"Quiet & Smoth" For 2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Mine is quiet on anything I've ran through it. I do get a tiny bit of timing chain rattle at most start ups (do seem to be better with the Denso filters). I agree with Dino though. I was running Mobil Super 5000 and am now running PYB with Denso filters from rock auto. I really like this combo and am probably sticking with it (until something better comes along)
smile.gif

Same here.

Mines is quieter when the sun is shining and with tail wind, noisier with overcast days.

A lot of Hyundai engines are noisy like i mentioned before but their engines generally run great the v6 nissans are usually pretty quiet on anything

Thanks everyone. You know I guess after all this I'm really questioning if moving to full synthetic is really necessary and what benefits I'm actually getting. Perhaps it's better to just stick with the tried and true Dino? Any comments on that, either way?

Try Mobil Super 5000 -- it's been real quiet in my GM 3800.

Their synthetic is garbage, but they seem to make a good conventional.

Originally Posted By: Verminator
Thanks everyone. You know I guess after all this I'm really questioning if moving to full synthetic is really necessary and what benefits I'm actually getting. Perhaps it's better to just stick with the tried and true Dino? Any comments on that, either way?

I use lots of DINO oils and am very happy with their operation in our varying climate.

I have been really liking QS oils in my vehicles. All have provided smooth/quiet operation compared to alot of other oils in my stash.

QSGB in my '04 Nissan Altima 2.5S 4 cyl
DEFY in my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8
QSUD in my wifes '01 Lexus RX-300 V6

The DEFY is the big surprise in quiet operation!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Try Mobil Super 5000 -- it's been real quiet in my GM 3800.

Their synthetic is garbage, but they seem to make a good conventional.

Can you explain your rational behind that statement? Since most synthetic oil users in America use M1 oils, we are waiting with bated breath for your reply. After all, so many of us are trying to preserve our engines for the life of the vehicle, please give us this valuable information.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Verminator

I use lots of DINO oils and am very happy with their operation in our varying climate.

I have been really liking QS oils in my vehicles. All have provided smooth/quiet operation compared to alot of other oils in my stash.

QSGB in my '04 Nissan Altima 2.5S 4 cyl
DEFY in my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8
QSUD in my wifes '01 Lexus RX-300 V6

The DEFY is the big surprise in quiet operation!

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I agree with you and can also say that I have noticed the QS oils do a nice job of getting things quiet. I used to run QSGB in my '90 Legend and it was smooth as butter. There were times where I even wondered if the engine was on!

Here's my experience with Nissan V-6's. I have a different version in our 2007 M35 that had a steady diet of Conoco or Kendall 5w-30 syn blend for the first 62K miles. Then I noticed "valve noise" when I switched from the Kendall to QSUD 5w-30. Also with the QSUD for the first time the motor used any oil (3/4 qt) between OCs. So next OC I went back to a 50/50 blend, this time of QSUD and QSGB. I can't explain it, but the engine is quieter with a syn blend so it must like conventional at least a little. I have averaged 5,100 mile OC intervals with mostly highway driving.

I too notice the difference in "quiet(er) with most dino oils as compared to synthetics. Even between the QSGB & QSUD.

But, the DEFY has really impressed me for quiet in my old Firebird. Maybe a bit too quiet for this engine? IDK!

*** UPDATE 5.5 YEARS LATER ***

So based on the comments I originally received here, I did change the 2004 Santa Fe from M1 to QSUD synthetic. The noise difference was like night and day. For some reason, and maybe it's just specific to the Hyundai four-cylinder motors of that era, M1 is NOT an oil you want to use on those motors because of the noise. I've used QSUD now exclusively on the Hyundai Santa Fe for five and a half years, and it still purrs like a kitten. I did change the 2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6 from Dino to M1. I've used M1 now for 5 and 1/2 years on that vehicle and it works excellently, and it is nice and quiet in that motor.

Originally Posted by Verminator
I've always wondered about that. Is QSUD one of the highest Molly oils?

same as truck and gas, about 170ppm give or take.

The noise comes from the cam followers. It is a solid mechanical connection and not a hydraulically dampened one. Once warm, maybe there is some metal expansion? It's not an issue as these engines just run on any oil and run a long time regardless. It hasn't been cold yet so I haven't noticed any noise at all on either the OE fill or EDGE EP. I'll see what happens once the temps dip into the 30's. I want to do one more oil change before winter, probably November.

Someone on clubfrontier said Rotella Truck/SUV oil produced noise so he went back to Magnatec. *I don't think noise is ever an issue though. It doesn't equate to wear IMO.

Some oils also have a better P-V (pressure-viscosity) coefficient and handle load better.

I have two vehicles with the VQ40 engine. Both have been ran with Mobil One 10w-30
Synthetic oil. Changed the valve cover gaskets on my Pathfinder at 180k miles and the engine was very clean with no sludge. Both still run very quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back