TFL Truck testing Rotella Gas Truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by 4WD
Once you put Rotella on a bottle … even their own PUP is now chopped liver with the Tribol leaders.

It's crazy how much of a cult following Rotella has.

I don't care about the oil, I just wanted to join a new cult.

I conjured up a VOA:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They opted for Polaris to keep it independent.

I'm curious too. That test was extreme in a more high temp/high rpm way compared to short, frequent cold start way. I find the latter more severe. I want to see the wear metals and viscosity.

How many miles are on the oil do we know?

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I think it's great that Shell will be doing a UOA and letting us know what the results are
grin2.gif

I agree. LOL Interesting test. My bet is the oil does fine, in fact I'll guarantee it.
wink.gif

On paper, M1 TSUV looks very similar to Rotella Gas Truck. Now that M1 TSUV is D1G2 certified, I'd like to see a comparison between these two products. The M1 is using a good slug of PAO (I believe 30-40%). Still haven't seen a VOA yet of the M1 TSUV.

Mobil 1 5w30 TSUV poa contain % ? Search for sds on Mobil 1 website but can not find any this for this product

Originally Posted by Toh1
Mobil 1 5w30 TSUV poa contain % ? Search for sds on Mobil 1 website but can not find any this for this product

You have to go through the XOM site.

Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(s) required for disclosure Name CAS# Concentration*
GHS Hazard Codes
1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 20 - < 30% H304
2-PENTANOL,
4-METHYL-, HYDROGEN PHOSPHORODITHIOATE, ZINC SALT 2215-35-2 0.1 - < 1% H303, H315, H318, H401, H411 PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID, MIXED 0,0 BIS (1,3DIMETHYLBUTYL AND ISO-PR)ESTERS, ZINC SALTS 84605-29-8 0.1 - < 1% H303, H315, H318, H401,

This test reminds of a test a particular company did a few years back. Simulate 1600-pounds of weight and a 7% incline. Vehicles were run at 75 miles per hour until engine failure.

Results are at the end. The oil held up as expected. Fe was 30ppm, viscosity was 20 grade and the Tbn was 3. Oxidation was normal.

Iron was a bit high. Not awful though. Considering it was severe duty (towing, high RPM, high loads, etc.) it did very well. This engine has 22 ppm as the average (Blackstone).
Viscosity was very flat, great results.

Originally Posted by paoester
Iron was a bit high. Not awful though. Considering it was severe duty (towing, high RPM, high loads, etc.) it did very well. This engine has 22 ppm as the average (Blackstone).

I think so too. It was a torture test. They said the truck was new so the Cu will trend down. I don't know how many miles the truck had when they started it. I'd be happy with those results.

They should have sent a sample also to Blackstone for an unbiased evalution.

When they got "cut off" by the mini van they were in the left lane so they are the blame for that!

Loving that RAM and it did great under those tough conditions.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
They should have sent a sample also to Blackstone for an unbiased evalution.

When they got "cut off" by the mini van they were in the left lane so they are the blame for that!

Loving that RAM and it did great under those tough conditions.

It was sent to Polaris for the unbiased opinion.

I missed it: How many miles were on the analysis?

Seems like the oil held up fine, which isn't at all surprising unless they went a whole lot further than I thought.

At the 6:58 point in the video is where you hear the Rotella Gas Truck claim they have "more antioxidants". I assume "more" could mean 1% "more". Seems like QSUD or Mobil1 would have enough antioxidants already.

I just saw a brief Mount Evans shot in the video! That one is a high "14-teener" mountain about an hour or so outside of Denver, easy drive to it on I-70, nice, average baro only 8.84 psi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back