Engine popped after running out of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it was their fault that it leaked, you should have tightened it up before the engine failed. I always check oil levels every 1000 miles or so. Also when getting an oil change at a shop make sure they do the job right. Like always date the filter with a permanent marker and inspect for leaks. 2300 is probably too far for any kind of reasonable damage claim. If they help you take it, but it would be in good faith and not from negligence.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by tiger862
Another thread you stated 5 qts oil used in 2500 miles so that is 1 quart every 500 miles.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...er-major-issue-1qt-500-miles#Post5226004
You claimed someone was stealing gas also
All this points to engine problems
Good luck getting chain store to cover as most won't cover once you get any miles on it except oil filter or drain plug falls off and must be an oily mess

This particular poster has made many claims, both under this user name and all the previous ones. We all should be aware of that.

kschachn, you have a remarkable way of sniffing out the members that used to be former members here. I like it!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Another thread you stated 5 qts oil used in 2500 miles so that is 1 quart every 500 miles.
Good luck getting chain store to cover as most won't cover once you get any miles on it except oil filter or drain plug falls off and must be an oily mess

This particular poster has made many claims, both under this user name and all the previous ones. We all should be aware of that.

kschachn, you have a remarkable way of sniffing out the members that used to be former members here. I like it!
thumbsup2.gif

Busted this is my only user id
thanks
show me your proof
provide proof

you have none

thanks

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Even if it was their fault that it leaked, you should have tightened it up before the engine failed. I always check oil levels every 1000 miles or so. Also when getting an oil change at a shop make sure they do the job right. Like always date the filter with a permanent marker and inspect for leaks. 2300 is probably too far for any kind of reasonable damage claim. If they help you take it, but it would be in good faith and not from negligence.

according to my log book .oil changed on 90,394. it was checked at 91,638 miles and 92,320 miles it was down 1qt to 1qt 1/2 at that time which is not alarming..... i'm not allowed to do automotive work were i live it's not allowed fyi that is why I have to pay a 2nd party... to do the work i don't have any tools anyways....

Whoever you are and whatever your past posting history is...

if you're looking for sympathy at this site for a.) going to a quick lube place and then b.) running an engine out of oil thousands of miles later...

...you've come to the wrong place.

You did not "pop" anything on an LS engine from being down a quart after 2300 miles. That's hardly even "usage" in most people's books. And after that, you're claiming you drove 2300 miles on 6 gallons of gas, in Southern California? Wow, this "unicorn" keeps growing with every successive post!
15.gif

kschachn.. am I reading too much into it or are you lumping me in with this guy? I'm actually offended now. I'm at least somewhat articulate and nothing I said was fabricated. I have an actual issue with actual questions that aren't complete nonsense. I may not be the smartest and I certainly don't know a lot about oil, but I'm not mentally deficient. How dare you.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
my engine popped thanks to a loose oil filter

33.gif
the place i had taken it too forgot to tighten the oil filter and replace the oil plug seal(was leaking there also they claimed) (i would have paid for a new seal if they said something )

they had one job. and failed at it

92k RIP the Unicorn

the oil came out

oil cooked it self due to running low
black at just 2300 miles(I was doing 4k OCI with no loss to the oil and very very minimal carbon in the oil @4k )

VVT system popped

Loud knocking/clacking on start up
frown.gif
that lasts for 30-40 seconds

damage it's all ready done on the VVT system
frown.gif

it's not mobil1 fault it's the person who did the job at the chain shop.

I was really hoping i get it to 150k-200k or more without issue

now my engine is full of dirty carbonized oil and sludge..

i contacted the chain and made a claim they might have to replace the engine with a manufacture refurbished
maybe they should fix it instead top end rebuild?

You would have better luck with Mobil 1 paying for damage. They guarantee oil for oil not destroying your engine if engine was sound before you added there oil.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
You did not "pop" anything on an LS engine from being down a quart after 2300 miles. That's hardly even "usage" in most people's books. And after that, you're claiming you drove 2300 miles on 6 gallons of gas, in Southern California? Wow, this "unicorn" keeps growing with every successive post!
15.gif

what never said i drove 2300 miles on gas lol

now your just making stuff up

i said i checked the oil (and there nothing on the dip stick)when i filled up at the gas station after my trip as i smelled that infamous burning oil smell.. as soon as i opened the oil cap smoke poured out.. that is the whole point that the oil was cooked overheated etc. you guys did not believe i went to the station to buy gas.. receipt is my proof i was at the station..

Last edited:
That filter and surrounding area looks pretty clean despite all the oil blowing out.

Who's making stuff up?

The photo does not represent enough oil leaking out to cause engine failure and if the filter was truly loose, there would be oil splattered everywhere as it would have escaped under pressure.

More to this story than what is being disclosed.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
The photo does not represent enough oil leaking out to cause engine failure and if the filter was truly loose, there would be oil splattered everywhere as it would have escaped under pressure.

well I did not do it ..

the point is, it did not unscrew it self.. they even admitted they did not tighten the drain plug it all the way ,they claimed it was "leaking" also from a drain plug gasket....

that is my point they should have said something while i was in the waiting room back when I had it changed, like oh you need to replace the drain plug gasket..

i would have paid for it, no problem I have money set aside very specifically for oil changes .. i cleaned out Autozone M1 AP when they had the 20$ deal for the 5qt

this suv was bought as a gift for me,, why would i want to mess up a $13,000 gift? I have a good reason to keep it in good working order i don't want to spend 13k and have to wait months and months to find another one.

my mom would get mad if i messed it up
frown.gif

according to my log book .oil changed on 90,394. it was checked at 91,638 miles and 92,320 miles it was down 1qt to 1qt 1/2 at that time which is not alarming.....

Did you add oil after that oil check?

Shame that GHT is allowed back once again
37.gif

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

well I did not do it .. the point is, it did not unscrew it self..
No, the point is, there is not enough oil in the photo to validate the filter was loose at all and certainly not enough to cause engine failure. The oil film appears to have built up over time from a slow leak versus spraying out under pressure.

#TrollPostIfEverThereWasOne #TooMuchBovineScatology

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
You didn't get the dummy light of no oil pressure?

Reading this thread is what makes me hate dummy lights (I remember them being called idiot lights when I was growing up). They only come on when it's too late. All cars should be required to have a real time gauge pod that constantly monitors all the engine's vitals (oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, engine temp,transmission pressure,transmision temp, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back