When Was the Last Time You Asked to be Forgiven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
I posted a thread on "Forgiveness" and it has been deleted. Was something wrong with it? Nobody PM'd me or anything.

There were some really nice posts in it.

I'm guessing because of the religious oriented replies? BTW, mods never PM you before pulling a post. After yes, sometimes, not before.

The last time I asked forgiveness was Wednesday when I spoke harshly to my son not knowing what he had done. In other words I got angry and said a few choice words without having ALL the info.

He just took it and then told me what he had just done concerning the issue I got angry with him over.

I was crying on the inside realizing what a jerk I was 30 seconds ago. I apologized and asked him to forgive me and he did. I thanked him and hugged him.

I often wonder how many mental and physical problems we have due to our lack of forgiveness on both ends. In other words on both ends I mean both "asking for" and "giving" forgiveness

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Gebo
I posted a thread on "Forgiveness" and it has been deleted. Was something wrong with it? Nobody PM'd me or anything.

There were some really nice posts in it.

I'm guessing because of the religious oriented replies?....

No. Heartfelt.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Ws6
I don't know if anyone saw this on the news yesterday. But this Dallas Texas cop was convicted of murder, and got 10 years in prison for shooting and killing a guy who was sitting in his apartment on his couch, eating a bowl of ice cream. (She had entered his apartment by mistake, and thought it was hers, and he was an intruder).

The guy's brother gave a statement in the courtroom, after she was sentenced. He said he not only forgave her, but said he wishes she didn't have to go to jail. And then asked the judge if he could give her a hug! The judge said yes.

There wasn't a dry eye in that entire courtroom. In my 67 years of living, that was without question the biggest act of forgiveness I have ever witnessed. And I highly doubt I'll ever live to see another one like it...... Especially in today's world.

Why not before, eh? Took a lot of the punch and meaning out of it.

Really? How so?.... And remember, it's not up to the victims family members when they are allowed to speak. It's up to the judge and the court. Both when and if.

Makes sense given that.

How would it matter more? It would have indicated true caring instead of "well, got what was comin' to her, good, I can go say my piece, now". I'm not saying that WAS the intent, just that it's easier to be nice to someone after they've got their face mashed in the dirt by "your" team than prior to the match, yeah?

Originally Posted by Ws6
How would it matter more? It would have indicated true caring instead of "well, got what was comin' to her, good, I can go say my piece, now". I'm not saying that WAS the intent, just that it's easier to be nice to someone after they've got their face mashed in the dirt by "your" team than prior to the match, yeah?

Watch the video. This guy is about as genuine as a person can get.

My neighbor up the street is a retired teacher and High School teacher . One day we were on a walk when I said Dennis this may sound strange but I have to apologize to you as all my teachers I should have apologized to for not always being a 100% good student . He looked at me and said he had never heard that but he said he understood . I try to appologize as needed and appreciate the effort of others. I guess I am getting old

Older and wiser
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Asked for forgiveness …. never
Apologized …. can't recall any
Admitted (to myself) I was a jerk when I was young …. ALOT
As long as you aim for continuous improvement, your behavior should not be questioned.

Apologizing and forgiving is an important part of continuous improvement.

... and got 10 years in prison for shooting and killing a guy who was sitting in his apartment on his couch, eating a bowl of ice cream.

FYI, he wasn't shot while sitting on the couch. Shot after getting up and becoming aggressive while approaching her and not obaying orders. It was a horrible misunderstanding with both involved. And the brother knew it, hence his ability to forgive her.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... and got 10 years in prison for shooting and killing a guy who was sitting in his apartment on his couch, eating a bowl of ice cream.

FYI, he wasn't shot while sitting on the couch. Shot after getting up and becoming aggressive while approaching her and not obaying orders. It was a horrible misunderstanding with both involved. And the brother knew it, hence his ability to forgive her.

Pretty sure forensics showed he was "cowering" over his couch in fear. Lets say for a second that wasn't true, you can be [censored] sure a "cop" walks into my home I'm not "obeying" a single thing they say. There was zero misunderstanding on his part.

This is a wonderful thread. But there are sideline implications that, while understandable, are not really in-line with the intent of our site rules, so let's leave the religious undertones unsaid; we all understand regardless of our convictions one way or another.

Rather, let's enjoy the human interaction of those whom can tear down their own walls, take the risk of admitting fault, and breathe the air of relief when others accept and reciprocate the civility of upholding a sense of the golden rule.

I've had to eat crow a few times in my life, and frankly the anxiety and guilt was far worse than the treatment I was extended. And I've also been the one to extend forgiveness when asked, and it felt great to let the bygone be just that.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk

Pretty sure forensics showed he was "cowering" over his couch in fear. Lets say for a second that wasn't true, you can be [censored] sure a "cop" walks into my home I'm not "obeying" a single thing they say. There was zero misunderstanding on his part.

I don't think that's the case. During opening arguments the prosecution said his wound was consistent with being shot while leaning forward - as if he were getting up. No mention of aggression though.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk

If a cop (or anyone with a gun and trained on self defense) somehow mistakenly came into your home, you certainly do have the right to get up and quickly approach them if that's how you feel like reacting. But if they think they are in their home then you're likely to get shot over it because they perceive it as an act of aggression. Any cop that is quickly approached is most likely going to shoot to protect himself - happens all the time, regardless if the person approaching is armed or not. That's how cops are trained to react. That's what basically happened in this case.

Many little things could have been just a little different in the whole sequence of events and it would have never happened. It was the perfect storm of misunderstandings that unfolded in a horrible mistake. Forgiveness given by the bother who realizes what happened. If he thought any differently he wouldn't be so forgiving for the whole world to see.

I'm a klutz so practically everyday....‚.. that aside the last time I sought genuine forgiveness was from my ex wife, I was a total arse hole then. (some might say I still am...‚..but I don't drink anymore so I can't be as bad, I think)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back