Purchased Hyundai Tucson Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the trigger on a used 26k mile Tucson Limited today. Picking it up tomorrow.

It's a black on black unit with the 1.6T and the 7speed DCT AWD.

Planning to change the rear diff fluid, transfer case fluid, and DCT fluid in the next week or so.

Will update with photos soon. I'll link to listing below.

Tucson

Last edited:
hyundai as well as kia come a long way + their vehicles are a great value. my girlfriends preowned 18 optima is way better overall than the oil drinking 13 malibu 2.5 she dumped, no oil used so far unlike the malibu that took oil from new, bought new!!

I'll be interested to hear how you like the dual clutch. It seems like most of them are either jerky at slow speeds (ex: Ford) or they are good but require quite a bit of maintenance (ex: VW).

I drove one could hardly notice it was dct.

What kind of deal did you get 18k?

Originally Posted by Rand

I could Hardly tell it was a DCT as well. I test drove it twice at 6pm in a busy part of the city to ensure it wouldn't be an issue. It felt like a normal auto with faster shifts.

Yes, I got it for 18.4k + TTL. Was pushing for 19k OTD for a week or so. Settled at a little north of there due to it being the right color, right history, new tires. That made it one of the cheaper limited models in a 500mi radius.

Carfax shows all services up to date. I called the dealer that they were performed at and service advisor there walked me through it's serviec history and recall update history over the phone, as well as informed me they used QS Semi-Syn 5w30 at every change.

I was satisfied with the detailed history. The dealer had also put brand new tires on it a few months ago when they got it in stock. So the tires have less than 500mi on them which to me made it worth $500 more than the other 20-30k mile units I was bargaining with that had 1/2 worn tires for the same price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by glock19
I'll be interested to hear how you like the dual clutch. It seems like most of them are either jerky at slow speeds (ex: Ford) or they are good but require quite a bit of maintenance (ex: VW).

They are when new, and are till the clutch is broken in. Also I don't know if the 2016 Tuscon has a intake resonator, but that also helps.

https://www.sxthelement.com/Intercooler-Resonator-Delete-Pipe-p/00-01-102.htm

Here are pictures from the Kona 1.6T on the Kona forum that is right up top of the motor. The Veloster is under the rear of the motor. It might be the early Tucson doesn't have one or it too, has in under the back of the motor. I don't know. This does get rid of 80-90% of the "stumble" I had on my Kona, and adds about 3-4 hp. It is up to the poster if he wants to find if the 2016 Tuscon has this intake muffler resonator. Why they have it I could not tell you .....I heard zero increase in noise without it.

The early Tuscon's had DCT software issues that were fixed with an update for most of them, but there a few "fluky" out outliers.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/threads/intake-resonator-install.2578/#post-23116

The 7-sp DCT had some teething problems in that year, the Tuscon was one of the problem vehicles. Hyundai quietly issued a TSB to address the issue, then eventually a class action lawsuit resulted from it, pretty sure it progressed to a recall at that point. It sounds like you did your due diligence in making sure these things were taken care of at the dealer, but if you ever have issues with the DCT that might be something to check.

Nice looking ride and a good deal! Hope you enjoy it.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by Rand

I could Hardly tell it was a DCT as well. I test drove it twice at 6pm in a busy part of the city to ensure it wouldn't be an issue. It felt like a normal auto with faster shifts.

Yes, I got it for 18.4k + TTL. Was pushing for 19k OTD for a week or so. Settled at a little north of there due to it being the right color, right history, new tires. That made it one of the cheaper limited models in a 500mi radius.

Carfax shows all services up to date. I called the dealer that they were performed at and service advisor there walked me through it's serviec history and recall update history over the phone, as well as informed me they used QS Semi-Syn 5w30 at every change.

I was satisfied with the detailed history. The dealer had also put brand new tires on it a few months ago when they got it in stock. So the tires have less than 500mi on them which to me made it worth $500 more than the other 20-30k mile units I was bargaining with that had 1/2 worn tires for the same price.

As far as over heat problems in traffic....then you go into manual mode and stay in 1st gear and use high 1st gear engine rpm instead of letting the DCT have "multiple" DCT shifting events going 1st -3rd on every start and stop event in heavy traffic. You also let space in front of you, you don't want to keep inching forward every time a car infront of you moves 1 car length. I sometimes let 6 car lengths before I move. If a car moves in and takes a spot .....who cares.

Originally Posted by Mainia
As far as over heat problems in traffic....then you go into manual mode and stay in 1st gear and use high 1st gear engine rpm instead of letting the DCT have "multiple" DCT shifting events going 1st -3rd on every start and stop event in heavy traffic. You also let space in front of you, you don't want to keep inching forward every time a car infront of you moves 1 car length. I sometimes let 6 car lengths before I move. If a car moves in and takes a spot .....who cares.

If you let 6 car lengths before you decide to move, in traffic that's that busy, then you sir are a nuisance. That's completely unnecessary, and slowing down the entire flow of traffic just to "save" your transmission. If the manufacturer can't design a transmission that won't overheat in some of the worst traffic in the worst conditions (think 4pm in Houston on a Tuesday, in July) then they have no business selling it to the public.

It's an automated manual, I suppose you drive it like it wants to be driven. I thinks its worth it to deep 6 the power sapping torque converter. This makes small displacement engines acceptable with a automated box. But, people are to stupid to learn how to drive or expect too much for their own selfish comforts. Machines need a proper human interface.

My experience was with the much derided Fiesta as a rental. It was great. And a great, enjoyable small car. Doesn't look like it would
be, but it is. Much Better subcompact than the Mazda 2 or Yaris or Honda Fit or Nissan Vera (garbage can).

IN my MT car I always leave a few car lengths in front of me and just idle in 1st gear so I don't have to constantly de clutch.
The VW ECU automatically adjust throttle for antistall. It will even pull up may steep 150' driveway! Interesting and innovative.

Never seen this before. IN reversing you don't have to give it any throttle at all, just slip the clutch a bit and it will maintain 1000 or so rpm. If you are not in a rush you can do the same in 1st gear whilst puttering about the "Mall" parking lot.

Last edited:
Agreed,

It never seemed like an issue for me. I've driven VW DSG cars (my brother owned a CC) and the Hyundai unit seemed very similar in its mannerisms.

I've driven manuals my whole life, so for me it won't be hard to drive it similar to one at stop and start. My wife will learn to adjust.

Congrats. I've recently been in late model Santa Fe and Tucson. I was impressed with both. I would have never considered a Hyundai or Kia in the past, but would definitely consider both if l was in the market for a new vehicle.
Everyone l know that has one seems to be happy with them.

Originally Posted by Joe1
Congrats. I've recently been in late model Santa Fe and Tucson. I was impressed with both. I would have never considered a Hyundai or Kia in the past, but would definitely consider both if l was in the market for a new vehicle.
Everyone l know that has one seems to be happy with them.

There are many on BITOG who don't want to hear that. However-As an owner (and I could well afford the Toyo/Honda SUV/CUVs). I decided to purchase a new Hyundai Santa Fe XL in 2017. Almost 28,000 miles and no issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back