Which 508.00 oil would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gamefoo21
It's like my parents Hyundai, it's interesting because if you put the 5w20 into it the oil on the highway gets really hot, think the sensor on a summer day records 120-130'C. Put 0w40 into it and the oil temps are down below 110'C and in 5th at 110kph, it will pull. Compared to the 20 weight, where it has almost no pick up or pull.
I dont like wee-wee-oils, but there is the eternal question:
Runs the engine hotter or is the oil (oil sump) hotter with 5W-20? Or both?
56.gif
Thinner oil flows faster. Can it absorb and transport more heat? I dont know...
confused.gif

That can be only verified with logs of coolant for peaks (diagnostic hardware). Or not? But I mean with the new generations of themostats, its as well not so easy (?)

Secondly: Is 130°C for 20 oil not out of reliability?? I have years years ago seen a study from VW about 5W-30 (504/507 was new in the time of this study), that ESP 5W-30 was safe (wear, oil film etc.), I mean, up to 125°C. 30. But 20 grade and 130°C? Huh...

Are Hyundais engine parts plasma coated?
48.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by dbias
My 17 Audi A4 with the 2.0 L specifies VW 502 / 504 on the under hood sticker. I generally use 502 oils.

The A4 2.0T has 2 different engines available. You didn't get the Ultra with 190 hp, which gets the Budack cycle engine which means 508.00 oil spec.

I got the CYMC 252 HP Quattro.

Originally Posted by BrandonT
Originally Posted by paoester
PAO % in 508 oils: Its all over the place. Mobil1 doesn't have much. Castrol is about 1/3. Total Quartz is almost all PAO.

What leads you to that conclusion? I may grab that Total for a VOA. Anyone know what kind of add pack they use, as far as boron or moly, and detergent?

Concluded from MSDS (data sheets), not the product data sheets, but the one that lists hazardous chemicals in it. They give a good enough range of percents for PAO to say "about 1/3" or to say its all PAO when there is no hydrotreated group3 oil to round it out.

BTW, LiquiMoly 508 is all PA too.. Ravenol's 508 is all-PAO. Can't remember if the Motul is, but I thinks its all-PAO too. Thing is though, if Castrol and Mobil have a superior addtive set, then they can get away with using less PAO, and would explain why they can meet VW 508's high standards while not using all-PAO formulas.

The Total should be good oil since its a good company by reputation. It meets 508 after all. I don't know what a VOA for one of those looks like. Even if you see low moly, they could be making up for that by other friction modifiers, and the rest you can't draw any conclusions about it.

Wish they would have checked for friction modifiers like Moly, Boron, Ti! I have a bottle of the Total on the way to do a VOA, but from that study I'm pretty sure I'll go with Total for my next oil change (2018 Audi SQ5). Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Vigg
Adding a little more content now.

Based on this info what would you choose:

https://www.ato24.de/en/blog/comparison-0w-20-engine-oils

that's a pretty detailed analysis. Honestly, like most oils that meet the spec, my guess is that it won't matter to your engine at all. That said, you have to put something in there, so based on that info I'd go with the Ravenol, due to the higher hths and TBN relative to the other oils. M1 ESP looks good as well even if noack is slightly out of range--but I don't think that's available in the US?

Yeah the Ravenol looks really good, might have to look into that when it is available in the US. I just received my Total so I'll be sending a VOA off this week. I like it for the nice balance of highish viscosity index, solid HTHS, and low CCS. And nothing that really stands out as worse than the rest. And $40 for 5 liters makes it a no-brainer vs the OEM Castrol which looks meh in that report (though not terrible by any means, all the competition is pretty solid with this new 508 spec)

Last edited:
Yeah the Ravenol looks really good, might have to look into that when it is available in the US. I just received my Total so I'll be sending a VOA off this week. I like it for the nice balance of highish viscosity index, solid HTHS, and low CCS. And nothing that really stands out as worse than the rest. And $40 for 5 liters makes it a no-brainer vs the OEM Castrol which looks meh in that report (though not terrible by any means, all the competition is pretty solid with this new 508 spec)

Looking forward to seeing your VOA results. I was set on getting Motul but may have to try the Total for all the reasons you listed. Seems like a top oil at a great price.

Thank you for posting that excellent comparison-just looking at it-it seems that Motul 0w20 is right up there in many different categories and remember looking at Motul 0w20 sds sheet and it has majority pao. I usually cannot tell any difference in most oils I have used for different vehicles-with the exception of Motul and Redline. Redline 5w30 in my current Lexus LS 400 felt heavy with increased drag-and really wanted to like the Redline-May try redline 5w20 in future. I am running Motul 5w30 eco energy in car now-has lower kinetic viscosity about 10 with full saps and good HTHS of 3.4-this car responds significantly better with this oil.
I used to own a 2011 VW golf Tdi-traded back due to emissions scandal and had 240000 miles on it. I tried every 507.00 oil in that car and Motul 507 specific was only one really felt difference smoother throttle response and accelerated better with it. In that car I really wanted to like the Mobil 1 5w30 esp-and ironically that was only oil felt increased drag of car.

. I just received my Total so I'll be sending a VOA off this week.And $40 for 5 liters makes it a no-brainer
Did you get in person pickup in Littleton Colorado? I thought I saw they would do that for locals. Total should be great oil. I'm still tempted to go even cheaper and get the only MB 229.71 (strict spec too) available at Walmart for $5 per quart, Castrol Edge Extended Performance 20,000 Mile 0w-20 (no PAO in it), where Mercedes says it is 229.71 but Castrol is silent on it, strange. I guess I need that green VW 508 dyed oil, and admit all-PAO is nice, so hard to decide.

As for the comparison above, you can mostly tell which of them have the most polyalphaolefins by the lower CCS numbers. https://www.ato24.de/en/blog/comparison-0w-20-engine-oils

It might just be a marketing target kind of thing, but notice nobody says their VW 508 oil can be used in other luxury cars (Jag, Mercedes, etc.) and is also dexosD, except Mobil1 ESP X2 0w20.

Thanks for posting! I guess at a quick glance we would give the nod to Total but I guess we can't really tell what's going on behind the scenes. What else can we infer from this VOA? I actually had to look up Antimony as I've never heard of it and then read most analysis don't even test for it. Is 4 ppm enough of that stuff to do any good?

Some of those trace metals may be contamination of the sample, or maybe even of the test machine. I doubt Antimony is purposely added.

I like the Boron. I've noticed a trend of modern oils that have Boron and Moly, even in these small amounts have good UOA. Like Pennzoil Ultra, which had significantly better UOA on my 370Z than Castrol Edge with Ti.

I don't know what to think of the Acid Number, Oxidation, and Nitration. Those might only be relevant to used oil. But given how these look at the previous study look, I'll be using the Total my next oil change.

Last edited:
Oxidation in new oil basically measures how much ester is in there. Not much in both.
Interesting how Total has Antimony, something Schaeffers used to have.
Yet neither have moly friction reducers. One could say they don't need it because the low HTHS cuts friction enough on its own, OR they have organic friction reducers that don't show up on a VOA. Of course, the titanium in the Castrol may have friction benefits while also being anti-wear.
Total has more PAO, so Castrol's addtive package must be advanced enough to compensate for using more non-PAO while still meeting the strict VW 508.
These VOAs seldom test for WS2 in case that is being used in place of moly.
Also, I'm surprised silicon isn't higher, like around 10 ppm, for the usual silicate anti-foam we see almost all the time.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
My choice would always be
Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W20 VW 508 00/509 00.

Why

Pending VOA on Motul (or if I had some Ravenol), I think the obvious choice is the Total from the data we have so far. And it's half the price of what the dealer charges for Castrol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back