OLM and why I ignore mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of people love their OLM, and swear by it, and that's fine. This has been a trend since they first came out for a lot of people, even after some had to be re-calibrated shortening the OCI. I ignore both OLMs in my 08 Liberty and 2016 Rubicon. UOA data indicated doing so was a good choice for "me." Both were overly optimistic, at least until now. Last oil change on my Liberty I reset the OLM, I always do when I change the oil. 3.5 months later and 2,451 miles it indicates I need an oil change. The only thing that changed with regard to how the vehicle was driven this OCI was I idled about 15 minutes longer than normal for a transmission fluid service to be certain I had the level dialed in. Typically the OLM will easily go three times that distance or more. And yes it was in fact reset. Hopefully I don't need a flame suit, I just found this interesting/odd. Maybe the OLM died?

I had that happen on my old Durango once... went ~7,000 miles and called for an oil change, so I did one and reset the thing... then ~3,000 miles later it was asking for another. Oil still looked fresh (yeah yeah I know that doesn't mean anything but meh) so I reset it again.

Now that I change ours every 6 months, they never really go off.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I had that happen on my old Durango once... went ~7,000 miles and called for an oil change, so I did one and reset the thing... then ~3,000 miles later it was asking for another. Oil still looked fresh (yeah yeah I know that doesn't mean anything but meh) so I reset it again.

Part of me says dump it and get a UOA, but I know that would be a complete waste of time and money. But it would prove again it's inaccuracy, only on the low end of the spectrum. I currently have no low end data. LOL I only have data from what I considered a good OCI for it.

If I change it every 6 months mine wouldn't have gone off either.

I'm the same way. The one in my Jeep is WAY overly optimistic. At least in my opinion. I change oil and filter twice a year. After 3 oil changes it's telling me the oil still has 74% "life" left in it. Perhaps it will after it gets pumped out of the recycling tank over at AutoZone, and ends up in someone else's crankcase.

Originally Posted by billt460

I'm the same way. The one in my Jeep is WAY overly optimistic. At least in my opinion. I change oil and filter twice a year. After 3 oil changes it's telling me the oil still has 74% "life" left in it. Perhaps it will after it gets pumped out of the recycling tank over at AutoZone, and ends up in someone else's crankcase.

I ended up settling for 6K miles in the Liberty I'm writing about here.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I expect that the newer OLM may be better than the older ones from ~ 2014?

I would think so, although my 2016 is overly optimistic. Funny thing is back in 08 when my Liberty was new many thought the OLMs were dead nuts on in many brands, and it spurred a few good arguments here. I recall GM reprogramming some of theirs shortening the OCI, some thought that system was spot on as well. My point in all of this is for those following their OLM is to get a UOA to determine its accuracy, it will be money well spent imo.

For most drivers, the use of a quality synthetic oil and 5000 mile oil changes will give the best results possible. The cost of 5 quarts of M1 is currently $22 at WarMart, so there really is not much to be saved by going cheaper.

As I keep mentioning, oil gets contaminated with soot and other particulates, it becomes saturated with combustion by products and fuel dilution is common with DI engines. An oil change is the only way to remove contaminates from your engine. It's cheap and effective.

Modern engines are showing a stunning number of failures. From cam chains, balancer chains, to cam bearings, rod bearings, and variable camshaft timing devices. A great many of those failures can be prevented by the proper choice of oil and more frequent changes.

I ignore the OLM.

I don't go by them either. I find them to be an annoyance. I don't do UOAs either. Every 5,000 miles is good with me. As far as the UOAs, I see Blackstone encouraging people to keep pushing the limits on oil changes. BUNK!

None of mine have OLM's, and if I did get one with one, I'd ignore it. I do tire rotations every 5k as I've found my FWD cars wear tires "funny" if I don't; I might as well change the oil at the same time.

Originally Posted by supton
None of mine have OLM's, and if I did get one with one, I'd ignore it. I do tire rotations every 5k as I've found my FWD cars wear tires "funny" if I don't; I might as well change the oil at the same time.

thumbsup2.gif
That's what I do with my 2016 Rubicon.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
perhaps a faulty sensor? Any shadow codes?

That's what I was wondering. Seems awfully short.
21.gif

A UOA though is the way to go. What oil are you running? Just curious.

I have been trying to get use to yearly oil changes but with cost of my van I have been doing 6 month oil changes. First 2 were at 4500 miles and this time I only have 3000 miles. Never seen OLM but tempted to go to the one year mark but wife doesn't think I will make it. Since I don't put many miles I am tempted to go with Havoline conventional oil in bag for less than 15.00.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
perhaps a faulty sensor? Any shadow codes?

That's what I was wondering. Seems awfully short.
21.gif

A UOA though is the way to go. What oil are you running? Just curious.

No codes or CEL. My wife told me it went on last night on her way home from work. I looked in my log because I knew no way in [censored] was it due for an oil change. I checked for a CEL and codes this morning, I should have put that into the thread. I reset the OLM, logged the date and miles and will see when it trips next. I will be certain not to reset it when I change the oil next time, so I have something to compare it to.

The scion has a dumb OLM, just an idiot light that goes on at 5k miles.

I change between 4-5k with bargain semi syn oil and bargain filters and never had a problem.

Originally Posted by JustinH
The scion has a dumb OLM, just an idiot light that goes on at 5k miles.

I change between 4-5k with bargain semi syn oil and bargain filters and never had a problem.

I think that's considered a maintenance light, not OLM. I know I read the manuals on my two Toyota's that have them, and I want to say that is what they were called in the manual, but it's been a while since I read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back