Docsis 3.1 Cable Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new cable modem for my new house. Comcast/Xfinity is the provider and I will be purchasing their 175 mbp package. There is a possibility that I will upgrade to higher speeds in the future.

Would it be a good idea to purchase a DOCSIS 3.1 compatible modem at this point, or should I save the money and purchase a 3.0 compatible unit?

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-Approved-SB8200-Frustration/dp/B07DY16W2Z

Thanks.

Stay away from 3.0

Last year or was it 2 years ago, their list of 3.0 is considered grand father. There are cheap 3.1 out there, get it.

I have that modem and it rocks. I also use a Netgear Nighthawk R9000 which has excellent range. I do have an extender in my garage for my Ring cameras, just to get a stronger signal.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
You live in a mansion and have several people streaming 4K content at the same time?

It doesn't work that way. When they use 3.1 they make the whole trunk more efficient even if you only use little, so they want everyone to move to 3.1 instead on being congested on the 3.0 only traffic / channel / lane.

3.1 outperforms 3.0 in a variety of situations. We went big on bandwidth for a year (comcast special) and i tried back to back 3.0 vs 3.1. We couldn't hit anywhere near full speeds and pings were better on 3.1. My old 3.0 still lives on at a work location where we only pay for a 25mb cheap connection.

The 3.1 won't go into forced obsolescence as soon as the 3.0.

Check the Comcast compatibility guide in your area, don't trust Amazon to make that call (though usually a SURFBoard is going to be on there).

Make sure the cable junction is grounded and the power comes through a lightning arrestor.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I have that modem and it rocks. I also use a Netgear Nighthawk R9000 which has excellent range. I do have an extender in my garage for my Ring cameras, just to get a stronger signal.

I also have that modem, and it does indeed rock.

I picked one up from Amazon Warehouse (their scratch & dent, used returns, floor model site) for just over $100. It arrived in "like new" condition, as advertised.

Unless it's almost free you are getting too much bandwidth. As I posted already I setup WIFI at a church campground. We maxed at 62 clients, several streaming video from Netflix and we barely got to 50 Mbs down. No complaints from anyone about a slow internet.

Granted I have Ubiquity WIFI hardware which tells me a lot of management info, but still 50 Mb went a long way.

Originally Posted by Donald
Unless it's almost free you are getting too much bandwidth. As I posted already I setup WIFI at a church campground. We maxed at 62 clients, several streaming video from Netflix and we barely got to 50 Mbs down. No complaints from anyone about a slow internet.

Granted I have Ubiquity WIFI hardware which tells me a lot of management info, but still 50 Mb went a long way.

50mbit is 1 person netflix'ing 4k and 1 person unable to get a good ping to game(fps)

or about 100 people web browsing/normal

3.1 is "future proof" since 4.0 is still about 2 years away (mid 2021 last I read), but 3.0 will still be around for quite a while.

I always find it funny how others like to tell people how much bandwidth they will need. Everyone has different needs, and your needs are not my needs.
I personally am just fine with my 65 Mbps speed (I think Comcast just upped it to 75?), and the 100Mbps my mom has is way overkill for her needs (but is best/cheapest value combo with cable).

My DOCSIS 3.0 Surfboard SB6141 modem is just fine for me, and has been solid since I started using it in 2014. I had to upgrade to it when Comcast dropped DOCSIS 2.0.
I got my mom a Motorola MB7220, and while a 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0, it allows 110 Mbps on her 100 Mbps plan.

The Surfboard SB6183 is 1/2 the price of what you linked to, but will give you 175 Mbps (and would be fine up to ~350 Mbps) even being DOCSIS 3.0.
DOCSIS will be around for at least 2 more years, probably closer to 5 till it is dropped completely.
I know around me, DOCSIS 2.0 was around till 2014, and DOCSIS 2.0 came out in 2006. One of the big reasons DOCSIS 2.0 needed to go was it did not support IVP 6, and IVP 4 was running out of addresses.

Originally Posted by csandste
So Spectrum gives you a modem and Comcast doesn't. Probably in the base fee. Go figure.

Comcast charges $5-15/month for a modem (cost varies on location).

Any modem with the Broadcom chipset is good. Avoid the Intel Puma chipset modems.

The SB8200 is an excellent modem which I've been using with no problems. My area has DOCSIS 3.1 only on the downstream portion.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by Donald

50mbit is 1 person netflix'ing 4k and 1 person unable to get a good ping to game(fps)

or about 100 people web browsing/normal

Yep... we'd max 50mbps out real quick here. No issues with 180.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back