Peak has a New Antifreeze

Peak is out with a new AF with longer recommended service interval. I might not run it as long as rated, but I like the spec sheet description. "Coolant is free of 2-EHA, silicate, nitrite, borate, and amines,...". So description reads like an improved inhibitor version of sub forum favorite, Peak Global Lifetime. Long service interval OAT AF no 2eha. I'll be interested to see availability and pricing of the concentrate. It does come in a 50/50 premix too.

https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-and-cool/auto/peak-antifreeze-coolant-full-strength/

[Linked Image from peakauto.com]

It says it meets two ATSM requirements but in most cases vehicle manufacturers specify their own spec for various fluids. Not an ATSM spec. But I will say I have not looked at this in any great detail.

Antifreeze is pretty cheap which respect to the price of a vehicle. Will probably only need to change the antifreeze once or twice in the life of the vehicle.
So its a minimal part of the overall maint cost of a vehicle.

So from my perspective I will always try and get antifreeze that meets the spec listed for my vehicle. That may mean OEM or a brand name depending upon what I can find.

I don't use universal coolant... Even when I've had several different vehicles of different brands it's not that hard to keep one bottle of g05 and one of dexcool. Granted I work at an auto parts store so I can get whatever coolant I need instantly. That said, if I had to use universal coolant I'd use Peak

Why is 2EHA ok in GM Dexcool vehicles but otherwise is terrible? My understanding is that, globally, 2EHA is one of the most produced chemicals for antifreeze purposes.. so it's being used in more than just GM applications.

I've used PGL in a Toyota Tacoma with no issues, radiator stayed clean. With the exception of no P matches Asian attributes as well most Dex oat. And as noted it has been well liked here.

As for 2eha, been oft discussed here. No Asian vehicle manufacturer uses it as inhibitor, newer Chrysler/FCA OAT doesn't use it, and Ford hasn't seen fit to back spec any vehicles to their orange Dex. The best explanation of the risks of 2eha was explained in the SAE paper, Chrysler switches to OAT. Unfortunately subscription now required to see and read. But a relevant excerpt from it is located on this sub-forum:

"Neither Chrysler nor Fiat has released the complete composition formula for their antifreezes. They reportedly are cocktails of three organic acids, featuring sebacate, but no 2-ethylhexanoate (2-EHA). The latter is a cost-effective but controversial additive that softens plastics, particularly silicone, leading to leaks from affected sealing materials, which means that silicone cannot be used in gaskets, O-rings, and hoses if the antifreeze contains 2-EHA." Two different Motor Mag articles over the years on AF basically said similar.

So, if an AF like PGL or this topic available, that would be my prefernce especially for a vehicle that doesn't spec Dex or any 2eha inhibitor AF. Other can do as they choose.

The funny thing, I guess the name of this new AF is Peak 10x.

Edit With some extra google searching I was able to located the source SAE paper.
https://www.scribd.com/document/375...T-Antifreeze-for-Longer-Service-Interval

Last edited:
My guess is that it's probably the same as their Final Charge series of coolants. It doesn't mention if it has no phosphate though in the spec sheet.

Also, Old World Industries has a long standing relationship with CCI - who supplies the Japanese OEMs with their pHOATs and it appears Mopar is also using CCI for coolant. There's a tell-tale 3-4 digit alphanumeric string on the front and back of CCI supplied coolants I've noticed. I've seen this with Toyota, Honda, Peak and Zerex Asian coolant bottles.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Why is 2EHA ok in GM Dexcool vehicles but otherwise is terrible? My understanding is that, globally, 2EHA is one of the most produced chemicals for antifreeze purposes.. so it's being used in more than just GM applications.

Ford, Chrysler and Toyota had a fear 2-EHA attacks certain elastomers and resins found in a cooling system - more so silicone and a few others. The catch-22 is that organic acids are all plasticizers to varying extents.

Some OATs use low levels of silicate (G-05/Premium Gold). or phosphate (Asian formulas) to protect cooling systems. Dexcool, Premium Orange, and others work well in a system that is designed for it, ESPECIALLY a degas bottle-air causes more trouble with Dex & it's relatives.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Reddy45

Ford, Chrysler and Toyota had a fear 2-EHA attacks certain elastomers and resins found in a cooling system - more so silicone and a few others. The catch-22 is that organic acids are all plasticizers to varying extents.

I would love if we could get a definitive answer on 2EHA.

Because either Peak and many other brands are selling a product that is known to damage plastic type materials found in modern vehicles AND GM is also aware and has not done anything.

Or the fear is unsubstantiated in 2019 and we don't have to worry which coolant is used in our vehicles.

I wonder if this new coolant will replace PGL?....I can't see a need for both....
Maybe it's a phosphated version of PGL....similar to how Prestone added phosphates to their latest Corguard coolant (although the Prestone also contains 2-EHA).

According to information from Peak/Old World product release, 10x not the same as Final Charge. Final Charge considered in thier Heavy Duty line. Topic described as Class 1,2,3 light duty for use in passenger cars, suvs, light trucks, same as PGL. (see 15:50 of video). While it doesn't mention no P in description, 'I'm thinking' as a universal AF unlike another company that uses 2eha as inhibitor no P is taken for granted same as Peak Global Lifetime has no P. Also unlike another company that also uses 2eha in their faux Asian AFs, Peak/Old World now has their own true Asian Phoat OET AF line with no 2eha.

Linked is the 10X product release video, corny in spots. It does have relevant information including in the Q&A(15:30). Best to skip to 3:30 to start.

https://peak.brand.live/c/newpeak

I can't see the need for OW to sell this and PGL....I'm betting they phase the PGL out.

As mentioned, time will tell about availability and pricing, I'd be most interested in the full strength version. PGL not exactly the most available, the concentrate basically only available at Napa stores. So have to see who gives the new 10x retail shelf space. I would agree though, with information provided currently seems like 10X should supersede PGL.

As for vid, watching it through, my observation is the guy on the left is more the 'promotional' side while the guy on the right, the product expert. I got a kick out of the former's answer to why 50/50. Answer given easily refuted by, use distilled and full strength, save money. But, I imagine a similar answer would be given by any of the AF manufacturers.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I don't use universal coolant... Even when I've had several different vehicles of different brands it's not that hard to keep one bottle of g05 and one of dexcool. Granted I work at an auto parts store so I can get whatever coolant I need instantly. That said, if I had to use universal coolant I'd use Peak

I agree, it's really that one fluid on a car that you change so infrequently that you really don't save much by going with aftermarket. And once you change it you may not change it again unless you go over 200,000 or a water pump goes, that's about it.

Having said that, do I think after,arrest fluids are bad or inferior? No, but then again I really don't want to worry about mixing coolants...will this work? Will that work? Are they compatible? Did I get enough coolant out before I introduced another coolant in there? Should I have done the flush? What about the engine block?

I just can't be bothered for an extra five bucks. And yet I still find this section of the forum as fascinating and informative as all of the others.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Does the Multi-vehicle "green" Prestone (in the yellow jug) contain 2-EHA?

Yep - it's more or less Dex-Cool but with phosphates and a 3rd inhibitors to help protect CAB heat exchangers. Ford is using something similar as OE fill and is calling for Cor-Guard on the Transit on a TSB.

I've seen the new Peak at O'Reilly this weekend. I'll stick to Toyota OE or Zerex/GC Asian formula for my fleet but in case a friend needs a coolant flush on a "problem child" car I would consider it.

I saw this new PEAK coolant today in AZ....I think it was $15.99 for the gallon of concentrate. (I should have paid more attention to the price but I was more interested in reading the back of the jug).

Just inside local O'R and saw topic AF, ~$12 for premix, ~$14 for the concentrate. That makes the latter ~$6 less than PGL concentrate at Napa. Between the two, seems like that makes 10x the easy choice.

So this is essentially a dex clone with no 2-EHA?

I was a little scared that the PO has put an OAT with 2-EHA into my 82 MB 300CD, but knock on wood is no worse for wear after all these years.

But it's tempting to try this or the cor-guard clone in my truck which is pristine but was a problem child type design that got transferred to run dex in the 90s (and did have to get a new intake gasket).

Back