stuck blinker

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Hyundai Tiburon's blinker began staying on today. When using the right turn signal, the blinker flashes as normal but when I turn it off or it automatically returns from steering wheel movement, if the blinker was illuminated at the time the light stays on. When it stays on it is not blinking but is solid. The light on the dash also stays lit and solid when it is stuck on. When I land it on the non illuminated part of the blinking cycle it stays off. Do any of y'all know the fix for this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Change the blinker fluid.

That was my very first thought... Lack of lubrication.
Trolling.gif

Note it also skips blinks and stays solid. Where there is the tick that matches to the blink, there will be 3 or 4 regular blinks then it will skip turning off for 1 or 2 then work again.

Flasher under the dash. Had this happen and that was the fix on both of our old Cavaliers. Older ones are literally a little strip of metal that heats and cools as current flows through them so they wear out over time. New ones are solid state and should last longer.

It would appear as though the flasher is attached to the Body Control Module in this car. I feel as though I'm a bit in over my head on this one. It would appear as though some people take theirs apart and re solder a new flasher in there but im not sure if that is something I should pursue.

Last edited:
Many newer cars don't have a traditional turn signal flasher and this is done entirely in the body control computer module. The clicking sound you hear is produced by a speaker.

Originally Posted by wag123
Many newer cars don't have a traditional turn signal flasher and this is done entirely in the body control computer module. The clicking sound you hear is produced by a speaker.

And they also use LEDs too - which don't need a traditional flasher as well. All that is controlled in code and solid-state relays.

I'd check the bulbs first. Even being a watt off or mixing Euro bulbs with SAE/DOT ones is enough to make your blinkers go bonkers. Then work up to checking the flasher relay and the switch. Then start investigating the wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back