Engine popped after running out of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
my engine popped thanks to a loose oil filter

33.gif
the place i had taken it too forgot to tighten the oil filter and replace the oil plug seal(was leaking there also they claimed) (i would have paid for a new seal if they said something )

they had one job. and failed at it

92k RIP the Unicorn

the oil came out

oil cooked it self due to running low
black at just 2300 miles(I was doing 4k OCI with no loss to the oil and very very minimal carbon in the oil @4k )

VVT system popped

Loud knocking/clacking on start up
frown.gif
that lasts for 30-40 seconds

damage it's all ready done on the VVT system
frown.gif

it's not mobil1 fault it's the person who did the job at the chain shop.

I was really hoping i get it to 150k-200k or more without issue

now my engine is full of dirty carbonized oil and sludge..

i contacted the chain and made a claim they might have to replace the engine with a manufacture refurbished
maybe they should fix it instead top end rebuild?

20191002_164411.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear
mad.gif

Do you have other images? This one doesn't convey the situation very well.

Last edited:
If you ran it 2300 miles without checking the oil level, you may have a hard time proving negligence on the quick lube's work. Even though it's not my van, I ALWAYS check the company van's oil level at the first fillup after it's done, and every 1000 miles minimum. Good luck.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If you ran it 2300 miles without checking the oil level, you may have a hard time proving negligence on the quick lube's work. Even though it's not my van, I ALWAYS check the company van's oil level at the first fillup after it's done, and every 1000 miles minimum. Good luck.
i'll have to check my log book but i do check it every so often every 500-1000 miles or so..which is about once a month to month 1/2

there was a small puddle (i'll have to clean it up though).. then on the 160 miles trip most of it was lost.. then...

right now i'm getting a brake inspection... so unless some random person went under the suv to mess with it they were the last people to touch it.....

Those engines are known for consuming oil, AND for doing so suddenly. I'd guess it's possible that failure to check the level frequently enough resulted in low oil level after a couple thousand miles.

I don't think it leaked out. There is zero evidence of a significant leak in the pictures provided. However, pictures can be rather misleading.

Also, M1 should be clean, after 2000 miles, even with a low level. Unless the rings failed to seal.

Last edited:
You didn't get the dummy light of no oil pressure? You didn't notice any sounds of a train wreck emanating from the top end?

This story sounds odd to me, like I'm missing something....🤔

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
Another thread you stated 5 qts oil used in 2500 miles so that is 1 quart every 500 miles.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...er-major-issue-1qt-500-miles#Post5226004
You claimed someone was stealing gas also
All this points to engine problems
Good luck getting chain store to cover as most won't cover once you get any miles on it except oil filter or drain plug falls off and must be an oily mess

This particular poster has made many claims, both under this user name and all the previous ones. We all should be aware of that.

I don't check the oil in my 2003 Avalanche. When it tells me the oil level is low I dump 2 quarts in and keep rolling.

That filter doesn't look too bad. It actually looks like it just wasn't wiped off after installing it. Here's a loose and leaking filter that a lady came into our shop with her car knocking. This is the filter that some other shop put on.
[Linked Image]

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by kschachn
Another thread you stated 5 qts oil used in 2500 miles so that is 1 quart every 500 miles.
Good luck getting chain store to cover as most won't cover once you get any miles on it except oil filter or drain plug falls off and must be an oily mess

This particular poster has made many claims, both under this user name and all the previous ones. We all should be aware of that.

Are the Moderators not able to stop this kind of misinformation?
Another whistleblower with no real facts and a history of "Truth Decay".
God Bless America!

Saw this picture on Facebook and made me think of this thread
lol.gif

But yeah... my oil filter came loose once on my Durango... it left a trail of oil that was impossible to miss. The Tahoe should have popped an oil light.

79D45D2A-7F48-434A-925E-1781E60094CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Originally Posted by kschachn

Are the Moderators not able to stop this kind of misinformation?
Another whistleblower with no real facts and a history of "Truth Decay".
God Bless America!
NO way one oil change had no consumption then the next one very high consumption it does not work that way sorry... they are liable for not doing the work that they were paid to do ..
that is do an oil change and not screw it up.. the issue was notice on 9/29/19 evening of the missing oil ... also don't make up stuff i don't have multiple id's here that post is of the 30th CEL on the 30th (two P0430 codes Bank 1/2 )
thank you very much

hahah i did not just spend over 6 gallons just idling i had the fill up as they are in the process of jacking up the prices.. good thing i filled up on the 29th as thye jacked up the price the next day

20191004_182449.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back