Interesting Amazon news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I learned today that Amazon stocks and ships merchandise for many online sellers. Specifically, Ebay, Walmart, Rakuten and more. I try not to do business with Amazon but it appears that is impossible.

Amazon has been doing this for years. Not a new thing.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Long story short, I learned today that Amazon stocks and ships merchandise for many online sellers. Specifically, Ebay, Walmart, Rakuten and more. I try not to do business with Amazon but it appears that is impossible.

Source ? Interested in the eBay reference too. What does eBay themselves sell ?

In your effort not to do business with Amazon, don't look into Amazon Web Services. Do you use Netflix, for example ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

In your effort not to do business with Amazon, don't look into Amazon Web Services. Do you use Netflix, for example ?

And AWS also has a contract with the federal government too.

Not doing business with Amazon these days is like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

They're not an 850+ billion dollar company for nothing. Even Walmart only has a market cap of 337 billion.

I've had a few items I purchased from ebay shipped directly from Amazon...looks like the "Seller" lists an item, then when some sucker takes the bait, they go ahead and order said item from Amazon to the buyers adress, marking it as a "gift", so the buyer doesn't get a copy of the receipt in the pkg....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre

I've had a few items I purchased from ebay shipped directly from Amazon...looks like the "Seller" lists an item, then when some sucker takes the bait, they go ahead and order said item from Amazon to the buyers adress, marking it as a "gift", so the buyer doesn't get a copy of the receipt in the pkg....

It's not that nefarious. There are sellers who basically try to increase their margins by offering the same product across multiple sites. Since pricing tends to vary between eBay and Amazon, and because some consumers only shop at one of the sites, then money can be made. The package will inevitably come from Amazon because they do order fulfillment as one of their businesses.

You can save money this way if you compare prices between sites.

Yep that's exactly what happens. The margins are so slim it hardly seems worth the effort.

I found a seller on Ebay who "drop ships" items sold by Amazon after marking them up by about 300%. To their credit, it had to have taken some time to find these deals on Amazon and then create auction listings. It's just shady to conduct business like that.

An actual example of what they are doing, google and see for yourself:
Gibson 5020 dual exhaust system sells for $608 at Jegs (approximate retail price)
Amazon has it for $105.24, for whatever reason and a killer deal
Shady seller on Ebay has it listed at $292.99
If shady seller gets a sale, they'll buy it off amazon for $105.24 and have it sent to the buyer off ebay.

Last edited:
How many people out there actually knew this? I didn't. I can try not to use Amazon, try not to use Google, stay off Facebook, not buy Gillette products, and my nose is still on my face.

Originally Posted by alchargo

I found a seller on Ebay who "drop ships" items sold by Amazon after marking them up by about 300%. To their credit, it had to have taken some time to find these deals on Amazon and then create auction listings. It's just shady to conduct business like that.

Gibson 5020 dual exhaust system sells for $608 at Jegs (approximate retail price)
If shady seller gets a sale, they'll buy it off amazon for $105.24 and have it sent to the buyer off ebay.

How is that shady? People who don't price shop deserve to pay more.

I've heard of this before but presumed it was an uncommon case. Maybe at the time it was....

It would be funny if Amazon sells out of the item before the auction ends but I presume the "seller" will monitor that pretty closely.

Seems to me that Jegs is the bad one in that case. If someone hates Amazon so much that they'll pay almost 6x higher to avoid Amazon, they're fools !!

In your example a buyer gets an item for less than 50% of what a large popular retailer charges, how is that shady? What do you think of Jegs for selling it for $608, ripoff? Have any idea of the mark-up on clothing, furniture, jewelry? If I wanted that exhaust I'd be happy to save $300 and not care what the seller paid for it.

Originally Posted by Reddy45

How is that shady? People who don't price shop deserve to pay more.

Well, it's technically against Ebay's terms and conditions to list items you dont have possession of. Except in cases where you're an authorized drop shipper and have an agreement with the manufacturer. The seller in question has over 700 items listed and 90% appear to be markups of items Amazon is selling. If you read the description on their listings it states: "All orders are shipped out from our main location in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania." So they're clearly lying.

But I get what you're saying about shopping around. That's how I discovered that seller. I found a great deal they had, found it on Amazon for cheaper, bought it from Amazon, and 2 hours later the Ebay listing had been removed.

Amazon is a great place to shop online.

They are not always the lowest price so it pays (no pun) to shop around and compare prices.

I will do business with any retailer that can provide me what I need at a somewhat reasonable price with the least amount of my effort to obtain the product.

If I know exactly what I need, and it can be delivered to my door in a day or two at a halfway reasonable price, that is how I will go. If it is something that I need to see myself to make sure it is the right product, including the ability to talk over the purchase with a knowledgeable retailer to narrow down my choice of product, well that is what I do.

I am not concerned whether the retailer I choose is aligned with my politics, whether they support the causes that I support, or what salary and benefits they provide to their employees. When I was a young lad in college with no money and no ability to buy much of anything I imagined that when I did have money that I would only support businesses that aligned with my vision.

But life happens, it takes a great effort to earn a living and to be able to buy and own the products needed for a happy life. I have no issues with anyone in what they buy or who they buy it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back