Potpourri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I live we have a community center. Each week we play bingo for prizes. I won a bingo and was given a bag of potpourri and a bottle of potpourri oil. Does anyone know how this stuff is supposed to be used? It sure smells good.

potpourri1.jpeg

potpourri2.jpeg

The potpourri on the left, you can put them in a decorative bowl/vase and use them for various decorations around the house (ie: a stand right by the front door so people can smell it right as they walk in.) The bottle can be used for reed diffusers (basically long kabob sticks that will soak up the oil and diffuse the smell until the oil is used up.)

The one on the left I always see in a bowl on top of the toilet tank in people's homes.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
That stuff irritates the [censored] out of my nasal passages. Can't stand it.

I
Me too. Stuff gives me a headache.

Once upon a time I tried potpourri. A girlfriend gave me one of those 2-part bowl setups: Potpourri goes in the top with water, and a small candle goes below to heat the water and the potpourri, which releases its scent. After learning that "potpourri" was French for "rotten pot" (and breaking up with the girlfriend), I gave it up. Most of the scents are too flowery and sweet for me.

I find this incense to be much better: https://www.inscents.com/ Every few months I buy a new 49-stick sampler and burn one every few days.

Years ago I discovered it when I first went to New Mexico. Last I saw, they even sell it at some of the Texas airports. It is not that annoying "incense" smell like patchouli; this actually smells like the burning wood it's named for (alder, mesquite, pinon, etc.).

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
That stuff irritates the [censored] out of my nasal passages. Can't stand it.

I agree.

My answer to what to do with them is throw them in the trash or give them away as a white elephant gift or something.

Originally Posted by Pew
The potpourri on the left, you can put them in a decorative bowl/vase and use them for various decorations around the house (ie: a stand right by the front door so people can smell it right as they walk in.) The bottle can be used for reed diffusers (basically long kabob sticks that will soak up the oil and diffuse the smell until the oil is used up.)

I did as you suggested and now my apt. smells so good. It smelled good before, but it smells even better now.
My cousin and his wife came over earlier for a visit. The wife was very taken back that I was using potpourri. She loved it. She told me that WM sells an incense tray and incense. She suggested I get those 2 items to complete my ensemble.

If you have birds as pets, be careful with the Potpourri oil (or anything similar to it). That type of oil is the same stuff used in some of those electric plug-in air scent deodorizers. Those are known to cause serious lung irritation in birds.

Those scented oils (as well as what folks call "essential oil") tend to dissolve and damage most wood or plastic surfaces.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
potpourri oil ... same crap used in vape juice.
laugh.gif

I know one thing, that oil is very toxic smelling on its own. When I put it in a warmer it seems to bring the smell to a nice fragrance. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back