Absolutely Pristine Fall Day Today and I Went to Work Instead of Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
55 deg F upon rising this morning, forecast high of 70. Low humidity and full sun, crystal blue sky. Trees still mostly green, select few species have begun some slight preliminary color turning. Wife out of town all week, just me and the cat. As recently as last year I would've called in to work for a comp day (lots of comp hours built up) and been on the bike carving multiple roads to nowhere all day.

Guess I really should have sold it this summer instead of just blowing off about it. Clearly, I've lost the zeal. I went to work instead...

People change, priorities change, tolerance of risk changes with age. Nothing wrong if you don't ride anymore. I got rid of my small Suzuki a few years ago.

I'm thinking about getting a Duke 390 or 390R just because everything around here is straight, flat, and oh did I say straight? I just want something to be able to ride to work and get out of the doldrums. Drive through the neighborhood, point it south, and 19 completely uneventful, straight miles later pull off into the work parking lot. In parts of the country where the landscape is dominated by only county roads, I can see why you went in to work.

Now, when I used to live in Orlando for "A" school, there was this Burger King over by Apopka where guys would show up on Sunday mornings and we'd go blitz the roads to nowhere at speeds north of 75+ (no traffic or neighborhoods of course) and then come back and have lunch at BK. Back in those days, I had a '92 GSXR 750 with a 916 kit that dynoed just over 160 at the tire. That was a ton at that time, and somehow I survived. I learned how to carve my initial in rubber ("C") when viewed from the police helicopter on the damp Orlando afternoons. I've since lost all those skills after becoming domesticated
frown.gif

That Guzzi won't like being ignored ,you'll see.

I didn't ride mine either, [censored] ,[censored] [censored]. --76 convert

BUT this Sunday the miles will be adjusted upward.

Convert here

TOMB on Wild Guzzi

It just comes down to maturity. No judgement, just observation. When you're young everything takes a back seat to the thrill of the ride. As you progress thru life (wife,kids,responsibilities,making a living, providing for them in your absence etc. gradually the thrill takes a back seat. Not preaching, in this crazy world you can be just as dead walking into a Wal-Mart for a furnace filter.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
55 deg F upon rising this morning, forecast high of 70. Low humidity and full sun, crystal blue sky. Trees still mostly green, select few species have begun some slight preliminary color turning. Wife out of town all week, just me and the cat. As recently as last year I would've called in to work for a comp day (lots of comp hours built up) and been on the bike carving multiple roads to nowhere all day.

Guess I really should have sold it this summer instead of just blowing off about it. Clearly, I've lost the zeal. I went to work instead...

See your doctor!

When you're young, all days are a marker of your mindset and your stance against the world.

As you age, you realize that you win some and you lose some.
Not necessarily changing how you feel, but maybe how you act.

Hang in there and fight the good fight. Nobody can win them all...

I really should sell my Interceptor, the joy isn't there anymore. I didn't go through a tank of gas last year and this year seems the same.

I do like my KLR. Comfy over crappy roads, able to traverse deep water when it floods here, reliable, and slow!

It's been a great week of riding. A little cool in the mornings. The Fall leaves are out in abundance on the mountain roads.

I'm hoping that a new Hayabusa will be revealed at EICMA next month, so I can add another bike to the stable.

We are supposed to be getting that nice weather next week (Tuesday is supposed to be real nice).
I am working Tuesday and Wednesday, but Thursday and Friday I am off so plan on riding some miles those days.

I'm planning on breaking in the new Michelin Commander II's next week. I have a cabin reserved for October 10th through October 13th in Topton, N.C. in the Smoky mountains. Planning on riding the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Wayah Rd, the waterfall ride and a few other lesser known rides around the Santeetlah lake and Nantahala river/Fontana dam areas. Temps are forecast for the upper 60's to low 70's with morning lows in the 40's.
cool.gif
....Dues paid, y'all have fun at work
wink.gif

It's spring here and I had a ride planned...but woke up to wet roads and a day of showers. My roads are twisty and I wanted to push it, wet roads and I would just have to cruise along. Tomorrow is going to be fine, but I have a day booked with my granddaughter. There is a whole summer ahead for me, I'm sure some days will be perfect for a ride.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
It just comes down to maturity. .......... gradually the thrill takes a back seat. Not preaching, in this crazy world you can be just as dead walking into a Wal-Mart for a furnace filter.

I'm sorry? When was it that you met me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back