GM EOS additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
From ebaker's post it does have VII's.

The only ingredients that may cause problems over the long run is the levels of magnesium and phosphorus.

I was doing research on GM E.O.S. and I found out, on a Cadillac owners website, that E.O.S. is supposed to contain 12 times the ZDDP of conventional engine oil. Also, E.O.S. uses what was called on the website, "standard 40 weight engine oil" fortified with ZDDP (and other stuff).

I bought some and the Chevy dealer told me that the name change and recommendation "not to use it as an oil additive", is because supposedly prolonged use of E.O.S. may cause catalytic converter problems and in turn, effect a car's pollution-making. I have read differing opinions on whether it hurts a converter.

I also came across some information about E.O.S. regarding engine storage. Zinc is supposed to be a good rust preventer.

I'd like to know whether E.O.S., with its large amounts of zinc, is good to add to an engine of a vehicle, that is in storage (to prevent internal rust). The information I found, so far, was that this is true.

Maybe someone at BITOG has some information or comments about this storage idea.

I'd like to know more.
Thanks in advance!

I wanted to add to the above information.

The supposed negative effect on the catalytic converter by the E.O.S., may be if you use the whole bottle, not necessarily the "1 oz. per 1 quart of oil" usage rule.

I am not sure right now.

Maybe someone else knows?

It's much thicker than 40 wt, probably 60 wt. There's no reason you can't add 1/2 oz/qt. I've thought of adding 1 oz/qt Synpower oil treatmend and 1/4 oz/qt EOS. That would add about:
100 ppm Zddp
100 ppm Moly
35 ppm Boron
35 ppm Mg

Just keep in mind that the addition of extra anti-oxidants and AW agents doesn't necessarily guarantee better protection.

Technical papers in the industry show that certain compounds are only beneficial up to certain dosages and beyond that, they can actually cause oil and machine degradation.

I would limit any ZDDP or like compound to or slightly below that of the levels found in HDEO oils. You can search the Virgin Oil and Diesel oil threads to find out these levels.

And if in doubt, always send a sample of your mix for analysis.

Last edited:
quote:

Just keep in mind that the addition of extra anti-oxidants and AW agents doesn't necessarily guarantee better protection.
Technical papers in the industry show that certain compounds are only beneficial up to certain dosages and beyond that, they can actually cause oil and machine degradation.

Good point. That is why I don't like mixing oils. If I have a headache, 2 Advil will work, 15 might kill me. More is not always better.

Molekule, is this the VII/dispersant?
084605209 R 7.2300/ 14.4600% W Amines, polyethylenepoly-, reaction products with succinic anhydridepolyisobutenyl derivs.
Also does 1200 - 1350 ppm zddp sound like a good max level for a high performance daily driver? Does moly help prevent catalyst damage and combustion chamber deposits from the Phosphorus and magnesium?

When I was a diesel mechanic I kept a pump oiler full of EOS on my tool box. Any time I installed a metal to metal bearing it got pre-lubed with a squirt of EOS. Main bearings, rod bearings, camshafts, thrust washers. I never had a problem with anything I lubed that way, even if it went into storage as a spare unit.

OTOH, there's no way I would pour it in at an oil change. It's super thick (a "technical assessment").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back