Interesting video: Why buy a 9mm Conversion barrel for the Glock 40 Caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about the Storm Lake for years but haven't bit yet. I don't shoot 40 much but still have ammo and components so I still keep it as a G23. I already have 2 G19's so I don't really need another.

I'm thinking of a 10mm barrel for my G21 too, that would be fun!

I think conversion barrels are a waste of money. I'd rather just throw in a bit more and get another gun. I can buy 9mm Glocks for $325-$350 all day long. Used of course.

Its a cool idea, but I have a 22RTF2, a 17RTF2, and a 17OD so it wouldn't make much sense. Plus I went crazy buying .40S&W a few years ago so I have plenty.

I agree. 9 mm although seems to be flavor of the month it's such a waste of money to build a Glock v.s just buy a used one. So many people buy Glocks just to have the latest and greatest that you can buy a Gen 2 or Gen 3 pretty [censored] reasonable. I think the Gen. 3 is the best and I have them all.
I built a .357 Sig from Glock parts and had about 2x what I would have had in just buying a used one.
Don't get caught in that game, Glock parts are expensive and after market parts are not as reliable.

For a Glock no. But my friend bought a new .40 S&W shield 2.0 new that was much cheaper than the identical 9 it was crazy cheap. Like $269 shipped, and then got a used almost new 9 barrel for peanuts and now has both calibers for less than the price of just the nine. It might have even been $259 I never liked the .40 platform but was sorely tempted myself. He actually bought 2 at that price and kept the other one NIB.

I bought a 9 mm barrel for a glock 27 and have not looked back. Glock is not my favorite pistol but I must admit that changeover was a breeze. Would recommend for anyone considering doing this.

Originally Posted by wdn
For a Glock no. But my friend bought a new .40 S&W shield 2.0 new that was much cheaper than the identical 9 it was crazy cheap. Like $269 shipped, and then got a used almost new 9 barrel for peanuts and now has both calibers for less than the price of just the nine. It might have even been $259 I never liked the .40 platform but was sorely tempted myself. He actually bought 2 at that price and kept the other one NIB.

Don't you need new magazines as well?

The .40S&W was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. The only thing that it does more than the 9mm is cost more and have more recoil.

Originally Posted by JasonC
The .40S&W was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. The only thing that it does more than the 9mm is cost more and have more recoil.

Eh, that's the conventional wisdom. But .40 is a more powerful, larger round, with a lot of bullet weights offered. Plus, it gave rise to one of my favorite calibers - .357 SIG.

The .40 has never had better real world ballistics than the 9mm. It's named .40 Short and Weak for a reason. The 10mm now is another story and a fantastic round. Agreed, the .357 round is probably the ultimate 9mm Magnum round.

quote=john_pifer]

Eh, that's the conventional wisdom. But .40 is a more powerful, larger round, with a lot of bullet weights offered. Plus, it gave rise to one of my favorite calibers - .357 SIG.
[/quote]

The .40 has never had better real world ballistics than the 9mm. It's named .40 Short and Weak for a reason. The 10mm now is another story and a fantastic round. Agreed, the .357 round is probably the ultimate 9mm Magnum round.

quote=john_pifer]

[/quote]

It can be debated, but we won't get into the caliber wars here. They're both viable rounds, and, like it's been mentioned, exceptional deals can be had on .40 pistols.

Absolutely agreed on awesome deals for .40 pistols. Ammo has come down as well. If you are a .40 person now is the time to be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back