Toyota Highlander Hybrid or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a Toyota Highlander. 2009 +

I watched Car Angel as he sang praises on the Hybrid. I have always been again hybrids. Should I stay against hybrids?

How often do you have to be concerned about the hybrid battery?

Any other issues to look for?

I'm YouTubing and Googling now...

They will all need a battery replacement at some point. Typically the failures start after 10/150K.

Unfortunately the Highlander batteries are probably the most expensive ones on the market.

I took the 2006 in my sig to my mechanic a few months ago. He told me he and his son (who works there) have never had to replace a Toyota hybrid battery. So they are fairly long lasting. I've owned it a few months, and driven it some 9000 miles, and never had a problem, but of course that is a small fraction of its life. This particular Hihy has meticulous maintenance records, and the engine model (3MZ-FE) is very reliable.

I would look at how long you want to keep it.

Quite frankly, I was looking at a CRV when this fell into my lap. If I were to crash it tomorrow, I'd look for a CRV to replace it. Of course YMMV.

paulri,

Why your affection for the CRV over the Highlander?

I'd look at how much you'd save in gas, and if it'd pay for the battery. As in, how long will you own, and how many miles per year? Wondering if it truly pays for itself. MPG differential between this and something else? Not sure what your needs vs wants are, just so as to appropriately play devil's advocate here.

AWD? I was looking at Highlanders recently, but older ones, and saw mention that the AWD hybrid versions had an electric motor for the rear wheels. Fine for typical usage but overheating was noted for any offroad usage. Tossing that out there for something else to look into.

supton,

I'm not so concerned about gas savings. More concerned about long term 300K reliability. Maybe I answered my own question.

Sorta goofy to save now and pay later, LOL.

I have only driven one hybrid in my lifetime and that was on vacation in a Prius probably 6 years ago.

Last edited:
The CRV is smaller, and gets better MPG than the ICE Highlander. I only need this vehicle for being my DD. If you meant the hybrid highlander, the CRV doesn't have a hybrid battery that will give way at some point.

When I was looking at C-RVs, I avoided the ones made after 2014 or 2015; around that time they introduced the CVT and also the 1.5L turbo; figured I'd save myself a potential repair at some point down the line. Given that you are mentioning 300K reliability, I'd definitely look at a ICE model of whatever you want in a Highlander hybrid. I only bought this one because I was very leery of buying used cars from strangers, and this one had a great history & records to prove it from a family member.

Originally Posted by Gebo
paulri,

Why your affection for the CRV over the Highlander?

Last edited:
1st of all unless you live in a big city with heavy traffic, you'll never recoup the additional cost in fuel savings. or maybe any savings at all.
2nd Hybrids & plug-ins are are going to be replaced by fuel cell vehicles, probably hydrogen, that can be refuelled as we do today, from pumps.
Toyota already has them in California.
Hybrids have been oversold in real life and make sense only for people in big cities.

Point taken.

I was staying away from CRV's because I thought they all had CVT transmissions. What was the last year they had regular transmissions?

How much MPG gain do you get with a 2009 Hybrid? Is the battery near its lifespan at 10 years? Seems like the future is one or the other.

Some time around 2014 or 2015, they got the CVT, and then a year before or after, they got the 1.5L turbo. I don't recall exactly when.

Point taken.

I was staying away from CRV's because I thought they all had CVT transmissions. What was the last year they had regular transmissions?

supton,

I'm not so concerned about gas savings. More concerned about long term 300K reliability. Maybe I answered my own question.

Sorta goofy to save now and pay later, LOL.

I have only driven one hybrid in my lifetime and that was on vacation in a Prius probably 6 years ago.

Yeah, I think you might have. I'd still run the numbers and verify it.

I still find it hard to run a vehicle up to high miles, seems like my needs (let alone wants) change every 5 years or so.

I'm good now. Gonna go for a regular Highlander.

Thanks for helping me get my head back on straight.

From everything I read and experience, temperature has a big impact on battery life. People in places like Phoenix and Dallas have real problems. Cooler climates not so much.

I think it boils down to personal preference and how much city driving you do. Most people pretty much breakeven. Depending on your personality, there is something to be said for entertainment value and I find my Mom's C-Max to be very quiet and relaxing to drive.

Whether a Hybrid pays off depends on driving conditions and also the purchase price difference. Many hybrids use Atkinson cycle engines, which are slightly more efficient. Toyota hybrids usually last 250K+ mile. But the best use is in start and stop urban traffic.

The RAV4 hybrid costs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back