Are you more likely to buy oil by the jug or quart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Mods may think different. Could referring to a woman's anatomy with that term be considered a tad "unclean"?

Bless
You don't get out much do ya
It will be alright
Huge your teddy bear and go to bed and dream sweet dreams and come back tomorrow and we'll all play nice
Nite nite John boy !!ðŸ‘

I see no reason to buy quart containers. Sometimes I end up with leftovers, but it always gets used.
Just yesterday I added the remaining 1/2 quart to our house cleaner's Camry.
5 quart containers are so much easier.
And ultimately, pouring in 5 single quarts just might leave more residue in the container wasting oil.

All good.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Mods may think different. Could referring to a woman's anatomy with that term be considered a tad "unclean"?

Good ole boys club don't even know how offensive they are.

Need sensitivity training.

Talk AK's, FN's and HK's

Innuendo

But, No Politics!

I'm a jugs guy, for sure.
You just can't beat the final price after some of these synthetic oil rebates, it costs less than conventional.

Depends on the price. I normally buy 5qt jug, but Autozone usually has an amazing clearance on both every christmas. Looking forward to it.

Jug. My vehicle takes something like 4.85 quarts, so I buy the 5 quart jug and that's what the dealer puts in it. 1 jug every 5K miles. Simple and easy. Mobil 1 5-30 EP, ranges from $22-26 at Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Since jugs became common I buy all my vehicle oil in jugs. When I had motorcycles it was often by the quart.
My lawn mower uses my vehicle oil choice.

Jug, as often times I'll buy oil buy a case of xxx 5quart jugs in a big box. Cheaper that way
smile.gif

It's typically much less costly to buy a five quart jug and toss the extra oil for an application that takes four quarts than it is to buy four individual quarts.
The parts chain specials usually have the same price for five individual quarts and a jug, though.

I find it strange that you guys refer to 5-quart plastic bottles as "jugs." How did that start? When I fill out SOPUS rebate forms, they ask whether I bought 1-quart bottles or a 5-quart bottle.

They're less convenient than quarts because I can't pour directly from them into the engine's fill opening without spilling. I buy them anyway, ever since retail oil became less expensive in the larger containers a few years ago. I pour oil from the 5-quart container through a funnel into an old 1-quart container, then dump that in the engine, then repeat. That's extra steps and more opportunity for a spill if the small bottle overturns---which hasn't actually happened yet, because I'm careful.

Keeping track of how much oil I've put in the engine from a large "jug" requires more careful attention and mental math than simply counting empty quarts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
I find it strange that you guys refer to 5-quart plastic bottles as "jugs." How did that start? When I fill out SOPUS rebate forms, they ask whether I bought 1-quart bottles or a 5-quart bottle.

They're less convenient than quarts because I can't pour directly from them into the engine's fill opening without spilling. I buy them anyway, ever since retail oil became less expensive in the larger containers a few years ago. I pour oil from the 5-quart container through a funnel into an old 1-quart container, then dump that in the engine, then repeat. That's extra steps and more opportunity for a spill if the small bottle overturns---which hasn't actually happened yet, because I'm careful.

Keeping track of how much oil I've put in the engine from a large "jug" requires more careful attention and mental math than simply counting empty quarts.

Sounds like a lot of extra work for a simple oil change
How many quarts does your vehicle hold ?

Originally Posted by CR94

A jug has a handle, a bottle does not.
At least that is how I look at it.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
... Sounds like a lot of extra work for a simple oil change
How many quarts does your vehicle hold ?
Yes it is, compared to individual quarts, which don't require so much vertical clearance to avoid spills. I don't see any plausible alternative other than using a large funnel, which would be more bother to clean and store.

It takes 4.4 quarts, so I note how much is initially in the leftover 5-quart container, empty it into the engine, then add more from the new container until its level is 0.6 quarts higher than the first one started. Eventually, after 7 or 8 oil changes, I theoretically should have enough left in the newly opened bottle for a complete change the next time.

I think lots of us a funnel of some sorts, I have a large funnel that I use and after an oil change I clean with a couple of blast of brake clean and then stuff a wad of paper towels, turn upside down on the shelf and it clean and ready for next time

This post made me look and thank you. I'm going to have to try the Havoline Smart Change.

Originally Posted by Sluggo0018
Almost always jugs for me. That being said, I am loving the 6 quart, $20, bag in a box of Havoline synthetic at WalMart.com. Getting some 5W20 and 5W30 delivered to my door today.

HAHA. Jugs vs. Quarts, really? In typical bitog fashion a post about nothing, balloons into a multi-page thread. Next topic, which way do you install the TP roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back