Recent Topics
New Fave way to remove snow from vehicles
by JC1 - 11/12/19 08:19 PM
Shying Away From Havoline 5w30
by Mr_Luke - 11/12/19 08:00 PM
New Way To Wash A Car
by buster - 11/12/19 07:52 PM
Sealed vs open bearings. What's better?
by motor_oil_madman - 11/12/19 07:51 PM
Wix WL10290XP CUT OPEN GM 22psi
by LotI - 11/12/19 07:04 PM
Do high beams make you angry?
by 1978elcamino - 11/12/19 06:46 PM
VALVOLINE V0-148 CUT OPEN
by 53' Stude - 11/12/19 06:38 PM
VW Jetta oil filter CUT OPEN
by 53' Stude - 11/12/19 06:31 PM
Turtle Wax Seal & Shine On Top of Ice or Vice-Versa ?
by Dwight_Frye - 11/12/19 06:10 PM
Timing Cover Leak in Toyota/Lexus
by Gebo - 11/12/19 05:10 PM
Anyone running only Malwarebytes for security
by Donald - 11/12/19 05:07 PM
104+ Fuel Injector Pro ?
by ChrisD46 - 11/12/19 04:55 PM
Mobil 1 FS 0w40 vs Castrol 0w40
by Ndx - 11/12/19 04:14 PM
How often to drive a second car.
by SouthDakotaDad - 11/12/19 03:48 PM
Manufacturers, Bypasses & Large Sumps
by ad244 - 11/12/19 03:23 PM
Samsung DeX for PC
by dogememe - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
2008 Acura TL Timing Belt/Component Kit
by BAJA_05 - 11/12/19 02:06 PM
Newest Members
Hombre909, DeLong, Scuder, Jasonrmcc, Capacc
69840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
118 registered members (2003f7, 14Accent, alchargo, Aichiguy, 2015_PSD, 92saturnsl2, 11 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics297,336
Posts5,113,318
Members69,840
Most Online3,589
Nov 2nd, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Nokian WRG4 #4941132 12/01/18 10:20 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 472
F
faramir9 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 472
Have not seen a review of these yet. Anyone have experience with them?


2005 Corolla LE, 1.8L
Valvoline Daily Protection 5w-20
Continental TrueContact 195/65R15


Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: faramir9] #4941156 12/01/18 11:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,985
S
slacktide_bitog Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,985
The WRG4 is still relatively new, so nobody has had a chance to drive them in the winter yet since the upcoming winter season will be the first winter that people drive the WRG4 through.

But the outgoing WRG3 should be almost as good, and the WRG3 reviews are probably relevant to the new WRG4 smile

Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: faramir9] #4941185 12/02/18 02:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 734
N
NO2 Offline
Offline
N
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 734
Consumer reports rated them in their tire issue. They were middle of the group tested. They are a winter biased all season tire.

Dry braking Good
Wet braking Fair
Handling Good
Hydroplaning Very Good
Snow traction Very Good
Ice braking Excellent
Ride comfort Very Good
Noise Very Good
Rolling resistance Good
Tested tread life (Miles) 60000
Highs Very good hydroplaning resistance, snow traction, and comfort. Excellent grip on ice.
Lows Fair wet stopping performance.
CRs Take Strong wintery grip in a tire that can be used all year long.


Last edited by NO2; 12/02/18 02:05 AM.
Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: NO2] #4941248 12/02/18 07:17 AM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 472
F
faramir9 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 472
Thanks for the CR ratings, NO2. I thought by now there would be a few professional reviews, but I guess they are waiting for winter.

I am toying with the idea of getting WRG4s this month, since my TrueContacts are wearing at a ridiculous rate for a "90K mile" tire. With 19K miles on them they are at 6/32" to 7/32". That's with rotations and alignment. A shame, since it's a mostly great tire otherwise. But I thought about replacing them while I can still get some value for them, and putting on WRG4s.

I had a good experience with the directional version of the WRG3 on a Saturn a few years ago, but some said the non-directional version had less-than-ideal winter grip for an all-weather tire with the snowflake-on-mountain symbol. Looks like all sizes of WRG4 are non-directional. I would like to hear from someone who drove them in winter weather, before dropping that much $$$ on them.


2005 Corolla LE, 1.8L
Valvoline Daily Protection 5w-20
Continental TrueContact 195/65R15


Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: faramir9] #4941404 12/02/18 10:02 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,201
J
JayhawkRoy Online Content
Online Content
J
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,201
I tried to purchase either WR G3 and WR G4 two weeks ago, at Discount Tire. The Nokian warehouse said WR G3's not available and discontinued. WR G4's will not be available in my area until Jan 2019. I didn't want to wait that long, so Nokian lost my business to another tire brand. YMMV.

Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: faramir9] #4941808 12/02/18 04:48 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,845
S
SubLGT Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,845

Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: faramir9] #4943510 12/04/18 04:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 176
N
NewEnglander Offline
Offline
N
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 176
They are awesome. I have WRG3s on my car and put WRG4s on my wife's Hyundai. Comfortable and outstanding in bad weather.


17 VW Golf SportWagen 4Motion | Castrol Edge | Continental ProContact TX
17 VW Jetta SEL Premium | Castrol Edge | Nokian eNTYRE 2.0
Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: NewEnglander] #5138231 06/19/19 07:23 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 478
H
hemitruck Offline
Offline
H
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
They are awesome. I have WRG3s on my car and put WRG4s on my wife's Hyundai. Comfortable and outstanding in bad weather.


How did these tires do in the snow ? Thanks

Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: NO2] #5138903 06/19/19 11:43 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 8,390
E
edyvw Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 8,390
Originally Posted by NO2
Consumer reports rated them in their tire issue. They were middle of the group tested. They are a winter biased all season tire.

Dry braking Good
Wet braking Fair
Handling Good
Hydroplaning Very Good
Snow traction Very Good
Ice braking Excellent
Ride comfort Very Good
Noise Very Good
Rolling resistance Good
Tested tread life (Miles) 60000
Highs Very good hydroplaning resistance, snow traction, and comfort. Excellent grip on ice.
Lows Fair wet stopping performance.
CRs Take Strong wintery grip in a tire that can be used all year long.


60,000 miles will not happen with that compound.
Wet performance is long standing issue for Nokian, and usually tires that have excellent ice performance will suffer in wet. It is nature of compound and Nokian focuses on ice and snow performance more than anything else.


15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OEM filter).
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W40+MANN filter)
Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: faramir9] #5138914 06/20/19 12:25 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,738
W
Ws6 Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,738
WRG3's were supposed to get 50K or 55K according to CR, too. I got <20K. They were loud AF (sounded like an 18 wheeler or all 4 wheel-bearings going bad), they had terrible hydroplaning resistance even when new. I somehow doubt t he WRG4 SUV has magically fixed all this. Nokian sucks. I replaced mine with Altimax RT43's. No real downsides, all upsides. The Nokians wore out before winter, but I did manage to hit one patch of compressed snow on the road with them. RT43's were just as good imo

Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: Ws6] #5228694 10/02/19 05:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
S
shorebreeze Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
I've had very good results with my WRG3 -- 51,500 miles and counting, just shy of the 55K warranty, though I am going to have to change them before this winter. Hydroplaning has been decent with these tires on my Chevy Sonic, though wet cornering is a problem. They are excellent in ice and packed snow and good in loose snow and slush. They are firmer in ride than the dreadful stock Hankook H428 tires that came with the car. They are much better in the wet than those stock tires....but then I think bicycle tires would be better in the wet than the H428.

I am doubting the WRG4 simply because....they seem to be slightly firmer compound, they're 1/32nd of an inch less in depth (11 instead of 12) yet with a longer tread warranty; and CR's review of them was pretty negative whereas the G3 had led the pack with CR.

I am looking at Michelin's CrossClimate+ but it is based on a totally different concept, a summer tire adapted for winter use as opposed to a winter adapted for summer use, and a directional as opposed to asymmetric pattern. CR shows this tire well out in front in the all-season category.

Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: faramir9] #5228769 10/02/19 06:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 227
I
Ignatius Online Sleepy
Online Sleepy
I
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 227
I have had a set on my 2018 Subaru Outback since last winter, I have put about 30,000 miles on so far and they hardly look worn down at all.

I am extremely biased as I have replaced the factory tires on 3 of my last 4 vehicles with Nokian tires, personally I think that the WR series tire is the best all around tire for any vehicle. They are rated as an all weather (not all season) tire suited for extreme conditions. They are pretty much the next best thing to a dedicated winter tire that can be driven year round in all temperatures.


2018 Subaru Outback Limited - 75,000 miles
2018 Subaru Outback Premium - 30,000 miles
2012 Hyundai Accent GLS - 93,000 miles
2005 Dodge Sprinter 3500 - 161,000 miles
Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: shorebreeze] #5228798 10/02/19 06:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,985
S
slacktide_bitog Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,985
Originally Posted by shorebreeze
I've had very good results with my WRG3 -- 51,500 miles and counting, just shy of the 55K warranty, though I am going to have to change them before this winter. Hydroplaning has been decent with these tires on my Chevy Sonic, though wet cornering is a problem. They are excellent in ice and packed snow and good in loose snow and slush. They are firmer in ride than the dreadful stock Hankook H428 tires that came with the car. They are much better in the wet than those stock tires....but then I think bicycle tires would be better in the wet than the H428.

I am doubting the WRG4 simply because....they seem to be slightly firmer compound, they're 1/32nd of an inch less in depth (11 instead of 12) yet with a longer tread warranty; and CR's review of them was pretty negative whereas the G3 had led the pack with CR.

I am looking at Michelin's CrossClimate+ but it is based on a totally different concept, a summer tire adapted for winter use as opposed to a winter adapted for summer use, and a directional as opposed to asymmetric pattern. CR shows this tire well out in front in the all-season category.


welcome

You're complaining about the WRG4 "only" having 11/32 instead of 12/32, yet the CrossClimate+ you're considering only has 9/32 smile

Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: faramir9] #5228873 10/02/19 07:50 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 183
Z
Zolton Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 183
I got the Nexen Winguard Sport 2 for sport winter tire. Price was amazing on EBay.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nexen/WinGuard-Sport-2.htm

Re: Nokian WRG4 [Re: slacktide_bitog] #5229109 10/03/19 06:17 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
S
shorebreeze Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
Harder compound. Completely different tread pattern.

Rather than tread depth snark, I'd be curious for people's take on why the Nokian WR G4 came out so poorly in CR's testing for conventional conditions, mainly in the wet, and how a 9/32 tire like the Michelin ends up with a 600 UTQG rating AND "very good" snow and ice and wet ratings all at the same time. Is there something about the CR test procedure I should know about? Or have Michelin broken new ground here?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™