New 2019 5.0 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought it and a coworker mentioned the 5.0 has major oil consumption issues. Everything I read says 2017/2018. Please tell me they got it worked out.

Congratulations! I have heard and read they got that oil burning figured out.

Originally Posted by mcrn

Thank you ! I had a 2016 2.7 We loved and got this one mainly because the wife liked the Ruby Mist color. Whew !

Congratulations!

My buddy just got his first F-150 and he's lovin' it! Had it for 2 weeks now.
It's got the 5.0(Coyote) engine, 10 spd auto, 4WD & 3.55 Rear Axle. This thing really MOVES!

He had to special order it(~3 months) 'cause it's the standard cab/standard box(dealers don't stock'em) and only the options he wanted. He says, "it's the most perfect vehicle he has ever owned".

All 3rd gen coyotes are at risk of oil consumption. There are ‘19 5.0 F-150s that have had their engine replaced because of this, from what I've read on F150forum.

Ford went to plasma arc cylinder liners in 2017 for the 2018 trucks. The 2018's had quite a few oil burners. They also have had issues in the Mustang 5.0. Hopefully they have worked out their issues, but from what I have read have been good about working with owners affected by the problem. Good luck and maybe yours won't be a problem child.

The issues appear to be worked out in the 2019 year. The 10 speed trans is also reported to have the correct software and is now often referred to as smooth.

Originally Posted by askani79705

Thank you ! I had a 2016 2.7 We loved and got this one mainly because the wife liked the Ruby Mist color. Whew !

Wow they only last 3 years? What happened to Ford Tough?

Interesting you can get a STD Cab and short box again now.

That's what I like in a truck.

If the frame isn't a springy affair like the old ones, I might consider one.
My buddy's F250 the Box used to hit the Cab over bumps;. Some how bends an inch!

Wish for a 5 speed stick though in 4x4.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Wow they only last 3 years? What happened to Ford Tough?

Interesting you can get a STD Cab and short box again now.

That's what I like in a truck.

If the frame isn't a springy affair like the old ones, I might consider one.
My buddy's F250 the Box used to hit the Cab over bumps;. Some how bends an inch!

Wish for a 5 speed stick though in 4x4.

Nothing wrong with it,we just wanted a new one.

Wow, If I had a car I didn't have a handfull of major complaints about in three years
I would be keeping her.

Must have been SOMETHING that pushed you ....

Other than the attraction of the hot colour
smile.gif

Nice truck and good choice on the 5.0. Id go with that engine as well if I was getting an F-150.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Wow, If I had a car I didn't have a handfull of major complaints about in three years
I would be keeping her.

Must have been SOMETHING that pushed you ....

Other than the attraction of the hot colour
smile.gif

We get a new one for my wife every 3-4 years. I other hand keep one until the wheels fall off. I guess the something is my pretty wife

I would check dipstick @ 1000 miles. Only way to know. No sense fretting about a problem you may not have.

Might consider a good traditional break-in process. Consider using Tow/Haul mode on the shift selector often. It steps up through each gear of the 10-speed without skip shifting and equally, or even more important, it will step down through each gear on decel for engine braking. That nets you some vacuum pulls on the piston rings to balance the pressure/acceleration runs as you do the brisk throttle acceleration runs to help seat the rings. Sport mode does the same with gears but holds gears longer than tow/haul and in combination with the more aggressive throttle map of sport mode, it can put you closer to redline rpm than is recommended for break-in if you're not careful. As usual, don't exceed 75% of tachometer redline until at least 1000 miles are accumulated.

Originally Posted by sopususer
Ford went to plasma arc cylinder liners in 2017 for the 2018 trucks. The 2018's had quite a few oil burners. They also have had issues in the Mustang 5.0. Hopefully they have worked out their issues, but from what I have read have been good about working with owners affected by the problem. Good luck and maybe yours won't be a problem child.

PTWA is nothing new it's actually been used for a long time
Even Nissan and caterpillar use the same process in some of their engines. Even Kawasaki back in the ‘70's.
So you'll be just fine enjoy your new Ford !!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Only way you'll find out is to check your oil at every fill up. Ford should have refined their plasma arc process for their blocks by now - but you do have a warranty and you also have the opportunity to break in your engine how you see fit.

But don't over think it and get into paralysis by analysis, I would enjoy your new truck.

We get a new one for my wife every 3-4 years. I other hand keep one until the wheels fall off. I guess the something is my pretty wife

sounds like it'll be gone before the warranty is up anyways so why even worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back