diesel oil in gasoline engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a 5W-30 Dexos 2 oil in my Hyundai 2.4l.

No idea if it's actually helping the car or not, but it makes me feel better.

I was definitely planning on waiting until after winter before switching to it but thanks everyone for the advice. The engine doesn't burn oil so if that means the cats won't be affected that's looking like a real good option.

Does HDEO diesel oil cleans sludge in Engine as well? I noticed there are sludges build up in my gasoline engine. For my understanding, diesel engine oil has more detergents in it so it can help cleans the sludges well.

In my experience it does, at least more than normal gasoline engine oils.
I have the same case, the previous owner did not change the oil regularly so i am trying to clean it up.

A mineral, mixed fleet HDEO 15W-40 in a warmish climate .... that's a poor man's shear stable synthetic. Wish I realised that years ago, I would have saved myself a bit of coin.

I have used up 10 police cruisers of various models and all have run Delvac 5W40. 3 of them have clogged a cat prior to 100,000 miles, which I believed are required to be covered by the manufacturer, and have been, despite running 5W40.

Originally Posted by spj
I have used up 10 police cruisers of various models and all have run Delvac 5W40. 3 of them have clogged a cat prior to 100,000 miles, which I believed are required to be covered by the manufacturer, and have been, despite running 5W40.

So 30% of the cats were ruined by running a diesel oil in a gas engine? Not good.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by spj

So 30% of the cats were ruined by running a diesel oil in a gas engine? Not good.

You have issue with corellation and causation, plus a basic misunderstanding of generall related facts ("W" rating and oil flow, and engine protection as a simple subset).

The OEM covered them..therefore did not even mount the argument that the oil caused the issue

Originally Posted by spj

LOL! So true snagglefoot

Originally Posted by SR5
A mineral, mixed fleet HDEO 15W-40 in a warmish climate .... that's a poor man's shear stable synthetic. Wish I realised that years ago, I would have saved myself a bit of coin.

Agreed

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by spj

You have issue with corellation and causation, plus a basic misunderstanding of generall related facts ("W" rating and oil flow, and engine protection as a simple subset).

The OEM covered them..therefore did not even mount the argument that the oil caused the issue

And you work at a coal burning power plant. Enough of the personal attacks Aussie boy.

Originally Posted by spj

And you work at a coal burning power plant. Enough of the personal attacks Aussie boy.

Is this an attack on someone based upon where they live and where they work? It sure reads that way. But back to the contention and away from the personal attack.

Biases are real we all have them and like to confirm them, knowing our nature weneed to consider that when attempting to solve a problem. in this case 30% cat failure rate in 100k. A person with a bias thinking oil with phosphorous levels that are high will lead to cat poisoning will see this as confirmation.On the other hand, Let's say the cruisers were a certain make, say GM and I think GM buys crappy cats and this proves my point, it's GM product, my opinion is right!

That's why we always must be open to the fact that correlation is not the same as causation.
By jumping to a conclusion with what we believe to be true and not with what we know to be true we are likely to address a problem improperly and not take actions that resolve the actual cause.

Last edited:
[/quote]

Is this an attack on someone based upon where they live and where they work? It sure reads that way. But back to the contention and away from the personal attack.

Biases are real we all have them and like to confirm them, knowing our nature weneed to consider that when attempting to solve a problem. in this case 30% cat failure rate in 100k. A person with a bias thinking oil with phosphorous levels that are high will lead to cat poisoning will see this as confirmation.On the other hand, Let's say the cruisers were a certain make, say GM and I think GM buys crappy cats and this proves my point, it's GM product, my opinion is right!

That's why we always must be open to the fact that correlation is not the same as causation.
By jumping to a conclusion with what we believe to be true and not with what we know to be true we are likely to address a problem improperly and not take actions that resolve the actual cause.

[/quote]

You're words speak the truth. Jumping to personal attacks is bad when we don't know the truth, even if we think we do. Most of us have probably done this.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by SR5

Agreed

Agreed x2...my old Ranger, which only sees use in the summer, loves this oil. Lowest oil consumption and VT noise for a tired old pickup.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by SR5

Agreed

Agreed x2...my old Ranger, which only sees use in the summer, loves this oil. Lowest oil consumption and VT noise for a tired old pickup.

I was thinking about throwing it in my B4000 next summer since I take a fair amount of longer fishing trips in it. It doesn't burn any oil but is sure scorches the heck out of it. Might take advantage of the more robust add pack and try to clean the engine up a bit.

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by SR5

Agreed

I was thinking about throwing it in my B4000 next summer since I take a fair amount of longer fishing trips in it. It doesn't burn any oil but is sure scorches the heck out of it. Might take advantage of the more robust add pack and try to clean the engine up a bit.

Yeah my Ranger's has seen better days (it was a fleet vehicle for a local pest control company) but I got it for next to nothing way back when and it's still going. I'm not gonna do a rebuild on a truck worth $1k on a good day..so I just run the thick stuff in it and keep it topped off. The 15/40 slowed the oil burning down a lot.

Do catalytic converters "clog" because of the phosphorous off-gassing that might be associated older oils? Or do they just lose effectiveness/efficiency?

Because I've heard of the loss of effectiveness/efficiency failure mode, but 'clogging', never heard of that being the case.

I run HDEO in my cars, but I run extremely long drains. My theory being, sure, the oil is high in ZDDP/phosphorous, but because I change it so rarely, the overall gas path exposure to the contaminants is likely to be less than someone who runs normal PCMO at normal change intervals.

Realistically, how often do OEMs really deny warranty claims? Especially against a valuable fleet customer such as a police agency?

Whats a cat cost? A couple hundred bucks at the most on exchange? Yes, the retail price is high, but that's because of the cost of the precious metals involved. Which are recovered when the unit is recycled.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Do catalytic converters "clog" because of the phosphorous off-gassing that might be associated older oils? Or do they just lose effectiveness/efficiency?

Because I've heard of the loss of effectiveness/efficiency failure mode, but 'clogging', never heard of that being the case.

I run HDEO in my cars, but I run extremely long drains. My theory being, sure, the oil is high in ZDDP/phosphorous, but because I change it so rarely, the overall gas path exposure to the contaminants is likely to be less than someone who runs normal PCMO at normal change intervals.

I believe (don't quote me on this) that the phos coats the media/elements and causes them to run hotter and die prematurely.

Cats, in theory, should outlast everything on a car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back