Polaris vs Oil Analyzers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand they're both essentially the same lab/company, so are the UOA results the same, regardless which one you order from? Is the pricing different?

While I know how to order a test kit from Oil Analyzers, I haven't been able to figure out how to order it from Polaris. Can't seem to be able to set up an account with Polaris. Is Polaris only for business customers?

Polaris's online stuff has serious UX issues. Everything works great; it's just not user-friendly by current standards. I can't remember how I signed up last year, but I remember it was a slightly weird process and I'm pretty sure they've made it more difficult since then. I'd call or email them.

For reasons I can't fathom, they moved their pricing behind their registration wall. I just logged in and screen-grabbed it for you:
[Linked Image]

They used to have a nice table summarizing their different engine test packages and which tests each one contained. I can't find that, but I did find this page on their website: https://polarislabs.com/engine-specific-test-packages-basic-vs-advanced/

The "Advanced Engine Plus" package is the "Advanced" package plus PQ index.

IMHO - Polaris is "THE" lab behind Oil Analyzers (Horizon). I buy my Oil Analyzer kits (KIT06-EA) from Amsoil for $20.50 each and usually grab a few when buying other items when Amsoil offers free shipping. The shipping address to send the kits for analysis (I use the Houston lab) is the same as the address that Polaris lists on the ISO accreditation for the Houston lab on their website (https://polarislabs.com/polaris/our-promise/)

I have not done a oil test yet but researching the options. As far as I have explored the lab and the individual analysis of results are two separate company except for Blackstone. Dyson uses TestOil and can give you an upgrade on the testing and equipment done at your cost (ie. advanced analysis) at that company but he does the analysis of the test. Oil analysis uses Polaris/Horizon labs and a nice thing is they have 5 labs, 4 in US that you can send the sample to. Seems with 3 labs you can weed out one that is not as accurate, maybe the test equipment is not up to date.

2015_PSD... What is the trick to the $20.50 price? (Vs. $24.60) for Oil Analyzers (Amsoil)

I see from another post that if you want the "advanced tests" you need to ask for "report clarification"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Which package includes coolant presence testing?

They all include water, Na, and K numbers. Do you need more than that?

Polaris is an excellent lab (I use them) but as mentioned above it is primarily aimed at fleet/industrial customers with large numbers of samples and reporting needs (the report system is pretty clunky until you get used to it). Good news is there are a TON of other programs (OE's to lube providers) that all use Polaris as 'their' lab. I did some blind testing for an outside fleet last year where we sent identical samples to various different labs....all I will say is the guys who make the big yellow buldozers are not very good or consistent at oil analysis.

Originally Posted by Bill_W
2015_PSD... What is the trick to the $20.50 price? (Vs. $24.60) for Oil Analyzers (Amsoil)
You have to be a preferred member (about $20 per year).

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I only use Polaris / OAI. Cheaper than Blackstone and more consistent results.

01.gif

I understand they're both essentially the same lab/company, so are the UOA results the same, regardless which one you order from? Is the pricing different?

While I know how to order a test kit from Oil Analyzers, I haven't been able to figure out how to order it from Polaris. Can't seem to be able to set up an account with Polaris. Is Polaris only for business customers?

Polaris will private label their oil test if you pay enough. That is what OAI did. Same exact testing. And Polaris is good. But pricing wise it only makes sense to buy a 10 pack from Polaris. I have gotten other BITOG members to split a 10 pack before.

But I find NAPA at $16 to be just as good and I can pick up the test kit at a local NAPA (they may need to order it).

All of these are less expensive than Blackstone and have TAN/TBN included.

Originally Posted by Donald
But I find NAPA at $16 to be just as good and I can pick up the test kit at a local NAPA (they may need to order it).
It's even cheaper if you order the WIX-branded version from Amazon. About $12 currently.

All of these are less expensive than Blackstone and have TAN/TBN included.

I've looked at a number of these NAPA/WIX reports, and haven't seen TAN reported on any of them. They also don't seem to test for fuel presence, unless I missed it.

It's even cheaper if you order the WIX-branded version from Amazon. About $12 currently
Grab them from Rock Auto for $9.48:

WIX UOA Kit

And Polaris' Salt Lake City lab has the same address as the Salt Lake City address for my OAI UOA that I sent in, so they must be the same labs. That's good, as I have heard good things about Polaris.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
IMHO - Polaris is "THE" lab behind Oil Analyzers (Horizon). I buy my Oil Analyzer kits (KIT06-EA) from Amsoil for $20.50 each and usually grab a few when buying other items when Amsoil offers free shipping. The shipping address to send the kits for analysis (I use the Houston lab) is the same as the address that Polaris lists on the ISO accreditation for the Houston lab on their website (https://polarislabs.com/polaris/our-promise/)

It's even cheaper if you order the WIX-branded version from Amazon. About $12 currently

WIX UOA Kit

Great point 2015_PSD
smile.gif

NAPA and WIX are typically ALS Tribology and they are "ok", but IMHO they are not as good as Polaris. I had issues with them switching samples and not reading the sample submission information when I changed oil brands to update the system. Below is what you will typically receive for a $9.48 WIX UOA kit from RockAuto. It contains nearly everything needed for a gasoline or diesel engine except for:

Soot
Fuel Dilution

For the average Joe (myself included), it is hard to argue the value for the price.

[Linked Image from iili.io]

WIX UOA Kit

Amazon has free shipping, so final price is the same as Rock Auto.

WIX UOA Kit

Amazon has free shipping, so final price is the same as Rock Auto.

And unlike Rockauto, I'll get the kit tomorrow, not a week from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back