Status
Not open for further replies.
33K on new engine (no rebuild)

Body is good shape
Clean car fax
Saddle leather is OK on seats, bad on storage area between seats
Haven't driven it yet

Would/Could you pull the trigger?

Nice truck (when new) but $6500 for a 14 year old vehicle seems ridiculous, especially in MS where I imagine trucks are a dime a dozen.

Price seems a little high for 214k. Even though the engine has been replaced, there's the transmission and everything else that has 214k. Realistically, most vehicles don't make it to 300k because problems tend have a snowball effect at that high of mileage.

If it were in immaculate condition (for its age), I would consider it. Those 05's were not Ford's best truck, they have their quirks, but they're decent overall. The King Ranch is icing on the cake. I would want to see full documentation regarding engine replacement-- Would need to confirm that it were done at a reputable mechanic, and how complete the job was. Replacing engine and sticking all the old hoses, belts, etc. back on is not a recipe for long-term reliability. There are so many other potential pitfalls that can spring up on a high-mile vehicle, that having an engine replaced doesn't mean much to me. I've never had an engine just get tired and fail, provided they've been reasonably maintained. It's usually something ancillary that kills engines. A leaking radiator or stuck thermostat causing an overheat condition will trash head gaskets on a new engine about as easily as an old one!

Depends. What options does it have? KR ads some value for sure.
Is it RWD or 4x4? Trailer package (hitch, wiring, cooler), power rear window, which radio, sunroof, etc?
Edmunds puts it at ~$7000 retail for clean condition with most all options, $4600 private party.
If minimal options and average condition, you are closer to $5000 retail and 3500 private party.

I personally will not own a 3v 5.4 based on past experience (phasers, plugs, VCT, oiling, noise, etc).
I would take a 4.6 with less power before getting one (actually will just skip 2004-2010 models)

I had an 05 Triton 5.4 with 225,000 miles on the original motor and it didn't use any oil. I sold it but kind of wished I had kept it because I didn't put very many miles on it. If you like it, buy it.

Originally Posted by blupupher

I personally will not own a 3v 5.4 based on past experience (phasers, plugs, VCT, oiling, noise, etc).
I would take a 4.6 with less power before getting one (actually will just skip 2004-2010 models)

This seems to be the consensus on F-150 forums. Definitely do some reading about the cam phasers before you decide to buy.

Originally Posted by fsdork
Originally Posted by blupupher

This seems to be the consensus on F-150 forums. Definitely do some reading about the cam phasers before you decide to buy.

33K on a new engine NOT a rebuild he says
Don't think he has to worry about the dreaded cam phaser demon and plugs and VCT issues

I haven't seen a NEW 3V 5.4L! Even the ones from Ford are remanufactured. I'm sure new engines were available at one time....Question for bdcardinal. And if it is new.....It would be old stock without the many updates!

Considering it has a 4 speed auto (4R75W)......No way I would pay top retail for it! The 2009/2010 6R80 equipped trucks are much nicer!

It would be a reman from Ford. New would have only been available at the most a year after that particular engine tag number was no longer being used in production. Any reman should have updates to it.

Personally I would skip purely because I hate the King Ranch interior. But I would have no issue buying a 5.4 3V and am actually searching for a nice 6.0 diesel. But look where I work and I have the ability to do most of the work on my own and have access to all the tools needed.

It's a new motor to him and your both right it's a reman
But yeah a little over priced for the year model
But
4wd trucks are high right now and good ones are hard to find

Last edited:
With those engines it is all about maintenance. If the oil was changed regularly with good oil there were a lot less issues. If it was not maintained well, issues were prevalent. Price does seem a little high. I would also want to know the history of the transmission and transmission fluid (all fluids, actually).

Maintenance doesn't affect or prevent timing chain tensioner seal blow-out, And I've seen super clean 5.4L's have rocker follower failures & rattling VCT phasers.

I think they're good engine once repaired.....Just like the 6.0L Powerstroke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back