Having a mechanic check out a used car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a perspective buyer wants to drive my Subaru to his mechanic to have it checked out. I have no concerns in having the vehicle checked out but am concerned with letting someone I do not know drive away with my car for an hour or two.

How have people handled it in the past.

Keep the car until it worth $500 and no one will pay a mechanic to check it out on a $500 car?

Get a copy of his drivers license and insurance paperwork and have him give you the cash for the car. You can hold the money as collateral and you have his info to identify him. That or go with him to the mechanic.

You drive with him, you hear what the mechanic says as well, and you also become aware of what the car needs. Buyer usually pays for the PPI.

Could just trade it in and take whatever they offer. Done that a couple of times.

Carmax will take it if you don't want to buy another vehicle, there's that route.

My private sale cars were a grand and less, so no worries about inspections. Buyer looks it over, picks up whatever fell off after kicking the tire, hands me cash. Done.

Would never let someone just drive it away. Even if they do bring it back, I can image a dozen red light or speeding tickets in the mail a week later. You take the car to buyer's mechanic yourself on condition your get a copy of the results.

Originally Posted by Audios
You drive with him, you hear what the mechanic says as well, and you also become aware of what the car needs. Buyer usually pays for the PPI.

That's what I did last time, the owner drove the car to my mechanic, mechanic looked it over and said it was good and then I bought the car. Just have to factor in the time as another person looking to buy the car.

When I sold the C250, not a single one of the buyers wanted to have a pre-purchase inspection done. I even suggested the idea.

Ultimately, the guy who purchased the car seemed satisfied after I showed him pictures of the engine torn apart and copies of all of the parts I purchased to fix it.

If I was in your shoes I would drop off the car at the shop of their choice.

Just take the guy's license, his actual license. Tell him if he gets in trouble with the law, to call you.

At least he might be driving real safely so the question won't come up.

It also lets you appear to be willing to let the buyer do this while secretly wishing he wouldn't.

Originally Posted by Audios

This

Take the car to the shop of his choosing and give the service writer his name/number. The writer will call the prospective buyer to authorize the inspection and cost, and give him the inspection results directly.

I just did it this way on my 911. Of course the guy flaked at the last minute, but he did foot the bill for a PPI that I am now sharing with other interested parties, so it was worth the hassle.

Originally Posted by fisher83
Get a copy of his drivers license and insurance paperwork and have him give you the cash for the car. .

You own the car, your insurance covers anything that happens.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Get a copy of his drivers license and insurance paperwork and have him give you the cash for the car. .

I wouldn't count on this part. You can do lots of things to the car that won't be covered by insurance. Hit a curb, scratch up a rim, bottom out, damage the transmission/engine, etc.

Take the time to ride with him if possible. He can drive the car there and get to know it. As long as the car is sound his mechanic will tell the truth.

Just beware that the mechanic can also help beat you down on price.

I've had a few buyers of cars I owned ask to have a car checked out. In fact I like the idea, why not they're paying for the check-up. I put a 30 minute limit on how far I will drive a car to meet them at their mechanic's shop. I do that after the buyer did his test drive, with me in the car. There is no way I will let my car out of my sight and allow someone to take a car to a shop and return it to me when they're done. I also want to hear what the mechanic said, and see how he checked the car. The other reason why I meet them there is if they feel they're going to negotiate a price down to a level I'm not happy with I don't have to drive back with them to their car. We can part ways at their mechanic's shop. Many times they'll use their friend/mechanic to try and beat a price down. I never feared losing a deal, for every lost deal there was a better one right behind it.

I would not let someone drive away with my car. That's crazy.
Go with him or meet him there.
I take it he is paying for the service.
The information is valuable to you regardless.

Good luck.

I just take the license of prospective buyer during test drive or check. Sold three cars worth under $3000 this way.

I leave them my cell phone number and address in case it goes sideways.

The initial test drive I ride with them to get a feel for them before letting them take away.

Note all three vehicles I was offered about $1000 each trade in but managed $2000-$2900 each private sale. Worth the "risk"

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I would not let someone drive away with my car. That's crazy.
Go with him or meet him there.
I take it he is paying for the service.
The information is valuable to you regardless.

Good luck.

+1

I encountered this situation when selling my last car. I drove the car myself to the shop and met the buyer there. He paid for the inspection and we watched his mechanic look everything over.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by AZjeff

I wouldn't count on this part. You can do lots of things to the car that won't be covered by insurance. Hit a curb, scratch up a rim, bottom out, damage the transmission/engine, etc.

Just pointing out if buyer wrecks it your insurance will pay not his as you still own the car.

The guy is going to drive YOUR car two hours away to have it inspected by a mechanic? Hahaha. No way.

Drive it there and meet the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back