Found a credit card on the bus stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by atikovi
Toss it in a mailbox?

Not that. Then a Postal employee will go to town with it.

Yeah, I was always suspicious when I dropped in my Netflix DVDs in the mailbox and it would take a couple days for Netflix to receive it sometimes. Whenever I drop them off at the post office, they get them the next day. I suspect the postal employee was watching them and then returning them a day later.

Originally Posted by ozric
So, you don't want to spend a few minutes calling the bank so they can handle it, but you are willing to ask in a forum and wait to read a bunch of replies.

Okay.

Exactly. In the time it took to type up the OP, including thinking of the reasons why it's such a bother, it could have been resolved.

I once went to the ATM at my bank and found someone had left their debit card in the machine. The bank was closed, and I had to get to work, so I finished my transaction and then stopped at the police station around the corner. I told the cop what happened and left the card with her. I was in and out of there in less than a minute.

I've lost my card before within an hour the card was canceled and the new one was headed to me in the mail. Three to five days latter I had the New card. Cut it up!

I found a small ladies handbag in a Costco grocery cart in the return cart section. I brought it in to Costco customer service and they quickly rifled through the credit cards and there was a Costco credit card and they looked up the card and gave the lady a call. Every situation is a little different. I also had an experience where someone didn't take a $20 bill in the return cash at Walmart. I took the $20 and gave it to the cashier. This was in a self service lane. I doubt the person that lost the $20 bill ever went back but if they did I told them the checkout stand where I found it.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I've lost my card before within an hour the card was canceled and the new one was headed to me in the mail. Three to five days latter I had the New card. Cut it up!

If you spend enough, they will do next day delivery for you. Mine usually has a couple thousand on it every month so when I lost mine once, they asked me if I wanted it the next day. I have a backup card so I told them not to bother.

Call their bank to cancel, then cut it up and throw it away.

I found a wallet and called Chase bank (their card) and they cancelled the card, but wouldn't contact the guy to tell him I had his wallet. I ended up going to his house about 30 miles away. He had his license, Social Security card, and about $50 in cash in it. He gave me the cash, which I profusely tried to refuse but he insisted.

A wallet I would make an attempt to return, a single credit card I would just destroy and assume the owner will realize it is missing and report lost.

Originally Posted by dishdude
A wallet I would make an attempt to return, a single credit card I would just destroy and assume the owner will realize it is missing and report lost.

Maybe, or maybe they would freak out.
Calling the bank and following their directions seems to make sense to me.

I just put myself in the other person's place.
All good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back