Need Recommendations for 30” Gas Cooktop and Exhaust Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiancée and I bought a new house. The gas cooktop is currently not operational and we want to use the opportunity to upgrade.

We do a lot of Chinese wok-style cooking and want to make sure that our new gas cooktop will allow us to maximize the performance of wok-style cooking. Similarly, we want a powerful exhaust fan for the same reasons.

A few folks have recommended a Blue Star range and a Pacific Trusteam exhaust fan.

Any recommendations? We plan to be in this house for decades so quality and performance are things we are willing to pay for.

I think you probably want one that vents outside. Usually the big box stores don't have them, you'd have to go to one of those smaller stores that specialize in that kind of thing to find a good one.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I think you probably want one that vents outside. Usually the big box stores don't have them, you'd have to go to one of those smaller stores that specialize in that kind of thing to find a good one.

Most exhaust hoods can be used either way. There's an optional cover for the outside exhaust that routes the airflow out the top. If you have outside venting you flip the cover so that the outside vent is open and it will exhaust that direction.

Have it vented outside and you probably will not find any hood that will move enough air, out made in North America.That was my experience 10 years ago.

I had to go with a hood made in China because there they cook with a lot of spices and fry a lot so their exhaust must be able to handles smoke & odours well.

Amazing how I would recommend something made in China, but for this task that's what I do.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
You definitely want one that vents outside.

I would go for one that has a high CFM rating for when you suddenly start something smoking like crazy.
As well as a lower setting for normal cooking when you don't want all the fumes and humidity staying in the house.

I have this one

Last edited:
Might also consider an over the range microwave/hood.

save space.. usually have lights on them too.

home depot has them with 200,300,and 400cfm exhaust.

(400cfm seems like it would be plenty but I'm not an expert)

Whatever stove you get just make sure it has a power burner.. and if possible 2 burners. 1 in the back for the best hood efficiency(most have just 1 power burner in the front).. of course that can make it difficult for the wok to fit some of the larger ones will hit the stove panel (where timer is etc).

you want at least 18000btu on the power burner.

Originally Posted by Rand
Might also consider an over the range microwave/hood.

save space.. usually have lights on them too.

home depot has them with 200,300,and 400cfm exhaust.

(400cfm seems like it would be plenty but I'm not an expert)

Whatever stove you get just make sure it has a power burner.. and if possible 2 burners. 1 in the back for the best hood efficiency(most have just 1 power burner in the front).. of course that can make it difficult for the wok to fit some of the larger ones will hit the stove panel (where timer is etc).

you want at least 18000btu on the power burner.

Or just get an AGA stove. You never have to shut it off because it's always on. When you go on vacation you don't have to wonder whether you turned the stove off or not, you just leave it on.

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/ADC3GCLT.html

I think my current exhaust fan vents outside. When I move in later this month I will take a picture and post it up.

In the meantime I went ahead and ordered a 30" gas cooktop. I was debating between the 30" Samsung #NA30N7755TS and the 30" Bluestar, but I could not justify the price difference. Both units include at least one 22k burner. Two 22K burners on the Bluestar (with an open design) would have been preferred, but I don't think I can take full advantage of the benefit.

The Samsung was $1289 from Costco including a 7-yr warranty (Costco doubles the base warranty, then Squaretrade extends it from 2 yr to 5 years for $99, then the 2-yr citi warranty kicks in AFTER the squaretrade warranty ends) and the Bluestar is $1995. Consumer Reports also rated this particular Samsung model #1.

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-30-i...i-Fi-Connectivity.product.100465485.html

For the range, we went with a Pacific TruSteam SC88. My parents have a similar model and are very satisfied with their's. The cost of the SC88 was $739 installed which is less than 1/2 of a comparable Vent-A-Hood. The SC88 puts out 900 cfm on a 7" exhaust duct; most vents of this power require a 8".

Here is a short video clip of the SC88 running on its max setting:

https://youtu.be/D-KzV6Jzxqg

And a clip of the Samsung Range on its max setting:

https://youtu.be/Evdijb0fmc0

Here is a picture of the finished setup:

677D668E-6074-4919-91C8-29729E7AA59D.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back