Any reasons NOT to use Rotella 5w-40 in Euro Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than mfg specs, seriously.

I looked at a bunch of new oils, and am not impressed.

Psychical specifications, UOAs, VOAs, chemistry etc what is RTS missing that other high HT/HS mfg spec oils deliver?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pretend you already had plenty of Rotella in abundance. What and why would you seek out a different oil for VW 1.8T. It's not the only car in the family, so I don't want to get too fussy.

Twice a year changes.

VW 502 is such a weak baseline for a spec anyway.

I'd be doing myself a favor, right?

I thought zink was a good additive to have in excess.

Is this for catalytic converter life?

A lot of car sites, people claim they get their best UOA results on Rotella. BMW, Subaru....etc

"Hello.

I am driving a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T with 91,000 miles on it. I have read good
things about your previous generation 5w40 Rotella T in VW's 1.8T, even though it is primarily a diesel oil.

Is the new T6 5w40 a good match for this engine? I have not any
sludge issues, but the previous Rotella T had a good reputation for keeping
engines clean. I do not see any reference to use of this new product (on the package) in gasoline engines, where the previous Rotella T did state it was safe for gasoline engines.
Steve"
----------------------------------

The following day, this is the reply I received from Shell:

"Hello Steve,
Your engine may use Rotella T or T6 since VW allows API SJ or SL
rated oils. Rotella has not be qualified against the VW
specifications but meets API SM and prior S ratings for gasoline
engines. I think you will have good service with... Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40.

For your engine:
"Engine oil specifications for 4 and 6 cylinder engines

The following terms must appear on the oil container singly or in
combination with other designations.
Multi-viscosity energy conserving oils such as: VW 500 00, VW 502 00
Multi-viscosity oil: VW 501 01
Multi-viscosity oil according to: API-SJ or API-SL, SAE 5w-40 or SAE
10w-40"
Regards,
Keith
Shell Technical Information

Are you just looking for someone to tell you it's fine to use?

Yes it is about emissions equipment. A great deal of people that use it in the tuning world have either deleted cats so they don't care, or only keep the thing for 3-4 years and they never make it to the point where it starts to become a problem.

Since this car has already made it fifteen years with whatever oil I would imagine this would also be fine, although probably extreme overkill in viscosity.

Last edited:
@Jimmy_Russells
MB 228.31, Volvo VDS-4.5 or MAN M3575, thats for vehicles without cats?

There are Catepillar machines, with SCR cats
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Zolton
VW 502 is such a weak baseline for a spec anyway.

I'd be doing myself a favor, right?

You have to lay the other specs the oil meets on top of the VW spec. that typically fills that graph up quite a bit. Anytime I used that graph the oil I looked at met more than one spec. Usually a VW Spec, Porsche Spec, MB, GM Dexos2 spec, etc.

From Delo XSP 5w40 PDS..

"Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is a mixed-fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API CK-4, API SN or API SN PLUS service categories and SAE 5W-40 viscosity grade is recommended. It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions.Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is excellent for use in engines developed to meet 2010 emissions standards and in engines equipped with features like four-valve heads, supercharging, turbocharging, direct injection, shorter piston crowns, higher power density, intercooling, full electronic management of fuel and emissions systems"

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
From Delo XSP 5w40 PDS..

"Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is a mixed-fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API CK-4, API SN or API SN PLUS service categories and SAE 5W-40 viscosity grade is recommended. It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions.Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is excellent for use in engines developed to meet 2010 emissions standards and in engines equipped with features like four-valve heads, supercharging, turbocharging, direct injection, shorter piston crowns, higher power density, intercooling, full electronic management of fuel and emissions systems"

That is another good oil. It is the current fill in my 88 E-150.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
@Jimmy_Russells

laugh.gif

SCR does not work the same way. Gasoline does not use DEF (or similar).

Let's just say I don't care about cats. I'm more of a dog person anyway.

I thought zink was a good additive to have in excess.

Is this for catalytic converter life?

No. It's only good for for older vehicles which don't have roller cams. Too much ZDDP can cause excessive timing chain wear on today's engines.

Let's just say I don't care about cats. I'm more of a dog person anyway.

lol.gif

My friend's BF was asking me if T6 was OK to use in her VW 2.0 TSI and I told her BF go for it. Might be a better oil for it though M1 0W-40FS is also a good choice as Mercedes specs are tougher than VW ones.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
@Jimmy_Russells

laugh.gif

GREAT! You mean, in there are only SCR cats?
33.gif

Wiseacre of the day...

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
@Jimmy_Russells

laugh.gif

GREAT! You mean, in there are only SCR cats?
33.gif

Wiseacre of the day...

Are you on this board just to pick fights with people? The OP does not have a diesel vehicle we are talking about.

I am a Bosch certified diesel fuel injection technician, specializing in common rail. So I like to believe I have some idea what I'm talking about... But on the subject of motor oil additive packs and exhaust after treatment system compatibility, I will believe the experts and follow their recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back