F150 EB 2.7 vs EB 3.5 vs V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dareo
They should have an F150 with the Chevy 6.2 V8. They already share that 10 speed auto, why not just buy some engines from GM? I'd sell my GMC for a 6.2 powered F150.

Sad to say but yes the GM full size twins just aren't competitive anymore when it comes to interior and stuff. And that's coming from a hardcore GM fanboy who drives a Ford.

I wouldn't say the GM trucks aren't competitive but the F150 body is better. Steal some interior parts from a RAM limited, GM 6.2 V8 and you have the ultimate half ton truck.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by dareo
They should have an F150 with the Chevy 6.2 V8. They already share that 10 speed auto, why not just buy some engines from GM? I'd sell my GMC for a 6.2 powered F150.

Sad to say but yes the GM full size twins just aren't competitive anymore when it comes to interior and stuff. And that's coming from a hardcore GM fanboy who drives a Ford.

I would be in favor of a factory sloppy F-150 option. O an if I am buying a newer F-150, 5.0 all the way. So much stuff to not deal with on the 5.0. However I still want a -14 Raptor with the 6.2L.

Any of the three will be fine and very reliable.
Find me an engine family that doesn't have an issue here and there. If you want a 5.0, go for it. TSB's have been issued for every engine family ever manufactured. Some 2.7's had cylinder head issues and you'd think from all the gloom and doom typed about them that they'd all lock up at some point. 3.5's had an intercooler problem early on and from all the gloom and doom typed about them, you'd think they'd all lock up at some point. Some early Coyote's had an issue with cylinders that would go "oval" after a while. Chev's? Weak mains etc. Ram's? Huge list. Read all the bad stuff on the web and actually believe it and you'd be walking........

If you tow alot might consider going F-250 or 350 with the new 7.3. Alot of work in R&D has went into this engine. Normally not a 1st year fan but this engine looks great. It will be on the 2020 in a few months. We make the exhaust system for it and every bit of it has been beefed up immensely. However 12-13 mpg on highway will probably avg.

Originally Posted by spk2000
If you tow alot might consider going F-250 or 350 with the new 7.3. Alot of work in R&D has went into this engine. Normally not a 1st year fan but this engine looks great. It will be on the 2020 in a few months. We make the exhaust system for it and every bit of it has been beefed up immensely. However 12-13 mpg on highway will probably avg.

I am looking forward to the new 7.3L. I see it as a fantastic alternative to a diesel, especially for a fleet. One of my friends is looking to upgrade his RV and is waiting until the 7.3L hits the F-53 chassis to get the 10speed automatic.

Originally Posted by diyjake
He went with a 2016 F150 with 2.7 EB. He doesn't tow anything so doesn't need anything powerful.

To think that the 2.7 is somehow less powerful or capable is incorrect. It's actually the fastest version of the F150.

Just yesterday we put the 3.5EB up against the 2.7. And as always, the 2.7 is a tick faster in acceleration.

Just spent a week driving a rented 2019 F150 5.0 with a 10 speed and it was fantastic. Lots of power, 10 speed always seemed to be in the right gear no "seeking", 18 mpg with my mix of driving.

Originally Posted by spk2000

Not to discount the new 7.3 . But the wife went from a 2002 7.3 diesel to a 2018 6.2 and has done some 1000 mile round trips with my daughter and their horses to events and is happy with the 6.2 engines performance though she like the diesel engine. A lower cost option that is fine unless the max weights are towed.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I have all three. The V8, the 3.5EB and the 2.7EB.

The 2.7 is the fastest and the most fun. It's downright amazing with the 10 speed transmission (2018 and up) . The engine sounds great, is rev happy and willingly pulls at low revs. Will tow 3 and a half tons with ease! Even up steep hills. 20-21 mpg. If he gets a 2.7, get the 2018 and up. Sport mode sounds AND feels like a sports car. Really fun.

The 3.5 EB is nearly as fast as the 2.7. However, it sounds (groans) like a UPS truck and is not nearly as much of a pleasure to drive. It makes plenty of power and will cruise along and pull at low RPM all day long. It also tows wonderfully. It is a touch laggy and occasionally lugs a bit. 17-18mpg

The V8 is smoother, more refined feeling and sounds best. It's not as fast, and has nowhere near the mid range torque. However, I prefer the instant response of the V8 when driving like an idiot.... The V8 is still my favorite due to the very refined feel and instant response. 15mpg.

Thanks for the detailed review of the driving experience of the 3. Looks like very helpful information to a prospective buyer. I think for high mileage long term use the 5.0 would be the best choice but obviously the Ecoboost engines work very well and are slightly more efficient.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by loneryder
There was a poll of Ford mechanics about which engine would buy for their own personal truck. 90+% said the V8.

It was a youtube video of a dealership staffer "interviewing" techs in the service dept. If you believe that dealership service techs are the pinnacle of vehicle repair skill and achievement, then by all means, believe that survey. I choose to believe they are not.

So the people that fix them every day have no credibility lol. You know better than them. They see every problem with vehicles under warranty, how many fail, how much work and $ to fix and they shouldn't be giving you advise on what to buy. Okay. Lol. I worked in a Ford dealer for a bit, by the way. I know how quickly the dealership can figure out which engines are the best.

Last edited:
I love how one YouTube video suddenly becomes the basis so many people point to as the " authority" opinion on a subject.

I'll go back to using my critical thinking skills in determining what to believe. One YouTube video is a small part of that. With all the different opinions on youtube, there are some nuggets of truth and a lot of garbage.

Does "critical thinking" mean gathering no evidence or information / other people's experiences? I've heard a lot of people on this site use that word but I really don't know what they mean by it.

Critical thinking could be considered believing that screwing up something as bone simple as an oil change by over filling means curstomer loses faith in dealership techs. How many times have we heard on here about bad oil changes at a dealership? Just experienced on the wife's GMC last week, but they did admit to it and correct it.

And here's the kicker to my recent dealership service experience: It wasn't their quick lube operation. It was their regular tech section. The reason for this is because it was a short notice appointment and their quick lube line was booked up and wife had a 10 hr road trip soon, so they explicitly told me they were putting it on the regular tech service schedule where they had an available slot, instead of the quick lube side. Yet it was still over filled by almost one inch above the full mark.

I don't trust that guy to tell me which engine is best.

So to get this straight, because you had a bad experience with one tech, and many people have bad experience with quick lube places, you are now smarter than all automotive technicians. I understand. As someone who has worked in dealerships and independent garages with some very smart techs, I'll stick to my own experiences and theirs as opposed to yours.

Your problem is easily fixed by doing the oil change yourself. And it also has nothing to do with techs seeing how many of one engine have expensive failures compared to others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back