Looking to replace some copper piping to PEX. Pros and Cons?

More inputs. Thanks. Good to hear most have had good results with PEX. That would be the easiest for me.

No 1: PEX has been used in Europe for years.
No 2: PEX can be made in a variety of ways (PEX-a,b,c) and each have different characteristics which makes them suitable or unsuitable for residential plumbing.
No 3: Always use the fittings suggested by the manufacturer of the PEX. Using other fittings is the most common reason for a connection failure.

Originally Posted by andyd
I have a 25' run of some grey plastic (PEX?) It is pushing 30 yrs old. It was easy going in a 2' crawl space. I was working for a plumber at the time as a laborer. . I should have been paying him for the stuff I learned He gave the PEX , the fittings and the use of the crimper.
grin2.gif

Probably polybutylene

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.polybutylene.com/poly.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjQoLfI-f7kAhXmguAKHZLxDp8QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1V1u2QzVkwNTZfroSjQwIA

Last edited:
I repaired a leak under my house with PEX line and sharkbite fittings several years ago and it's still fine.

I went that route because even though I shut the main water supply to the house and it's only a one level 1500 square ft house, I still had water dripping out of where I cut the bad copper fitting out five days later. I knew I couldn't sweat and solder a new fitting in with water in the line so I said screw it and used the PEX and sharkbite fittings. That made the repair easy.

Originally Posted by BubbaFL
For a small job like that, forget the crimp rings and tools. Buy some Sharkbite fittings. Much easier for a small job than screwing with pex crimpers, CPVC glue, or soldering copper. They also make it super-easy to connect pex to your existing copper.

Those Sharkbites work good - I helped a friend redo some leaky PEX fittings on her trailer from an unregulated water supply. The local plumbing supply houses are pushing Viega or Uponor PEX systems.

PEX seems to be the choice of plumbers in my area who are retrofitting houses that were plumbed with galvanized pipe. Press-crimp copper is now becoming popular for commercial installs.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Built a house in 2017 and used Uponor PEX throughout for my cold/hot water supply in my crawl spaces via my plumbing contractor who had extensive experience with this product.
I've been very pleased with the results and would recommend anyone building today to check out the Uponor products and talk to several experienced plumbers and plumbing contractors to get their take. The Uponor system does not use the steel clamps with a crimping tool. They have a much better system IMHO.

I will say, sloppy work can/will defeat the best products (regardless of PEX, copper, CPVC, etc.) so the biggest bang for your buck will be in getting whatever system/product you use installed correctly.

Uponor PEX is a fantastic and a very solid system, too bad it isn't sold in the big box stores and most DIYers don't know about it.

Before making a decision I would try to find a copy of the plumbing code for your area and read, read, read very carefully any wording about Pex. You can trust the code’s list of approved materials which may also specify the type of Pex (the thickness) and the fittings.
I suspect you will find what Bmwturbodzl said, mainly make sure you use the entire “system” as designed by the manufacturer.
For sure you don’t want to skimp on the materials since it is in a concealed area......

Back