before I would a new cut rate aftermarket. Or your friend can spring for the new part at the dealership. The AC Delco rebuilts have a two year unlimited miles warranty.

The new part at the dealer is twelve hundred dollars. (Just the part!)

For comparison I just had (at independent garage) my Gen 1 Tundra SR5 TRD steering gear replaced with a remanufactured OEM rack including the tie rod ends, bushings and new stabilizer bar bushings done too, mine also needed a dealer-only part a new lower steering shaft that costs $129 at the dealer which is completely separate from the rack assembly (due to corrosion here in the frozen north) I requested my mechanic also replace the alternator belt just because it seemed a good time to, and he sent it out for a four wheel alignment too, flushed and filled steering fluid and the total for the whole job was $1,100.

I have no doubt a new RAV4 rack is $1,200 for the part.

Don't get a MAVAL. The repair shop put this brand in and less then three years in, it is already leaking and making strange noises on tight turns. The product has a lifetime warranty, but the labor will run another $700 or so to replace. Not worth it.

How about the remanufactured steering racks made by BAP, Buy Auto Parts?

Most rebuilt ones whether it's ACDelco or whatever your local parts store sells is Cardone and they suck. All of them. For this, unless you're doing it yourself, you want the OEM part.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I'd check Camel Back Toyota

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

You can usually find a toyota dealer with an online presence that will sell at much lower prices than a walk in dealer.

I'm in Houston and we have two one that is a walk in and the other that is across town that has an online but with walkin pickup. Almost half price in many itmes like bumpers etc that I bought through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back