Tire Plug Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning on the way to work I picked up a what looked like a small bolt in rear tire. Luckily the Nissan dealer is on the way so I went there. I've had plugs in the past but since then most of my tire repairs have been patched. Nissan and others have said plugs hold up just fine. I'm not going to mess with it unless it leaks. Why are patches considered the better way to repair a tire? I've driven years on a plugged tire before.

As long as it's done right they can last 7-10 years.

Originally Posted by buster
This morning on the way to work I picked up a what looked like a small bolt in rear tire. Luckily the Nissan dealer is on the way so I went there. I've had plugs in the past but since then most of my tire repairs have been patched. Nissan and others have said plugs hold up just fine. I'm not going to mess with it unless it leaks. Why are patches considered the better way to repair a tire? I've driven years on a plugged tire before.

It more of a cosmetic thing and looks more professional.
To be honest, if a person doesnt patch the inside properly, it will still leak slowly. While if you plug, chances of it leaking is much slim.

A good plug will usually last the life of the tire. As a teen I plugged a tire and went racing on it that night. It stayed in the tire! You would think a big smokey burnout would pull out a plug but it didn't.

Even the beef jerky looking plugs will hold fine if installed correctly. I've used these on sport bike tires and they held up fine thru some very hard riding.

Like others have stated I've had plugs last the life of the tire. You read up on tire plugging and you will see that it is not recommended but I've never ruined a tire and have plugged around 25 tires. You figure at $12 to $15 dollars to patch one and the inconvenience of taking the tire off and putting the spare on I will keep plugging away.

Originally Posted by Maddog3355
Like others have stated I've had plugs last the life of the tire. You read up on tire plugging and you will see that it is not recommended but I've never ruined a tire and have plugged around 25 tires. You figure at $12 to $15 dollars to patch one and the inconvenience of taking the tire off and putting the spare on I will keep plugging away.

That's what I don't understand and it must be a cosmetic thing because as others have said, they do hold up. The last few times I've had to have a tire repair however, they have been patched. The last plug I had was years ago and it held up fine.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
I've had a few tires plugged, never had a problem with them as long as the tread was still usable.

Same here; a plug is a decent repair, a patch is a better repair and if done properly will last the life of the tire.

I've had them last for the life of the tire, years.

OTOH The mushroom patch and its 17-step installation process is an engineering marvel. You've got to clean the inside of the tire so the new one will stick, then vulcanize it together somehow, push it in with a "cowboy spur", paint it with bead sealer, etc.

Originally Posted by Mainia
The best tire plug kit made in my opinion. The Porsche of plugs. Looks as if they are now also private labeling too. they now have a smaller thinner plug for thin nails so you don't have to open up the hole so much.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/...y%20Seal&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_7181472011

Slims

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Seal-Slim-60CT-NSL-SS-RS/dp/B005IUYPTY?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

Agreed! Using Safety Seal brand installation tools and plugs, I repaired countless dozens of tires all thru the 70's and early 80's. Never had a single repair go bad. Safety Seal brand plugs are indeed superior to the knock offs. As long as the puncture is on the flat contact patch part of the tire, it will work fine. There are cases when the puncture hits a steel cord. If the cord is badly damaged and you can see the broken wires or, the hole cannot be reamed without causing damage to the cord, then the tire is shot. That's fairly uncommon.

Caveats... I don't know if plugs can be used with run-flat tires. They can be used on tires that have the internal sound deadening blanket but your supposed to break the tire down and verify the padding material does not get pushed away.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I've had them last for the life of the tire, years.

OTOH The mushroom patch and its 17-step installation process is an engineering marvel. You've got to clean the inside of the tire so the new one will stick, then vulcanize it together somehow, push it in with a "cowboy spur", paint it with bead sealer, etc.

You forgot the more crucial steps: Hold your left foot up while touching the top of your boot with your right hand followed by hopping on your right leg. With your left arm, pat the top of your head. This invokes the gods that makes rubber glue stick when Venus, Mars and Jupiter are in retrograde with the accretion disk of Saggitarious A's black hole. Do NOT forget this important step or the hour you spent scraping rubber, waiting for the solvent to dry then waiting for sealant to setup then waiting for the final layer of sealant to dry is all for naught.

A plug-patch really is the best repair. Like others have said, I have plugged tires that lasted so long that I forgot I had plugged them. On the other hand, I have plugged some tires that, later on, belt separated right where the plug was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back