Uniform molecule size and viscosity modifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Rav4H2019
... 4 quarts of M1 0w16 and 1 quart of pyb 20w50 after rebates is 17 bucks or so. ...
So is 5 quarts of 5W-20 or 10W-30, either of which would have more predictable properties, and be low in viscosity modifier.

But my blend has good pao quantity and heavy base oil.

Originally Posted by PimTac
🚤🎣

Don't know what that is and too small print.
Perhaps you can use words.

Warm temperatures is the intended application.

Don't need ppd. No need to worry about ccs or mrv.

4 quarts of M1 0w16 and 1 quart of pyb 20w50 after rebates is 17 bucks or so.

You are defeating yourself here because the low viscosity base oils in the 0W16 will overhwelm whatever the 20W50 oil contains in this ratio.

What is your viscosity goal and what are the engine requirements?

So rather than adding viscosity modifiers why not mix heavier base oil ? Would that not result in a better hydrodynamic film ?

That is exactly what we do if we want to retain a good MOF. We use low vis base oils for cold weather and start-up and some high vis oil to retain minimum oil films at high temp. The VII is used to get the XWXX target we want.

Heavier base oil will not collapse or curl up like the viscosity modifier. Viscosity modifiers shear permanently for a reason ?

Not all of them shear permanently. Some of the newer Viscosity Index Improver's actually reattach the arms and find each other.

Last edited:
... 4 quarts of M1 0w16 and 1 quart of pyb 20w50 after rebates is 17 bucks or so. ...
So is 5 quarts of 5W-20 or 10W-30, either of which would have more predictable properties, and be low in viscosity modifier.

You can't know that unless you know the exact formula for the PYB conventional oil.

Theoretically, I could start with a 20 grade base oil and add enough VII to get to a 50 grade, but would that be prudent?

Last edited:

Your blend also does not necessarily meet any specification, approval or license listed on either of the mixed oils. That's a whole lot more important than what you might imagine the base stock composition does for you.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

You can't know that unless you know the exact formula for the PYB conventional oil.

Theoretically, I could start with a 20 grade base oil and add enough VII to get to a 50 grade, but would that be prudent?

My reasoning is that for for warmer climate I can blend heavy base oil (pyb 20w50, pyb sae 40 etc.) with m1 0w16 (heavy pao content) and do it for about 17 bucks for 5 quarts.

I am not convinced that the 4 quarts of 0w16 will overwhelm the 1 quart of heavy base oil. Will they overwhelm 1 quart of pure viscosity modifier at operating temperature ?

Pyb 20w50 has low viscosity index and low noack. I imagine it has a very small quantity of viscosity modifiers. However, for the sake of argument let's say we obtain heavy base oil from a jug of sae 30, 40 or 50 with no viscosity modifiers.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Warm temperatures is the intended application.

Don't need ppd. No need to worry about ccs or mrv.

4 quarts of M1 0w16 and 1 quart of pyb 20w50 after rebates is 17 bucks or so.

You are defeating yourself here because the low viscosity base oils in the 0W16 will overhwelm whatever the 20W50 oil contains in this ratio.

What is your viscosity goal and what are the engine requirements?

So rather than adding viscosity modifiers why not mix heavier base oil ? Would that not result in a better hydrodynamic film ?

That is exactly what we do if we want to retain a good MOF. We use low vis base oils for cold weather and start-up and some high vis oil to retain minimum oil films at high temp. The VII is used to get the XWXX target we want.

Heavier base oil will not collapse or curl up like the viscosity modifier. Viscosity modifiers shear permanently for a reason ?

Not all of them shear permanently. Some of the newer Viscosity Index Improver's actually reattach the arms and find each other.

So I can get good MOF using 1 quart of pyb 20w50 with 4 quarts of 0w16 m1 afe. I don't have a xWxx target since operating in warm climate. This is the whole point. I can use 1.5 quarts of pyb 20w50 and 3.5 quarts of 0w16 m1 and get better MOF if I wanted and so on.

My reasoning is that for for warmer climate I can blend heavy base oil (pyb 20w50, pyb sae 40 etc.) with m1 0w16 (heavy pao content) and do it for about 17 bucks for 5 quarts.

Your reasoning is faulty as I stated earlier.

...Will they overwhelm 1 quart of pure viscosity modifier at operating temperature ?

This makes no sense.

Pyb 20w50 has low viscosity index and low noack. I imagine it has a very small quantity of viscosity modifiers. However, for the sake of argument let's say we obtain heavy base oil from a jug of sae 30, 40 or 50 with no viscosity modifiers.

You might get a 30 grade at best with your proposed mix, depending on the mix of base oils in the 20W50.

What viscosity does your vehicle require?

Suggestion: Have the two oils you will be mixing analyzed as new oils (VOA's) and then mix your 4 quarts of 0W16 with your 20W50 and have the resulting (VOA0 mix analyzed.

Report back your mix in a new VOA thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back