High Mileage Oil on a 2 year old High Mileage Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by stanlee
I only use HM synthetic oils NOT Dexos2 rated (such as M1 EPHM ). If it's Dexos2 I figure it's more seal conditioners than anti-wear and detergents. It's usually the anti-wear and detergents that would throw HM oils out of spec (in a good way). I use them randomly at 265k miles and counting.

Wait, what?! I surely hope you meant HM Synthetic oils that are NOT DEXOS 1 Gen2 as DEXOS GEN 2 is a diesel specification for your info
wink.gif

DEXOS 1 Gen2 is not about seal conditioners, etc BTW

Id say high mileage oil is more for age instead of miles. High mileage doesnt cause dried out seals but time will.

Year and mileage don't matter. The oil still needs to comply with whatever certifications are on the bottle. If SN, it will work in any vehicle requiring it. It just has certain additives and seal conditioner that approach the upper limits of SN.

Use without a second thought.

Last edited:
I have never seen so many people interested in High Mileage oil. I put between 250-300K miles on all my vehicles [Ford&GM] and never used HM oil. In fact I would not buy a vehicle that used it.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
I have never seen so many people interested in High Mileage oil. I put between 250-300K miles on all my vehicles [Ford&GM] and never used HM oil. In fact I would not buy a vehicle that used it.

AMEN!

So true
Lots of logged those kind of miles even before HM oil was even introduced
How did that happen 🤔🤔

What does that even mean? The only difference is slightly more seal conditioners (not swellers) and a slightly more robust add pack. Why would that keep you from buying a car?

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Lots of logged those kind of miles even before HM oil was even introduced
How did that happen 🤔🤔

Same way not everyone died from polio before the vaccine... they got lucky....

"Never seen" is the one, but you have also never hear about people with flowed gaskets?

Interestingly, apart from gaskets and seals, HiMi oils have often also a littlebit bigger addpacks. Not like racing oils, but for example 1100 zinc, instead of average 850 etc.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
You could stick with what worked, especially since you said, "haven't had an issue and she runs just like she did on day 1." Leaving well enough alone is usually a good choice.

This ^^^^^^^^^

DMSC

Don't Make Stuff Complicated

And Stuff can be substituted for
smile.gif

I think I will just go and tinker with all my system settings until the PC no longer boots.

"addendum"

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Is it possible, than HiMi oils have all the stuff in theirs addpacks, than I should never put extra as 3rd part additive(s) into other engine oils?

It's possible a fully formulated oil has everything you need. For example, if you want more moly than use an oil with more moly....

I don't use any additives regularly.
Sorry I dont know what "fully formulated" is. Who determines, and how, what "fully" is?
And... thats occasionally a little bit difficult find a Hi Mi oil, than have addpack AND base oils, which appeal…

Therefore, I make/mix my HiMi self
56.gif

I'm putting valvoline 0-20 high mileage in my wifes 18 rogue with 20k on it. Not because it needs it or I'm staving off future issues. Meijer clearanced it out for $1.92 a quart. I bought 30qts.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I'm putting valvoline 0-20 high mileage in my wifes 18 rogue with 20k on it. Not because it needs it or I'm staving off future issues. Meijer clearanced it out for $1.92 a quart. I bought 30qts.

This. It isn't a necessity nor a deterrence, just good oil.

HM oil is designed to treat symptoms commonly seen in high mileage vehicles. But if your car is not showing any of these symptoms then you don't need the HM oil. There's no need to use HM oil just because you have achieved a certain number on the odometer. Keep using what you've been using until you have a good reason to switch.

I usually only use high mileage oils in 10+ year old cars with possibly brittle gaskets. I see no point otherwise. FWIW my Accord went over 570k on dealership bulk oil changes (non high mileage) before I bought it and started doing them myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back