Kirkland vs Duracell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need a battery yet. My current battery is DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 35, installed 6/09/2012 in my Accord. 7 years old battery. No sign off any issue yet but since Duracell is on sale at Sam's Club, I'm thinking of replacing it.

24F Kirkland/Interstate = $89.99
24F Duracell = $82.69

Thought, experience?

Originally Posted by Tundragod
I don't need a battery yet. My current battery is DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 35, installed 6/09/2012 in my Accord. 7 years old battery. No sign off any issue yet but since Duracell is on sale at Sam's Club, I'm thinking of replacing it.

24F Kirkland/Interstate = $89.99
24F Duracell = $82.69

Thought, experience?
Get something from autozone or one of the big chain stores that have locations far and wide... makes it easier when your on a road trip and need a warranty replacement

Last edited:
I have had no problems with either. Costco return policy is top notch but I haven't tried to return the interstate battery yet.

All Duracell (Sam's Club) batteries I've ever come across have been East Penn. If I was given the choice, I'd go that route every time.

That's not to say that there's anything inherently wrong with a JC battery (which is probably what Costco sells). I've had good luck with Walmart Everstart and chain store brands made by Johnson Controls, but EP has a better reputation for quality IMHO.

A 7 year old battery needs to be replaced, especially in a hot climate like SoCal. LaJolla excepted.

Last edited:
I have purchased Costco-Interstate 24F batteries for my Honda vehicles on two occasions and have been very satisfied. Each have lasted 6 years before I have retired them in early January. Six years is what I expect from a battery in New England. I have no desire to push my luck in the dead of winter.

The last I checked the warranty was 42 months @ 100% replacement. No pro-rating after 42 months. That warranty was better than auto parts stores in my area.

Thank you all. I hear ya about the wide spread availability but..... I have Interstate/Kirkland 5 yrs in MDX, 4 yrs in Camry that never have any problem, knock on wood.

I have owned both I have memberships at Costco and Sam's Club but the Duracell seems to be better battery than the Interstate and when Sam's has a 20 percent off sale, a better deal too. Sam's also has a much better selection of battery sizes than Costco. They both sell a 24F, but only Sam's sells a 27F or a 51R size. The Interstate sold at Costco is not the old Kirkland either which were better batteries. Maybe just at my location but Sam's seems to have fresher batteries mine the date code sticker of manufacturing was the same month I bought it.

Here's a story for ya:
I bought a Duracell from Sam's on Sunday, the day $20 off expires. Took it home and left it in the garage. I was thinking, "I'll replace it when the old one dies."
Friday after work, a Sam's club run for a delicious rotisseries chicken. Came out to the car it wouldn't crank. "Dang it, I should've replace that battery.", I thought. Had a guy near by to jump but it would not turn. Had it hooked to his car for another 5 minutes, no turn.
I went inside to get help and two guys came out with two different jumper thingy. Still no turn. I asked the Sam's club guy if I can buy a new battery and return the old one I had at home in the garage. He said if it looked anything like used, he can't except it. So, I had my wife to come pick me up so I can get the battery from home and installed it. Nothing. So I had it towed home. It turns out to be a bad starter. 117k miles Seems low for a starter to go bad. I had and have cars with original starters: 1992 ls400 320k miles, 02 crv 165k miles, 04 MDX 168K
Story doesn't end here.
Got a no name brand starter from Amazon for ~$102+tax. Installed it, put the old battery back in and it started right up. Shut off and restarted 2 more times just to make sure it works. Didn't drive the car until next Monday.
While I had the throttle body off, I thought I better clean it. Big mistake. Now I have high and searching idles. Found some info on youtube on how to fix it but I will have to buy a scanner. In the mean time, I'll keep driving the car as is hoping the sensor will learn the new, cleaned position. It has been over a week and 168 miles on the odometer. Still idles above 1k and sometimes searching higher.
That's my story and I'm....

Here's a story for ya:
I bought a Duracell from Sam's on Sunday, the day $20 off expires. Took it home and left it in the garage. I was thinking, "I'll replace it when the old one dies."
Friday after work, a Sam's club run for a delicious rotisseries chicken. Came out to the car it wouldn't crank. "Dang it, I should've replace that battery.", I thought. Had a guy near by to jump but it would not turn. Had it hooked to his car for another 5 minutes, no turn.
I went inside to get help and two guys came out with two different jumper thingy. Still no turn. I asked the Sam's club guy if I can buy a new battery and return the old one I had at home in the garage. He said if it looked anything like used, he can't except it. So, I had my wife to come pick me up so I can get the battery from home and installed it. Nothing. So I had it towed home. It turns out to be a bad starter. 117k miles Seems low for a starter to go bad. I had and have cars with original starters: 1992 ls400 320k miles, 02 crv 165k miles, 04 MDX 168K
Story doesn't end here.
Got a no name brand starter from Amazon for ~$102+tax. Installed it, put the old battery back in and it started right up. Shut off and restarted 2 more times just to make sure it works. Didn't drive the car until next Monday.
While I had the throttle body off, I thought I better clean it. Big mistake. Now I have high and searching idles. Found some info on youtube on how to fix it but I will have to buy a scanner. In the mean time, I'll keep driving the car as is hoping the sensor will learn the new, cleaned position. It has been over a week and 168 miles on the odometer. Still idles above 1k and sometimes searching higher.
That's my story and I'm....

Cheer up, things could be worse. So he cheered up and sure enough things got worse.

08 Accord.
Researching Scanner now. 3 main options I would like to get are Key, ECU coding and TP reset. Those are >$750. Probably settle for NT650 Elite about $230 without key and ecu coding.

08 Accord.
Researching Scanner now. 3 main options I would like to get are Key, ECU coding and TP reset. Those are >$750. Probably settle for NT650 Elite about $230 without key and ecu coding.

Why do you need a scanner and a key replacement for a battery?

If you are the legit owner of the car, you can go to your local Honda dealer with proof of ownership and ask for the immobilizer brake code you can use to start your car if the chip keys aren't working. You enter that code with a series of pedal presses and handbrake pulls to enter each digit. If it works, your PCM and IMMO units are probably still good and you just need new keys programmed via the HDS or equivalent scan tool.

Does anyone know who makes Costco/kirkland batteries in Canada? I've owned three of those and they've been very reliable and very well priced. The last one failed month ago, after 11, brutal Canadian winters. I replaced that 550 CCA battery with an 850 CCA version. The next cheapest battery, of similar performance, was $50.00 more, with a year less warranty.

Originally Posted by nthach
08 Accord.

Why do you need a scanner and a key replacement for a battery?

Ah?
I need a scanner to reset TPS. I would like to get a scanner with key programming to program a second key for my MDX. ECU coding capability just in case I need to replace any ecu. No dealer will program your car for free or cheap. I've already asked. Minimum shop rate cost was $75 + TPS reset time. If you would like to help please call Tom Kadlec Honda SERVICE: 507-280-2200 for me. I need key programming for my 2nd key. 2011 MDX. I bought the MDX with only one key and that key is working fine. The 2nd key I got it used from ebay. I also got the blank key from ebay and had it cut at Tom Kadlec parts dept for free. I need that 2nd key fob programmed so that my wife will have one when she wants it or a spare.
2 things I need your help with:
TPS reset - free or 2nd key programming for 11 MDX Tom Kadlec Honda SERVICE: 507-280-2200

Thanks for you help. Let me know who you talked to at the Service Dept.

Agree on getting something from Autozone or Walmart might be the best option for availability while traveling

[/quote] Get something from autozone or one of the big chain stores that have locations far and wide... makes it easier when your on a road trip and need a warranty replacement[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back