First drive - 2019 Audi E-Tron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dareo
The only problem with EVs today: They are like Cell Phones 5-7 years ago. Just wait a bit longer and get something dramatically better. When they get to where phones are now, where they cannot really innovate much beyond adding a 3rd camera and a larger battery you know its time to buy.

Yes, EVs are evolving. Early adopters, like me, are also paying a premium. Our Model 3 is cheaper now, and is less than 1 year old.
A major EV technology shift is tougher. For example, the 7 year old Model S offers far better range than any EV on the market today at any price.
Battery technology, including charging rates and times, are being explored. When better battery technology is realized is hard to say.
The Tesla Roadster claims 600 mile range; perhaps there is something coming.

If you can charge at home, and if you have a second car for longer trips, you just might love an EV.
I have zero regrets on our car, and it wasn't cheap.
Overkill is smitten over this beautiful E-Tron.
I can tell you, after 1 year, our Model 3 puts a huge smile on our faces; I expect Overkill to report the same a year from now.

Originally Posted by double vanos
As it stands, electric vehicles are mostly considered to be in town vehicles. Since normal day to day living needs only 200 miles range (or less) daily, I foresee sales picking up for the "second car " electric vehicle. Once one gets used to never having to visit the gas station, change oil, do tune ups, emissions testing etc. perceptions of an EV as "not a real car" will change.

That's kind of my thought. One could have that big ole SUV for the weekend but zip around in something considerably smaller for the daily grind. I get that not everyone has 4 car garages, but heck even that seems just around the corner, as everything gets bigger.

I realize electronics and gizmos don't cost that much but it'd be nice to get one or more of these EV's as an old school econobox. One for junior to drive to school and around town, one for me to commute to work in. I've yet to run the TCO numbers though, not sure how my cheapo cars stack up. Of course, econoboxes have all but gone away, so that hope is probably for the birds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Audios said:
Audi gives you a credit toward the home charger install, I think $500? The cost will depend on your electrician and location I imagine
21.gif

2 years ago to have a dedicate fast charging station in you garage was CA$ 3,000

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican

2 years ago to have a dedicate fast charging station in you garage was CA$ 3,000

Depending on what electric setup you have and what you want, a home charging install can be big bucks.
Tesla Wall Charger is $500 plus tax (not needed unless you want top of the line).
220 plug works for most people with the included cable.
110 is like 5 mph; forget it unless you hardly use the car.
You might have to add capacity to your service box.
The wire is expensive; running the wire to your garage is expensive.
Less if your service box is in the garage, of course.

I would expect a dedicated line to my garage and a wall charger would run $1200 minimum.
And our house is tiny compared to most. I do have room for the breaker in the service box.
There is no free ride...

Last edited:
There is a new innovation that can be used for longer trips. I think it's called "car rental" or something like that, not sure.

Originally Posted by Audios
How much does the charging station install cost? Ive always wondered this when thinking about if electric cars would make sense for me. Also, how much more is this compared to a comparable gasser Audi suv? that 400$ a month in gas may balance out, especially with the 2 cars you commute with now.

Audi gives you a credit toward the home charger install, I think $500? The cost will depend on your electrician and location I imagine
21.gif

Audi gassers are similarly priced. This unit is $109K (MSRP, we'll see what the actual pricing looks like) but the Progressiv is $94, which is very much in-line with the MSRP on my current Jeep or a Q7.

$109K....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........are we talking Canadian dollars here?

So, finally decided to take one of these out, as I've been obsessing about the idea of one since I saw the poster for it in San Francisco. Comically, the one I drove was identical to the one on the billboard
lol.gif

Unit I took out was the dealer demo, it's a fully loaded Technik model, looked like this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Unless it's an amazing deal, I'd probably only consider the Progressiv, as it's more reasonably priced.

Now, I'll preface this with the fact I've never driven a Model 3. I have however driven a Model S (and posted the review on here) and so I'm familiar with that car and that's my electric car reference.

Compared to the Model S, the E-Tron is far less spartan inside. It's a lot like what you'd expect in a traditional SUV with some tweaks. The controls for the HVAC and stuff are touch with tactile feedback like the home button on an iPhone 8. The Nav interface is in the cluster and this model had HUD, which was quite nice. It is typical Audi: Everything lines up and is put together extremely well, the materials choice is excellent, panel alignment is excellent...etc.

The unit I took out had not been charged and had 168Km of range on it when I got in. We took it a few kilometres down the 401 and then back through town (Oshawa). Acceleration was excellent at highway speed, the ride was a very good balance of compliance and control; it felt extremely competent. The mirrors were good, as was visibility. My wife was weirded out by the lack of sound and gear shifting (she's never been in an EV).

I must say, I'm quite smitten with the vehicle, moreso than I thought I'd be. We are a two car family and with the amount of driving in town we do, an EV potentially makes sense as the 2nd vehicle to complement the truck, which would be the logical choice for longer trips, towing...etc. An EV would save me $400 a month in gasoline and would cost roughly $30 month in electricity at current off-peak prices.

My electricity is a moot point with solar, and it would save me a fair bit as well, driving roughly 2-2500mi/month. I need 800mi highway published/rated range before I'm willing to buy one, though. It should be capable of a real road trip.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
There is a new innovation that can be used for longer trips. I think it's called "car rental" or something like that, not sure.

Audi has such a thing in SF/LA - it's called Silvercar. Honda is offering an Acura or Accord Touring/Pilot Touring loaner for long trips with the purchase/lease of a Clarity FCHV.

And I thought the E-Tron was Audi's plug-in hybrid or extended-range BEV like a Volt or BMW i3/i8? I know someone who just got one.

Last edited:
I had read years ago that Audi was thinking about a Volt type setup with a small rotary engine in the trunk to generate electricity when needed.

Assuming M3 Performance will cost less than C$95K *and* you really do not need SUV, you have to try M3P before you pull the trigger on the Audi. And if you test drive, get it for extended overnight checkout aka take it out when they close and return it back before they open.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The only problem with EVs today: They are like Cell Phones 5-7 years ago. Just wait a bit longer and get something dramatically better. When they get to where phones are now, where they cannot really innovate much beyond adding a 3rd camera and a larger battery you know its time to buy.

Yes, EVs are evolving. Early adopters, like me, are also paying a premium. Our Model 3 is cheaper now, and is less than 1 year old.
A major EV technology shift is tougher. For example, the 7 year old Model S offers far better range than any EV on the market today at any price.
Battery technology, including charging rates and times, are being explored. When better battery technology is realized is hard to say.
The Tesla Roadster claims 600 mile range; perhaps there is something coming.

If you can charge at home, and if you have a second car for longer trips, you just might love an EV.
I have zero regrets on our car, and it wasn't cheap.
Overkill is smitten over this beautiful E-Tron.
I can tell you, after 1 year, our Model 3 puts a huge smile on our faces; I expect Overkill to report the same a year from now.

Tesla dominates because of their aerodynamics. Battery tech will advance over time. Tesla shows improvement in build quality year after year. They nailed engineering, software, aero, many things, but they still are a long ways behind seasoned car manufacturers in regards to interiors, paint, ect. I am guessing a year or two after the Model Y comes out they will be much better yet again.

Tesla is for all intents and purposes is a tech company and run very much like a startup. They just so happen to build cars instead of apps.

Toyota did own a small stake in Tesla but the two are incompatible - one is an old school conservative Japanese company that mastered lean production and logistics and the other uses the Agile or SCRUM methodology to build cars.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Pelican

Depending on what electric setup you have and what you want, a home charging install can be big bucks.
Tesla Wall Charger is $500 plus tax (not needed unless you want top of the line).
220 plug works for most people with the included cable.
110 is like 5 mph; forget it unless you hardly use the car.
You might have to add capacity to your service box.
The wire is expensive; running the wire to your garage is expensive.
Less if your service box is in the garage, of course.

I would expect a dedicated line to my garage and a wall charger would run $1200 minimum.
And our house is tiny compared to most. I do have room for the breaker in the service box.
There is no free ride...

Provided we don't move, it would be like 2ft of wire to bring a higher output plug to outside my house where we used to plug in the diesel. I can't see it being that expensive
21.gif

Originally Posted by blueglide88
Originally Posted by Audios
How much does the charging station install cost? Ive always wondered this when thinking about if electric cars would make sense for me. Also, how much more is this compared to a comparable gasser Audi suv? that 400$ a month in gas may balance out, especially with the 2 cars you commute with now.

21.gif

Audi gassers are similarly priced. This unit is $109K (MSRP, we'll see what the actual pricing looks like) but the Progressiv is $94, which is very much in-line with the MSRP on my current Jeep or a Q7.

$109K....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........are we talking Canadian dollars here?

Yes, lol

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Alfred_B

Audi has such a thing in SF/LA - it's called Silvercar. Honda is offering an Acura or Accord Touring/Pilot Touring loaner for long trips with the purchase/lease of a Clarity FCHV.

And I thought the E-Tron was Audi's plug-in hybrid or extended-range BEV like a Volt or BMW i3/i8? I know someone who just got one.

There is an A3 E-Tron that is a plug-in hybrid, the vehicle just labelled "E-Tron" is the SUV that's a straight-up BEV.

Originally Posted by Vikas
Assuming M3 Performance will cost less than C$95K *and* you really do not need SUV, you have to try M3P before you pull the trigger on the Audi. And if you test drive, get it for extended overnight checkout aka take it out when they close and return it back before they open.

Definitely would want another SUV.

Tesla dominates because of their aerodynamics. Battery tech will advance over time. Tesla shows improvement in build quality year after year. They nailed engineering, software, aero, many things, but they still are a long ways behind seasoned car manufacturers in regards to interiors, paint, ect. I am guessing a year or two after the Model Y comes out they will be much better yet again.

Tesla is far ahead of the competition in EV technology.
An entry level Model 3 has better range than any other manufacturer's EV, which is surprising given the engineering might of great car manufacturers like Audi, Porsche, BMW and (perhaps) Jaguar.
I am surprised the German teams did not deliver a more competitive product from an EV standpoint.
"Over time" - The Model S came out in 2012 and has better range than the latest EVs at any price.
Range has not increased significantly since then.

From a fit and finish standpoint the German cars are simply fantastic.

Tesla continues to make a huge investment in charging infrastructure.
Battery technology will continue to evolve, but probably no major improvements any time soon. Charging infrastructure is key.

Other manufacturers seem to be using EV drivetrain in their ICE cars.
Tesla makes futuristic cars; look at the minimalist dash of the Model 3 as compared to the Taycan.
My GS350 F Sport's dash seems overly complicated in comparison. And Lexus is known for their interiors.
Auto Pilot and over the air updates?

Of course Tesla Taycan and Audi are playing to different buyers.
Tesla just might focus on the $50 to $60K cars (Model 3 and Y, pickups) instead of the $100K cars.
I think the Model S and X are due for an update...

I am sure Overkill will flat out love his beautiful Audi.
Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

Provided we don't move, it would be like 2ft of wire to bring a higher output plug to outside my house where we used to plug in the diesel. I can't see it being that expensive
21.gif

Having a dedicated power line already is a huge benefit.
I have to run a 60A breaker and #6 wire from the service box to the garage, 20' to 30'.
While a Wall Charger is not necessary, that adds $500. Might as well go all the way, right?

There is an A3 E-Tron that is a plug-in hybrid, the vehicle just labelled "E-Tron" is the SUV that's a straight-up BEV.

That's the one a friend bought. He wanted the Subaru Crosstrek PHEV, but it turned out the dealer was going to hold him hostage on the lease(he's fine with the financial side of things but the logistics of such) and the cargo bay was smaller than he was expecting for their dog.

He's happy with the A3 E-Tron.

Originally Posted by nthach

That's the one a friend bought. He wanted the Subaru Crosstrek PHEV, but it turned out the dealer was going to hold him hostage on the lease(he's fine with the financial side of things but the logistics of such) and the cargo bay was smaller than he was expecting for their dog.

He's happy with the A3 E-Tron.

Great to hear!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back