is a CUV/SUV overkill for everyday use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WhyMe

so what advantages does a CUV have over a small car for putting around town?

There will be occasions in most folks life where the carrying capacity in the back will be helpful.

Only thing I missed out on with my Corolla was lack of space to fit larger items, had to borrow a minivan or SUV a few times beforeI got the Venza. Still drive my corolla, great car imo.

Originally Posted by SeaJay

There will be occasions in most folks life where the carrying capacity in the back will be helpful.

This is the key. We occasionally buy a few bags of mulch or potting soil or whatever. They fit in the back with no worries. We can bring a couple of friends on day trips and everyone rides in comfort.

The versatility and economy of these crossovers is the big selling point. The size you get depends on what your needs are.

With that said, I don't worry about what others drive. It's a free country.

Overkill how?
Wifey has averaged near enough 30 mpg with our newer Forester that its thirst really isn't an issue and she makes no effort at maximizing fuel economy nor does she avoid using the AC at all ever.
OTOH, my Accord Hybrid has averaged near enough 48 mpg in my use, but wife doesn't like the low seating position and the lack of a large greenhouse.
A good CUV offers reasonable fuel economy along with a high seating position and the better ones also offer plenty of glass.
Nothing wrong with that.
These CUVs are also very reasonably priced, although you can get a deal on a sedan, as I did, since everyone else wants a CUV.

My wife and I wanted an F31 M Sport, but a CPO E84 X1 M Sport turned up at my dealer at an extremely attractive price. Unlike many xDrive models the M Sport package gets you the M Technic suspension, so it's actually entertaining to drive. With a six second 0-60 time and a mid-fourteen second quarter it's hardly a ball of fire, but it returns 23 mpg on average, so I suppose it all evens out.

2015 x1.jpg

I have 2 big dogs, so CUV is fine, so is a wagon. I have no desire to own another sedan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Think about the last time you had to haul a large item... What was it? How big was it? What is the likelihood you'll need that kind of hauling capability?

I have a Mazda 3 hatchback and it's absolutely perfect for my daily commute and for going places with my wife on the weekends. With the rear seat down and the rear privacy lid removed, I can stuff some pretty big things in there.

If you're financially secure and just want to buy a different vehicle, get whatever floats your boat. If you're getting OK service and economy out of what you have and don't really want to rock your financial picture, stick with what you have. In terms of maintenance cost and fuel savings, buying a small sedan or hatchback will probably save you only a few hundred bucks per year -and that's chicken feed in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Think about the last time you had to haul a large item... What was it? How big was it? What is the likelihood you'll need that kind of hauling capability?

I have a Mazda 3 hatchback and it's absolutely perfect for my daily commute and for going places with my wife on the weekends. With the rear seat down and the rear privacy lid removed, I can stuff some pretty big things in there.

If you're financially secure and just want to buy a different vehicle, get whatever floats your boat. If you're getting OK service and economy out of what you have and don't really want to rock your financial picture, stick with what you have. In terms of maintenance cost and fuel savings, buying a small sedan or hatchback will probably save you only a few hundred bucks per year -and that's chicken feed in the grand scheme of things.

The last time I need to haul something big, it was a 40 foot ladder. Had to rent a truck to move it. Cheaper than driver a truck all the time for the few times a year when you need it. First time renting a 20' foot truck from Uhaul. It's crazy that they let regular drivers drive them. Just jumped in and drove it.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Overkill how?
Wifey has averaged near enough 30 mpg with our newer Forester that its thirst really isn't an issue and she makes no effort at maximizing fuel economy nor does she avoid using the AC at all ever.
OTOH, my Accord Hybrid has averaged near enough 48 mpg in my use, but wife doesn't like the low seating position and the lack of a large greenhouse.
A good CUV offers reasonable fuel economy along with a high seating position and the better ones also offer plenty of glass.
Nothing wrong with that.
These CUVs are also very reasonably priced, although you can get a deal on a sedan, as I did, since everyone else wants a CUV.

You know what I'd worry about in a CUV??

Roll overs... And I don't believe those vehicles are all that good when it comes to real world circumstances if one needed to take sudden evasive action AND one side of that CUVs wheel got unbalanced and off the pavement... The test I have seen always show those vehicles on a paved surface with all 4 wheels on a paved surface the entire time going around cones... Well... If one is one a real two lane road or even 4 lane road and one side wheels gets off the pavement and it is a dropoff of more than 6 inches and the driver has a lot of steering wheel input going all one way I bet it could really get tough really quick... Plus I wonder seriously about the roof structure above the occupants heads... Will that crush easily upon the occupants ??

we have mostly CUV in our family. Tucson/rav4 /crv. recently bought a ioniq for my son to go to school. presently i am out of town and have a toyota corolla as a rental. it ok and gets good gas mileage. after driving this and the ioniq i have thought that owning a CUV or SUV for everyday use does not make sense. i rarely have more than 2 people in my car and can count on one hand when i have had 4 people in my CRV this year.

seems to me i am jsut dragging s lot of empty weight around with a CUV. thinking of getting rid of the CRV and getting a small car.

Around town? None, IMO. I bought a CUV because I don't live in town. That said, it's 3800#, so more like a sedan. Lifetime mpg is 26.4 and rising.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Overkill how?
Nothing wrong with that.

You know what I'd worry about in a CUV??

Roll overs... And I don't believe those vehicles are all that good when it comes to real world circumstances if one needed to take sudden evasive action AND one side of that CUVs wheel got unbalanced and off the pavement... The test I have seen always show those vehicles on a paved surface with all 4 wheels on a paved surface the entire time going around cones... Well... If one is one a real two lane road or even 4 lane road and one side wheels gets off the pavement and it is a dropoff of more than 6 inches and the driver has a lot of steering wheel input going all one way I bet it could really get tough really quick... Plus I wonder seriously about the roof structure above the occupants heads... Will that crush easily upon the occupants ??

My SUV can sustain 5-600% of its own weight on the roof, per IIHS testing.
Further, what you're talking about? I've seen plenty of cars upside down in the ditch, too. An SUV does get you higher off the ground in case a deer runs out. Everything is a trade off. Everything.

Originally Posted by MCompact
My wife and I wanted an F31 M Sport, but a CPO E84 X1 M Sport turned up at my dealer at an extremely attractive price. Unlike many xDrive models the M Sport package gets you the M Technic suspension, so it's actually entertaining to drive. With a six second 0-60 time and a mid-fourteen second quarter it's hardly a ball of fire, but it returns 23 mpg on average, so I suppose it all evens out.

Is that real average, or published? That just sounds low to me.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by MCompact

Is that real average, or published? That just sounds low to me.

That's a rough estimate; I calculate fuel consumption at every fill up and the number usually varies between 21-24 mpg, which is good enough for me.

I think people have gotten into the habit of buying gigantic SUVs (Tahoe and Suburban are king here) for the illusion of safety, when they have no other real need for something that size. In other words, when they're texting or applying makeup at 60mph, they want to feel that they'll come out of it unscathed if they hit someone or something. The other big draw to these beasts is that they enjoy "being up high", mainly so they can more easily spot the car ahead that they will eventually cut off.

It's not my intention to be sexist, but by observation, there are a LOT of women driving around in Tahoes and Escalades that have no business driving something that big. The corners of their bumpers usually look as if they've been in a few demolition derbies, and they can often be seen changing lanes before bothering to look over their shoulders, and feel justified in doing so because they're bigger. This is the demographic surrounding my decision to get rid of my motorcycle. They don't care how they handle (softly sprung and tall, a great combination) or that they suck gas (a V-8 is as useful in urban traffic as a jet engine on a shopping cart), they just feel the need to be bigger than everyone else, so when they screw up and hit somebody, they're "safe".

Was mulling this over this morning and realized that I would not want to haul trash to the transfer station in my sedan. It could be done but it's no real joy. I could get a small trailer and use that, and that does have its value for larger items, but a CUV would make it a snap to just open the rear door for anything tall. I had a Jetta station wagon but that seemed to be a bit short in the rear for trash cans, IIRC I had to take the tops off. I suppose that's due to using regular old trashcans--could have just bought something different. But still. If I could only have one vehicle then I'll opt for the one with a larger cargo area. If I can have two then I kinda like the sedan & van approach, although you just never know when you'll be out and about and find something you just have to have but won't fit in your sedan (like something off of CL).

I do wonder about renting a truck when I "need" one. I have a Home Depot that is 16 miles & 35 minutes away; the other HD is 30 miles & 40 minutes the other way. Seems like I'd waste a lot of time doing vehicle pick up and drop off.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
I think people have gotten into the habit of buying gigantic SUVs (Tahoe and Suburban are king here) for the illusion of safety, when they have no other real need for something that size. In other words, when they're texting or applying makeup at 60mph, they want to feel that they'll come out of it unscathed if they hit someone or something. The other big draw to these beasts is that they enjoy "being up high", mainly so they can more easily spot the car ahead that they will eventually cut off.

It's not my intention to be sexist, but by observation, there are a LOT of women driving around in Tahoes and Escalades that have no business driving something that big. The corners of their bumpers usually look as if they've been in a few demolition derbies, and they can often be seen changing lanes before bothering to look over their shoulders, and feel justified in doing so because they're bigger. This is the demographic surrounding my decision to get rid of my motorcycle. They don't care how they handle (softly sprung and tall, a great combination) or that they suck gas (a V-8 is as useful in urban traffic as a jet engine on a shopping cart), they just feel the need to be bigger than everyone else, so when they screw up and hit somebody, they're "safe".

That could be a regional thing. While large SUVs might be popular in Texas their popularity in my neck of the woods has been on the decline for years. The compact and mid size crossovers are the most popular on the roads here.

Originally Posted by PimTac
That could be a regional thing. While large SUVs might be popular in Texas their popularity in my neck of the woods has been on the decline for years. The compact and mid size crossovers are the most popular on the roads here.

The soccer moms here are stuffing money in the dealerships pockets for Tahoes, and their husbands all drive lifted F-150s with LED bulbs in incandescent headlight housings.

People no longer spend money on retail stuff so they blow a wad on a bling mobile then complain about gas prices and transmission failures.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-always-car-guy-crossovers-suvs-ending-37841.html

Women especially like the high seating position.

As for me I used to be a car guy but the recent trend of only CUV and SUVs on road have made me loose interest.
They all look like minivans to me and are all boring, I rather have a funny little car than any of the current generic mobiles driving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back